What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dea

Juniors
Why i look most days for a significant signing, i am realising that Flanno is so late to the table that most of the good pickings have gone and it may not happen for 2024. I can’t blame him for the club stuffing things up. He has so much to fix, including our reputation of being a team/club worthy coming to. That may take part of a season to show the changes in our team performances. We are so far down the only way is up, but it is a long and slow journey.

KingFlanno7

Juniors
Dragons have basically sat on their hands for 12 months and watch all other clubs engage in the transfer market...we are still doing the same now. I see players being transferred on a daily basis, some of reasonable quality eg Sean Keppie..solid and big body, and yet we remain paralysed for some reason. We'll see if the coach knows best??
Sean who? jesus christ we are clutching at straws.. 🤣 surely some posters are just taking the piss and dont actually want to see us do good, probably griffin and mary supporters

one major superstar foward and one major superstar back
With respect, where do you suggest we pluck these 'superstars' from as the NRL cupboard is almost bare for us thanks to our slow as mud FO. There is always a chance for Flanno to plumb the Super League. Be plenty of now matured ex pat Aussies, promising or seasoned Poms too, just itching to have a crack at our superior NRL.

Last edited:
With respect, where do you suggest we pluck these 'superstars' from as the NRL cupboard is almost bare for us thanks to our slow as mud FO. There is always a chance for Flanno to plumb the Super League. Be plenty of now matured ex pat Aussies, promising or seasoned Poms too, just itching to have a crack at our superior NRL.
It has been mentioned here before, but surely Dean Young would know of players in the North Queensland system who would be worth a look.
I really thought we would have signed one of their up and coming forwards or backs by now.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I look at how good Jackson Ford went at the Warriors this year and think there may be so many more like him at the Dragons which have just been used so poorly by Hook but are actually good when they are played to their potential. Flanno has the 2 Manly boys and brothers from the Strom that had a season in reserves which will be like new signings if they come good. I also noticed that there were a lot of Saints juniors in rep teams. The juniors did not go as well but it seems that Saints have some good individual players that will come good and if they do will need upgrades.

A lot of people are saying that the Dogs and tigers recruited well for 2024 but the Saints signing of a premiership winning coach in Flanno may prove to be the best buy for 2024 out of the 3 clubs.

Any chance Flanno can bring back Paul Vaughn to the Dragons from England. He would be a great guy to bring back to the forward pack. I just saw this reported on Paul Vaughn in Sept 2023.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Former NRL star Paul Vaughan is facing a long suspension in the Super League for a bizarre incident.

The 32-year-old middle forward was referred straight to the judiciary and is facing a four-to-six week ban for a Grade E charge.

The Warrington prop is under fire for attempting to drag St Helens player Sione Mata'utia to his feet following a tackle during their clash.

Mata'utia - also a former NRL star with the Knights - was taken to ground by Vaughan and then looked injured, band eing slow to get to his feet, prompting Vaughan to grab his shirt pull.
If found guilty and banned, Vaughan's Super League season will be over.

Prominent long-time Australian commentator Andrew Voss said, "this charge is a gee up, surely" in response to the Vaughan vision on X, formerly Twitter.

It would be a major blow for the Wolves given Vaughan has been arguably the form forward of the Super League this season, having run the most metres in the competition.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Always been a fan a Paul Vaughn. Better buy for Saints than what is left in the NRL imo.

Parko1310

Juniors
I look at how good Jackson Ford went at the Warriors this year and think there may be so many more like him at the Dragons which have just been used so poorly by Hook but are actually good when they are played to their potential. Flanno has the 2 Manly boys and brothers from the Strom that had a season in reserves which will be like new signings if they come good. I also noticed that there were a lot of Saints juniors in rep teams. The juniors did not go as well but it seems that Saints have some good individual players that will come good and if they do will need upgrades.

A lot of people are saying that the Dogs and tigers recruited well for 2024 but the Saints signing of a premiership winning coach in Flanno may prove to be the best buy for 2024 out of the 3 clubs.

Any chance Flanno can bring back Paul Vaughn to the Dragons from England. He would be a great guy to bring back to the forward pack. I just saw this reported on Paul Vaughn in Sept 2023.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Former NRL star Paul Vaughan is facing a long suspension in the Super League for a bizarre incident.

The 32-year-old middle forward was referred straight to the judiciary and is facing a four-to-six week ban for a Grade E charge.

The Warrington prop is under fire for attempting to drag St Helens player Sione Mata'utia to his feet following a tackle during their clash.

Mata'utia - also a former NRL star with the Knights - was taken to ground by Vaughan and then looked injured, band eing slow to get to his feet, prompting Vaughan to grab his shirt pull.

Prominent long-time Australian commentator Andrew Voss said, "this charge is a gee up, surely" in response to the Vaughan vision on X, formerly Twitter.

