What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

steerlerbab

Juniors
Penrith winning their 3rd premiership shows us the way to be a top 4 side again. I remember for a while they were buying "has beens" and were getting nowhere. Remember Soward, Malonie, Thamou, etc and that was getting Penrith nowhere. Then they decided to tap into their juniors and develop them: Cleary, Luai, Crichton, etc and 3 premiership.

We followed Penrith in getting "has-beens": Norman, Mbye, Burgess, etc and we all know the result.

We have had a flurry of young players come thru in the last few years: Sloane, Amone, Fegai, Couchmans, Connor, M Molo, etc to name a few but all are rough diamonds.

2024 should be the year to finally develop these rough gems.

Then they decided to tap into their juniors and develop them: Cleary, Luai, Crichton, etc and 3 premiership.
Spot on. Investing in our juniors is something we have neglected for too long. Reading dispatches there is to be a concerted effort from the club to now turn round this, no doubt influenced by Flanno since he came back on board. With the proposed (or is it a done deal) local junior salary cap exempt deal, there is every chance we will be able to hold onto our very best kids too.

I read that we have over 6,000 players in our junior areas. That includes male and female and I expect touch and tag players.
The question is… Can we make something of them?
You better believe we can @ RedVee_8.

This was held last week, Flanno attended and was impressed.

Perhaps this post should be in the Juniors thread.

Gomarchin

Juniors
Spot on. Investing in our juniors is something we have neglected for too long. Reading dispatches there is to be a concerted effort from the club to now turn round this, no doubt influenced by Flanno since he came back on board. With the proposed (or is it a done deal) local junior salary cap exempt deal, there is every chance we will be able to hold onto our very best kids too.
Isn't this the reason Hook was appointed for 3 years??! He's whole "invest in juniors" and "look what I did at the Panthers with their juniors".

In the end it was 3 wasted years. I think the juniors are there, but we don't have the right people in place to identify, retain and train them to be elite first grade footballers.

Hopefully, Flano can fix this.

dungay dragon

Juniors
One of the stars of the Koori Knockout , Lattrell Siegwelt , has agreed to a Train n Trial contract with the Dragons for 2024 .
Seigwelt has speed to burn scoring 3 tries in the semi for Walgett
He has played primarily at Wing and Fullback but imagine he could handle any backline position..
Safe under the high ball , a good defender and an excellent goal kicker..
Only young and needs to fill out but shows plenty of promise....

Illusion

Bench
Isn't this the reason Hook was appointed for 3 years??! He's whole "invest in juniors" and "look what I did at the Panthers with their juniors".

In the end it was 3 wasted years. I think the juniors are there, but we don't have the right people in place to identify, retain and train them to be elite first grade footballers.

Hopefully, Flano can fix this.
Or maybe its the coaches not giving them ago because they are only worried about their own job , so by not taking chances with the young blokes , gives them (The coach) a better chance of getting an extension ........

possm

Coach
I read that we have over 6,000 players in our junior areas. That includes male and female and I expect touch and tag players.
The question is… Can we make something of them?
Loyalty, is a big problem. We haave had some juniors who turned out to be outstanding players at other clubs. If we want to truely develop our juniors and keep the outstanding ones, we first need to get some great coaching, fitnes, and recruitment staff for the pathways system. No penny pinching and we will have as good depth in our ranks as Penrith do.

possm

Coach
Or maybe its the coaches not giving them ago because they are only worried about their own job , so by not taking chances with the young blokes , gives them (The coach) a better chance of getting an extension ........
I don't know! We talk up some of our juniors only to find they are not up to standard. Some a little flashy in attack but very suspect when it comes to discipline and defense.

TruSaint

Referee
F7aFPn-aoAAHNQB

One of the stars of the Koori Knockout , Lattrell Siegwelt , has agreed to a Train n Trial contract with the Dragons for 2024 .
Seigwelt has speed to burn scoring 3 tries in the semi for Walgett
He has played primarily at Wing and Fullback but imagine he could handle any backline position..
Safe under the high ball , a good defender and an excellent goal kicker..
Only young and needs to fill out but shows plenty of promise....
I think you will find we had Latrell early this year and let him go. Won a comp with Wagga Kangaroos. Very good player.

Loyalty, is a big problem. We haave had some juniors who turned out to be outstanding players at other clubs. If we want to truely develop our juniors and keep the outstanding ones, we first need to get some great coaching, fitnes, and recruitment staff for the pathways system. No penny pinching and we will have as good depth in our ranks as Penrith do.
I think this is in train, being led by Shane Flanagan with the appointment of fitness duo Dan Lawson, Andrew Gray, The latter has a reputation as a guru in his field and was on Bennetts staff in 2010. We all know what happened that year. Dean Young will likely be Flannos defense assistant, Ryan Carr his attack man while a former player Shane Millard, who also had a Pathways stint with us, is our new Recruitment and Pathways Manager. Gotta say his last two employers, Tigers and Dogs, does not exactly fill me with confidence.

Last edited:
I'm now 69 and my grandfather was an avid St George supporter.and because of this I sat on his knee watching the the Saints play ritht through the early part of those 11 in a row until I could sit on the seat beside him.
About same age. One of my earliest memories is my older brother forcing our way up to the SCG fence, with the rain teeming down, umbrella open for my first live Dragons match, the 1963 GF. We stayed there for the entire game, partially soaked but jubilant after witnessing close up our 8th premiership on the trot.:)

Last edited: