What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

thebigredv

First Grade
If we were to sign AFB, the feeling wouldn't be jubilation for me, it would be anxiety and hope. Anxiety that he will be a giant mistake (like Hunt), hope that he delivers on his cost.

The negative for signing an elite player is that their stocks are at a maximum. They are never going to give you a return far in excess of their cost like a Mam did this year. So no real chance of improvement and massive potential for disappointment.

Hence not fussed if we get AFB. I like to invest with potential for serious growth.
I get what you are saying and it’s legitimate.
Whenever you fork out that much it’s a risk.

In this instance I feel differently.

Firstly I wouldn’t compare him to Hunt. Hunt has proven to have significant mental weakness in a game sense and, while clearly talented, is ambivalent about the team and club/ supporter base he plays for.

AFB can bring a powerhouse game and all, perhaps be a leader of sorts at least through his actions but him coming more importantly will end the trend of us being untouchable and can lead to others joining. Hard to put a price on that.

There a players out there that could give us more bang for our buck in 2025 but right now we can’t get them to the club. It can’t all be trust in juniors. That’s mostly not eventuated over the last couple decades.

You would have to think that AFB is going to the Dragons, I read an article on the NRL website that the Sharks are focussing on junior development and not so much on big marquee signings. Mind you I also think that we should be doing the same and not let our pathways go astray like they have in the last few years. Who knows really what is going on behind the scene, we have given him a really good offer.
Shhhhhh it also spoke about chasing the right ones when they are available and having made cap space etc etc.

Anyway, Dragons fans need to learn what we have, the more quiet your club is about a player, the more likely they are in up their eye balls talking to them.

be patient (Flanno works the same way)

Trifili13

Juniors
If figures being talked about for Luai are correct that the Tigers are paying $6m over 5 years an average of $1.2m a season and Penrith of $850k per season, that's almost a 50% difference. Suggest it's a combination of the Tigers overpaying and what bottom teams have to pay to attract top end players and the big advantage top teams have by paying lower for the same player and having more money to spend in their cap.

Dragon David

First Grade
If figures being talked about for Luai are correct that the Tigers are paying $6m over 5 years an average of $1.2m a season and Penrith of $850k per season, that's almost a 50% difference. Suggest it's a combination of the Tigers overpaying and what bottom teams have to pay to attract top end players and the big advantage top teams have by paying lower for the same player and having more money to spend in their cap.
At the end of the day, and I hope there are many for us Dragons faithfuls, big money has to be paid to pay for good players. Take for instance Jon Rahm. He had said many times that he would not jump ship and join LIV Golf, but alas, when big fat dollar signs followed by large dollar bill numbers are offered to him, he quickly said Bye Bye suckers to the PGA. Another kid who plays baseball in the US named Shohei Ohtani has joined the Dodgers for a reported $1.1B over 10 years. There are many examples of soccer players in Europe and UK that are paid huge sums as well. Many other sports the same for all of this century at least.

It is unfortunately the way things go nowadays and there is just no true loyalty shown by anyone when there is big money on offer to set them and their families up for life and more. This is what you and I would also do. When of course guys played sport 50 or so more years ago, money paid out in many sports wasn't that high - you take golf and the US Masters Golf. In 1970, the total purse prizemoney was a paltry $125,000 for this prestigious tournament. Now for 2024 it is $18M, with first prize of $3.24M.

In the old days people played for the love of it and in the case of league most of the guys played for pittance in 50/60/70 etc period and they had to work in club cellars, being garbo men etc. They stayed true to the clubs and the fans loved that they did.

It is only fair that we recognise the value of certain players in league and if they can get the top moneys during their 10-14 years service, then why not?

Penrith cannot hang onto all their good players. They demand more because of their currently strong winning nature and after winning their third premiership in a row their leading players have become hot property and hard to keep them because of salary cap restrictions.

If we land a few high priced players then that would be par for what most clubs will pay but it will help us become a better team - being positive here. All clubs have players that they will pay big dollars to keep. Many are also let go if they don't see value in them anymore and have genuinely good replacements coming along in the lower grades.

