What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

RedVee_8

Juniors
Under Gould, Penrith purchased the ownership of many district Clubs (made them their own feeder clubs). We could do the same with the clubs in St George and Illawarra districts.
Yes, there has been a consolidation of club ownership as life has gotten harder for the small entities. But it is more a clubs thing than making them feeder clubs - except for the Chooks trying to do that by buying Narellan Jets and I think, Berkeley in the Sth Coast.

For example, our new CEOs old club Campbelltown Catholic Club has merged with Campbelltown Golf Club and more recently the Campbelltown Bowls Club. Wests Macarthur have a string of smaller clubs in their group now and Canley Vale exservices took on Campbelltown RSL.
In a brief chat I got the impression that he is interested in “like” Clubs (not golf or bowling) and most interested in those in our area, I didn’t ask about Illawarra/Sth Coast because it is St George Leagues Club not the SGI Dragons.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
It’s more about players who do their ACL twice

I did my ACL 8 years ago and I got operated same day as Greg Inglis…….he was on the next next door to me (his 11th knee operation BTW)

Had a great conversation actually…….especially after surgery and coming back to life after the general lol

Great surgeon - top3 in Oz

It never feels the same but is very functional as long as you stretch every day it stays in alignment

But if I had done an ACL in each leg I couldn’t imagine playing local premier league soccer let alone professional sport

The odds of doing a third ACL are very very high and definitely the two ACLs negate performance

There are a few outliers who have had two ACL recos and can come back strong……very few though

I think Rylz had two ACL recos and 5 knee ops by the time he was 18yrs old

But most after doing their second ACL tend to retire not much after the second one

Teddy has had one plus another serious knee injury and he goes for stem cell treatment every year to the USA to keep his knee functioning for high performance sport

Dragon David

First Grade
It’s more about players who do their ACL twice

I did my ACL 8 years ago and I got operated same day as Greg Inglis…….he was on the next next door to me (his 11th knee operation BTW)

Had a great conversation actually…….especially after surgery and coming back to life after the general lol

Great surgeon - top3 in Oz

It never feels the same but is very functional as long as you stretch every day it stays in alignment

But if I had done an ACL in each leg I couldn’t imagine playing local premier league soccer let alone professional sport

The odds of doing a third ACL are very very high and definitely the two ACLs negate performance

There are a few outliers who have had two ACL recos and can come back strong……very few though

I think Rylz had two ACL recos and 5 knee ops by the time he was 18yrs old

But most after doing their second ACL tend to retire not much after the second one

Teddy has had one plus another serious knee injury and he goes for stem cell treatment every year to the USA to keep his knee functioning for high performance sport
Thanks for imparting your experiences with ACL injuries Auntie.G

To have to go through enduring the agony of the injury when it happens followed by the surgery then the long rehab must be a massive turn off and with having two ACL injuries, well that would be devastating. Why would someone risk getting a third ACL injury by playing again?

Brett Morris knew it was time to give the game away when it happened to him at the Roosters a year or so ago and that was his first and will be his only one I hope. But he reached a good age and achieved so much anyway to retire.

So in the case of Jayden Brailey, good luck to him whatever he does and/or where he plays next. The Dragons can ill afford to sign him in my view.

Dragon David

First Grade
When it comes to injuries and whether to play on or not how tough and dedicated was this bloke?

He sure was tough OT and always bounced back from all of the injury setbacks that he went through.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I'm not completely sold on him being a halfback. I have not seen anything from him to suggest he can lead a team around the park in the type of fashion we need.
While he did play at 7 in the SG Ball, he played more of a running 5/8 role than a typical 7. Which worked fine for that division, where defense was not a high priority and more often than not individual brilliance outshone teamwork. There is not a lot of difference in the style of play between himself & Amone, though I do think he has a higher ceiling & better kicking game than Amone. In the end, his injury proneness was his undoing as he was originally ahead of Amone in the pecking order.
Agree- but I would also argue that Hunt is not a pure organizing half back either. I put Hunt a distant seventh behind Cleary, Cherry-Evans, Reynolds, Hynes, Moses and Hughes in that regard. His vision, kicking and passing games are all limited imo.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
At the end of the day all the social media expert opinions on ACL’s and recovery are worth zip…every human body responds differently to treatment and ligament injury/severity varies widely.
Dragons medical team will assess and make a risk assessment on what they see in testing.
It’s a contact sport..everyone carries injuries

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
“Recent evidence suggests that more than 50% of athletes are unable to return to their preinjury level of function after ACLR and between 50% and 100% develop knee osteoarthritis within 5 to 10 years of surgery“

“An athlete between the ages of 10 and 25 years who returned to a pivoting or cutting sport after ACLR was 15 times more likely to sustain an ACL injury in the first 12 months than a previously uninjured athlete.14 Further, the same population was 5 times more likely to suffer a second ACL injury in the first 24 months after RTS compared with an uninjured cohort”

Dont take my word for it.