It would be a major blow for the Wolves given Vaughan has been arguably the form forward of the Super League this season, having run the most metres in the competition.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Always been a fan a Paul Vaughn. Better buy for Saints than what is left in the NRL imo.
In regard to Vaughn, no thank you. He was sacked, he cannot be brought back. He's perfect for Super League, where you can muck up, put in half assed efforts at training and get by on talent.

in regard to our juniors, I watched a little of the schoolboys match (not the full replay just yet) but was pretty impressed. In the snippet I watched, I thought Halangahu looked good when he had his hands on the ball but wasn't really involved too much. Finau Latu was a massive standout. Huge, atheltic, strong, involved in defence, had an offload. He looks amazing. Tonga, I only saw a very small part of his stint but he also looked good. Showed an ability to offload, but also run and use his massive frame. Also noted he had a pass on him which was surprising and something I really liked. A body that big draws a lot of defenders, so having a pass to go along with it is dangerous. He threw a pass out the back that resulted in a try where the Aussies stripped PNG for numbers on the edge. It was the ball in Tonga's hands that drew in the defence for that try.

Pair these guys with the Couchman's and the likes of Egan and Stewart that I think will make their debuts at some stage next season, and then you've got Ackers and more, and we're spoiled for choice going into the future if they can kick on. We do need to recruit some real forward leaders though because these guys can't come in to grade and have their confidence damaged by getting smashed every week by older, more experienced packs.

possm

Coach
It has been mentioned here before, but surely Dean Young would know of players in the North Queensland system who would be worth a look.
I really thought we would have signed one of their up and coming forwards or backs by now.
Dean Young will do all he can, and have is figure's crossed doing it, to white ant Flano. We can't have Flano as being a cuccess because he might just land an extension.

possm

Coach

Unfit in 2023 but super fit in 2024, sit back and watch Flano at work in 2024.

By the way, I think Suli would be great on the left edge. However, if Lomax goes to fullback and Suli goes to left edge forward, who will be our big, speedy centers?

slippery5

Juniors

You do realise he was punted because he had numerous unreported misdemeanors.

KingFlanno7

Juniors
My view is Suli would be better suited in the pack, perhaps an edgie. I like him, what he lacks in skill he makes up for in brute power and energy.
Honestly isnt a bad idea, he plays like an edge forward as it is.. Wouldnt be much of a suprise if it happens but he will probably chase the money and end up at the tigers.

KingFlanno7

Juniors

Surely this is a gee up?

TheRev

Coach
In regard to Vaughn, no thank you. He was sacked, he cannot be brought back. He's perfect for Super League, where you can muck up, put in half assed efforts at training and get by on talent.

in regard to our juniors, I watched a little of the schoolboys match (not the full replay just yet) but was pretty impressed. In the snippet I watched, I thought Halangahu looked good when he had his hands on the ball but wasn't really involved too much. Finau Latu was a massive standout. Huge, atheltic, strong, involved in defence, had an offload. He looks amazing. Tonga, I only saw a very small part of his stint but he also looked good. Showed an ability to offload, but also run and use his massive frame. Also noted he had a pass on him which was surprising and something I really liked. A body that big draws a lot of defenders, so having a pass to go along with it is dangerous. He threw a pass out the back that resulted in a try where the Aussies stripped PNG for numbers on the edge. It was the ball in Tonga's hands that drew in the defence for that try.

Pair these guys with the Couchman's and the likes of Egan and Stewart that I think will make their debuts at some stage next season, and then you've got Ackers and more, and we're spoiled for choice going into the future if they can kick on. We do need to recruit some real forward leaders though because these guys can't come in to grade and have their confidence damaged by getting smashed every week by older, more experienced packs.
Yah Unfortunately we have 2-3yrs (atleast) before these kids are dominating their rival 1st grade forwards (couchmans off to a very good start for their age), but we desperately needed that alpha dog prop 'now' to take Lawrie, Sele and Molo etc on board... so that our young kids could come onto the bench for short spells at their own pace/readiness...

Those leaders are sadly very difficult to sign.. especially getting one to break contract which is what we need.. Vaughan would actually make a huge impact on the field, but I think everyone is correct, I think he is so laid back off the field, and seems like the dude you dont want influencing the young ones.. throw in JDB who tbh I do love and I think as a trainer hes probably one of the best... but hes a partyboy also.. I wish we had a james graham or a finucane or just that professional forward leader.. even if they were a bit past their best.. maybe in the future its a Couchman, but thats some time away.

I also noticed that there were a lot of Saints juniors in rep teams. The juniors did not go as well
I beg to differ Slippery. If you are referring to the three Saints juniors in the Junior Kangaroos (18 yr Schoolboys), Halangahu, Finau and Loko Jr, all three stood out for mine, without a word of bias. The trio have now been put on long term contracts, is my understanding.