We as bottom of the ladder club would have to pay out big for a couple of players but it is in keeping with other teams anyway. Just a couple of beauties and we can be anything.

steerlerbab

Juniors
Is Luai worth 1.2M? What made Luai look good was his partnership with Cleary. In state of Origin 2 without Cleary, Luai seemed totally lost and for State of Origin 3, he was replaced by Cody.

Anyway, here are the players for half and five eight at Tiger town:

Jerome Luai from Penrith for 5 years
Latu Fainu from Manly for 5 years
Jayden Sullivan from Dragons for 5 years
Aiden Sezer from Super League for 2 years
Adam Douehi for 1 year
Did I miss anybody?

In a team of 30, 5 players covering half and 5/8!

Believe me it will a winter of discontent at tiger town. By June 2024, couple of guys won't get a chance and they will want out. Let's wait and see.

Trifili13

Juniors
At the end of the day, and I hope there are many for us Dragons faithfuls, big money has to be paid to pay for good players. Take for instance Jon Rahm. He had said many times that he would not jump ship and join LIV Golf, but alas, when big fat dollar signs followed by large dollar bill numbers are offered to him, he quickly said Bye Bye suckers to the PGA. Another kid who plays baseball in the US named Shohei Ohtani has joined the Dodgers for a reported $1.1B over 10 years. There are many examples of soccer players in Europe and UK that are paid huge sums as well. Many other sports the same for all of this century at least.

It is unfortunately the way things go nowadays and there is just no true loyalty shown by anyone when there is big money on offer to set them and their families up for life and more. This is what you and I would also do. When of course guys played sport 50 or so more years ago, money paid out in many sports wasn't that high - you take golf and the US Masters Golf. In 1970, the total purse prizemoney was a paltry $125,000 for this prestigious tournament. Now for 2024 it is $18M, with first prize of $3.24M.

In the old days people played for the love of it and in the case of league most of the guys played for pittance in 50/60/70 etc period and they had to work in club cellars, being garbo men etc. They stayed true to the clubs and the fans loved that they did.

It is only fair that we recognise the value of certain players in league and if they can get the top moneys during their 10-14 years service, then why not?

Penrith cannot hang onto all their good players. They demand more because of their currently strong winning nature and after winning their third premiership in a row their leading players have become hot property and hard to keep them because of salary cap restrictions.

If we land a few high priced players then that would be par for what most clubs will pay but it will help us become a better team - being positive here. All clubs have players that they will pay big dollars to keep. Many are also let go if they don't see value in them anymore and have genuinely good replacements coming along in the lower grades.

We as bottom of the ladder club would have to pay out big for a couple of players but it is in keeping with other teams anyway. Just a couple of beauties and we can be anything.
Agree with what you say DD. I have no issue with people earning as much as someone is willing to pay them. Was just pointing out what the bottom teams have to pay for top talent and then cross every finger and toe and pray that they are able to translate that talent to their new team and bring you success otherwise your cap is screwed for several years.

Dragon David

First Grade
Agree with what you say DD. I have no issue with people earning as much as someone is willing to pay them. Was just pointing out what the bottom teams have to pay for top talent and then cross every finger and toe and pray that they are able to translate that talent to their new team and bring you success otherwise your cap is screwed for several years.
Very true Trifili. I agree with what you say. It would be devastating to pay out lots and they don't turn out the way you want them to and the dough is wasted. Not a good comparison I know, but it is like looking at some recipe that looks delicious only to find the dish not tasting as good as you hoped and a worst comparison is marrying someone who looked the goods and then finding out they are really shit once they have tied the knot. :D

qld redvee

Juniors
Trifili ,
also helps when you have a junior nurery thats producing so that you have a succession plan and dont have to pay overs ,, something that we hope happens for us

justadragon

Bench

Trust me Dave Panthers wont miss a beat when Luai goes, their pathway system is so good it will just about be a ready made replacement no matter who it is. We should aspire to their pathways standard , and we wouldnt be chasing big name players and trying to get them by paying them huge overs.