It’s as clear as the colour of a beer sitting in a schooner.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
It's funny how Hunt would not be considered in the top 5 halfbacks yet as Hooker would be easily top 3 yet he persists on playing halfback for Saints and the coaches lets him get away with it. He is so more effective at hooker it is not funny. His game goes to a different level.

Saints missed out on a possible spine of Sloan/Amone/Sullivan/Hunt which I was dying to see as I honestly thought give that spine a few years and it would be like the Edwards/Luai/Cleary/Api spine. All thanks to Hook and Hunt it never happened. I honestly feel that if Dean Young got the nod ahead of Hook 3 years ago we would have seen a lot more of that spine especially since he was part of their junior coaching. Young would have put the team ahead of the capt. A huge opportunity missed by a dumb decision in the end to appoint Hook.

dannyt

Coach
It's funny how Hunt would not be considered in the top 5 halfbacks yet as Hooker would be easily top 3 yet he persists on playing halfback for Saints and the coaches lets him get away with it. He is so more effective at hooker it is not funny. His game goes to a different level.

Saints missed out on a possible spine of Sloan/Amone/Sullivan/Hunt which I was dying to see as I honestly thought give that spine a few years and it would be like the Edwards/Luai/Cleary/Api spine. All thanks to Hook and Hunt it never happened. I honestly feel that if Dean Young got the nod ahead of Hook 3 years ago we would have seen a lot more of that spine especially since he was part of their junior coaching. Young would have put the team ahead of the capt. A huge opportunity missed by a dumb decision in the end to appoint Hook.
I agree. Our calfback is a real hunt.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
There is a rumour (I think in the mercury) about Saints going in hard for Jerome Luai in Nov 1 and will offer big dollars. I think that would be a super buy for the Saints if they can land him. He may be arrogant but I like the way he plays. He impressed me in the WC last year for Samoa. Without Cleary he seemed to do well.

hewi

Bench
There is a rumour (I think in the mercury) about Saints going in hard for Jerome Luai in Nov 1 and will offer big dollars. I think that would be a super buy for the Saints if they can land him. He may be arrogant but I like the way he plays. He impressed me in the WC last year for Samoa. Without Cleary he seemed to do well.

Would be nice but why would he go from the king of the castle to the cellar? Uproot his family probably to Wollongong, our last marque signing was Bunt and look at that. Just my two bobs worth but it doesn’t matter how good the 1/2 and 5/8 are if the forwards are not making space. Ours don’t, priority is props IMO.

BLM01

First Grade

Yep Hunt selected utility value for Aust suggest Top 3 but as a club 9 without the benefit of all stars around him, I see Hunt Top 8 hooker just
with the likes of Harry Smith Cook API Egan Robson JMK and Mahoney etc
Top 2-3 for QLD maybe
It always seems his ability to play 7 gets him in somehow for Aus?

BLM01

First Grade
Would be nice but why would he go from the king of the castle to the cellar? Uproot his family probably to Wollongong, our last marque signing was Bunt and look at that. Just my two bobs worth but it doesn’t matter how good the 1/2 and 5/8 are if the forwards are not making space. Ours don’t, priority is props IMO.
Very true but good spine players are much harder to find snd rarely available and are keepers in the current NRL climate
You can build a team easily around a good spine….. and coach…. And club… and GM… and BOD. I think that about covers it
Yikes how are we going ATM.

TheRev

First Grade
I can't see us landing a Luai or Mam.. I just think they are too high profile.. the dogs with Ciraldo and half the panthers club, combined with whatever TPA's or pub shares Gould will come up with.. for sure they will go close to whatever our offer is... and thats if he doesnt stay put or go to the Roosters or some such. Mam I dont think the Broncos will lose.. but if they do again he will have his choice of clubs, these guys are super rare and hotly contested.

Not to say we shouldn't give it a red hot go mind you..... and thats the dilemma with Amone right now, I also dont think hes part of our longterm plans.. if he could tackle its a different story as he grows it could be lock, centre, 2nd rower perhaps..... but we might not have a choice but to keep him.. we cant release without another option first.. well Hunt/KFlan.. maybe we could... but we would need to find another running 5/8 in the competition to slot into his spot.. which are out there (running players much easier to source than halfbacks).. but not with over 2yrs first grade experience like we put into Amone..

Anyway this isnt keeping me awake at night, its the clubs problem.. but I still just wait for the day when I log on here, and we actually get one of these homebres locked in!

Latest posts