Is Luai worth 1.2M? What made Luai look good was his partnership with Cleary. In state of Origin 2 without Cleary, Luai seemed totally lost and for State of Origin 3, he was replaced by Cody.

Adam Douehi for 1 year
Did I miss anybody?

Believe me it will a winter of discontent at tiger town. By June 2024, couple of guys won't get a chance and they will want out. Let's wait and see.
Luai if he joins them will be in 2025.

Dragon David

First Grade
Trust me Dave Panthers wont miss a beat when Luai goes, their pathway system is so good it will just about be a ready made replacement no matter who it is. We should aspire to their pathways standard , and we wouldnt be chasing big name players and trying to get them by paying them huge overs.
Very true justa. We will have that set up one day - you mark my words!!

redV06

Juniors
DRAGONS EXPECT ADDIN FONUA-BLAKE TO MAKE CALL ON $4.5 MILLION DEAL BEFORE CHRISTMAS

St George Illawarra coach Shane Flanagan has revealed when he expects Addin Fonua-Blake to make a call on his future, with the potential signing set to impact Ben Hunt’s Dragons career.

Paul Crawley
3 min read
December 17, 2023 - 4:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Shane Flanagan is hoping Addin Fonua-Blake will give St George Illawarra fans plenty to celebrate in the countdown to Christmas.

And the Dragons coach is confident it could also end up being the lure to keep unsettled skipper Ben Hunt at the Dragons for the rest of his career.

In the wake of Jarome Luai’s decision to tell the Panthers that he will be on the move in 2025, the Warriors wrecking ball is expected to create the next seismic shift in the NRL player market by dropping his own bombshell in the coming days.

The other off-contract player creating huge interest is North Queensland’s Tom Dearden, although the Cowboys five-eighth is not expected to make a call on his career until well into the new year.

But with Wests Tigers and the Bulldogs now in a shootout for Luai’s services, the speculation in recent days is that the Tigers and Bulldogs have both pulled out of the fight for the rampaging prop.

That leaves the Dragons in the box seat to land Fonua-Blake, with the Sharks their biggest threat.

The Dragons have reportedly offered Fonua-Blake $4.5 million over four years.

And Flanagan confirmed he was expecting a decision imminently.

“We are hoping for a decision before Christmas,” Flanagan said.

“We have had a fair bit of dialogue the last couple of days so we are hoping this week.”

Asked what it would mean to land the man rated in the top-three props in the game, Flanagan added: “He would be enormous.

“It could be the start of the turnaround.

“We need some elite representative type players and in my opinion he is one of the best front rowers in the game.

“That is the start of the process we want to take. To get some real quality players to the club and he would be the start of it.”

Flanagan also said it could end up keeping the 33-year-old Hunt at the club until the end of his career.

Ben Hunt’s desire for success has led to ongoing debate over his future at the Dragons.
Ben Hunt’s desire for success has led to ongoing debate over his future at the Dragons.

“That is the start of the process we want to take. To get some real quality players to the club and he would be the start of it.”

Flanagan also said it could end up keeping the 33-year-old Hunt at the club until the end of his career.

While Hunt has already indicated he would at least stay until the end of 2024, Flanagan was confident signing Fonua-Blake would all-but extinguish Hunt’s desire to leave the club.

The Dragons are also chasing a top-shelf backrower with the Cowboys duo of Heilum Luki and young tearaway Kulikefu Finefeuiaki at the top of their hit list.

“I am sure Ben won’t want to go anywhere (else),” Flanagan said.

“It is just (about knowing) where we are heading.

“His frustration has been about the club not winning.

“He wants to win.

“He wants to win a comp before he retires, and I understand all that.

“We all have the same ambitions and hopes.

“We want to change the narrative. We want to be a winning club and we are starting that process.”

While Dearden is also in high demand, his agent Sam Ayoub said recently Dearden was in no rush to get the deal done.

It is understood up to six clubs have shown an interest in Dearden.

But the feeling around the game is that if the Cowboys make a competitive offer, Dearden will end up staying at North Queensland.

“Tom is in a good position whether it be now, in January, or March, April,” Ayoub told this masthead last month.

“I don’t want to heap any pressure on him so I won’t be talking about it publicly.

“He is on the market but there is no urgency for either he or I or the Cowboys to jump into it.

“They know my position and we will assess it in due course.”

TruSaint

Referee

That's what makes them a powerhouse. I remember people saying when they lost Kikau and Api, how it would hurt them.

So long as they have Cleary, and a nursery coming through, they will be there at the end of the season.

slippery5

Juniors

Adam Douehi for 1 year
Did I miss anybody?

Yeah, not sure about comments on Luai, did you see his performance in World cup without Cleary??????

Dragon David

First Grade
DRAGONS EXPECT ADDIN FONUA-BLAKE TO MAKE CALL ON $4.5 MILLION DEAL BEFORE CHRISTMAS

St George Illawarra coach Shane Flanagan has revealed when he expects Addin Fonua-Blake to make a call on his future, with the potential signing set to impact Ben Hunt’s Dragons career.

Paul Crawley
3 min read

Shane Flanagan is hoping Addin Fonua-Blake will give St George Illawarra fans plenty to celebrate in the countdown to Christmas.

And the Dragons coach is confident it could also end up being the lure to keep unsettled skipper Ben Hunt at the Dragons for the rest of his career.

In the wake of Jarome Luai’s decision to tell the Panthers that he will be on the move in 2025, the Warriors wrecking ball is expected to create the next seismic shift in the NRL player market by dropping his own bombshell in the coming days.

The other off-contract player creating huge interest is North Queensland’s Tom Dearden, although the Cowboys five-eighth is not expected to make a call on his career until well into the new year.

But with Wests Tigers and the Bulldogs now in a shootout for Luai’s services, the speculation in recent days is that the Tigers and Bulldogs have both pulled out of the fight for the rampaging prop.

That leaves the Dragons in the box seat to land Fonua-Blake, with the Sharks their biggest threat.

“We have had a fair bit of dialogue the last couple of days so we are hoping this week.”

Asked what it would mean to land the man rated in the top-three props in the game, Flanagan added: “He would be enormous.

“We need some elite representative type players and in my opinion he is one of the best front rowers in the game.

While Hunt has already indicated he would at least stay until the end of 2024, Flanagan was confident signing Fonua-Blake would all-but extinguish Hunt’s desire to leave the club.

The Dragons are also chasing a top-shelf backrower with the Cowboys duo of Heilum Luki and young tearaway Kulikefu Finefeuiaki at the top of their hit list.

“He wants to win.

“We want to change the narrative. We want to be a winning club and we are starting that process.”

While Dearden is also in high demand, his agent Sam Ayoub said recently Dearden was in no rush to get the deal done.

But the feeling around the game is that if the Cowboys make a competitive offer, Dearden will end up staying at North Queensland.

“Tom is in a good position whether it be now, in January, or March, April,” Ayoub told this masthead last month.

“I don’t want to heap any pressure on him so I won’t be talking about it publicly.

“He is on the market but there is no urgency for either he or I or the Cowboys to jump into it.

Thanks for this post redV06.

TheRev

Coach

Sounds really promising if they have been chatting heaps these last few days.. sounds like we r the last offer standing. At this point im still assuming its 2025.
This is frustrating.. totally within his rights.. but the more months drag on.. the more chance that another competitor comes onto the market.. or they up their offer after we take one of their 2nd rowers etc..

jak

Bench

Paul Crawley
3 min read

“He wants to win.

thanks for posting mate.

And it's not 'tiddley winks' either.
Serious injury or illness strikes harder when a marquee player involved

The Word

Juniors
This is frustrating.. totally within his rights.. but the more months drag on.. the more chance that another competitor comes onto the market.. or they up their offer after we take one of their 2nd rowers etc..
Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. The main problem for the Cowboys is fitting him under their cap. If they do, no doubt it will make some of their promising young forwards available. Snap one of them up and keep looking for a half for 2025 could be the worst case scenario here.