What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

The Word

Juniors

possm

Coach
I have read a couple of times that during the prolonged process to replace the Steelers, St George tried to take ownership of that share (25% then I think) but were denied by the NRL and the Steelers.
That would have lead to a 75% St G - 25% WIN Corp shareholder split and a resolution to the 50/50 stalemate
I believe Illawarra has borrowed funds from the Gordons and Win, they also owed bunds to St George Leagues which were largely reflected in a debt to the NRL by the Dragons.

The Gordons WIN offer was way below the highest offer and in my opinion, the highest offer should have been the winning bid for the shares. But the end deal eliminated the Gordons' WIN and NRL loans.

On reflection, St George Leagues Club was too generous to Illawarra. Maybe a 70/30 split in shareholding was more appropriate given the rubbish at the Board level that filled this deal. I am sure many palms were greased when arriving at a 50/50 share split, with the lower bid being the successful bid.

BLM01

First Grade
Surely Volkman's signing was subject to a medical clearance, which would mean we don't have to pay anything.
Correct. And obviously it was hence the yellow bib. You could see he appeared tackle shy for Samoa.
Anyone who thinks that Volkman or both him & Warriors were not aware of his shoulder issues is living in Utopia or Haran land. Why else would they let him go from a 2 year contract immediately to sign a 1 year although I think the missing Aus card was used in the media.

possm

Coach

Looks like Allen will need further examination but not looking at all good Kit.
OK, both players were only wanted for a year. We will lose the 300k for Allend but avoid having to pay for Volkman. Let's put is all behind us and go full on to sign Mam.

So it could be a Hunt/Mam halves combo with K Flannagan in the 9 jumper and Liddle at 14. No delay get on with it Flanno, we have no time to waste.

BLM01

First Grade
Not that I know anything about it at all, but it doesn’t seem like a smart move to make if you knew you had an injury that would put you out for most of the year. Why not stay on your two year deal to recover and get another chance to play again in 2025. And if it’s career threatening, get two years of salary instead of one.
Because Volkman only just came back from leave when we were talking and Warriors and him knew of a potential issue but maybe not severity is my guess. Let us do the due diligence and pay for it with a view for potential 1st grade time since we wanted him. He would not of got that over there. Calculated risk which could of benefited all had it been minor until it was investigated. Now Warriors happy not to go through and suffer the burden of having him wasted on their books for a year of his contract. We are minus a player but little financial impact.
Volklman and his management have lost out on this gamble.

justadragon

Bench
Volkman gave up a 2 year Warriors contract to join our club. I doubt he would have done that if he knew how bad his shoulder was.
I can see your point mate but I think that there is more to it than meets the eye. Volkman and his management and the Warriors knew the Dragons were desperate for a half cover. He was touted as the next big thing after Johnson, he was on a two year deal, but yet not a peep from the Warriors to leave and go to a 1 year deal with the possibility of playing first grade. So lets look at the facts, the Warriors now dont have to pay him, I dont know if there will be compensation, maybe , and now the Dragons have cut him loose so he has nothing. Who now pays for his surgery ? I would think if the Dragons could pick up that a previous injury hasnt heeled properly and he will need to be sidelined for the year, plus we know how shoulder injuries go, then there is no way the Warriors didnt know. That just goes to show what the Dragons did with Ramsay compared to what the Warriors did with Volkman is more than admirable rather than being dishonest and cunning. I actually feel sorry for the kid, plus I sung his praises only a couple of days ago, I'm unsure if he knew , one would have to think so, maybe he thought it was worth the risk.

Dragon David

First Grade
I can see your point mate but I think that there is more to it than meets the eye. Volkman and his management and the Warriors knew the Dragons were desperate for a half cover. He was touted as the next big thing after Johnson, he was on a two year deal, but yet not a peep from the Warriors to leave and go to a 1 year deal with the possibility of playing first grade. So lets look at the facts, the Warriors now dont have to pay him, I dont know if there will be compensation, maybe , and now the Dragons have cut him loose so he has nothing. Who now pays for his surgery ? I would think if the Dragons could pick up that a previous injury hasnt heeled properly and he will need to be sidelined for the year, plus we know how shoulder injuries go, then there is no way the Warriors didnt know. That just goes to show what the Dragons did with Ramsay compared to what the Warriors did with Volkman is more than admirable rather than being dishonest and cunning. I actually feel sorry for the kid, plus I sung his praises only a couple of days ago, I'm unsure if he knew , one would have to think so, maybe he thought it was worth the risk.
Most of us had high hopes for this kid justa. It is just a real shame that it has come to nothing and there has to be some club who can tend to the welfare of Volkman, poor kid even if he and the Warriors might have pulled a swifty on us.

justadragon

Bench
Most of us had high hopes for this kid justa. It is just a real shame that it has come to nothing and there has to be some club who can tend to the welfare of Volkman, poor kid even if he and the Warriors might have pulled a swifty on us.
You are right Dave, but just think he has a better chance now of recovery and recovering properly than just playing on and have it career ending. We did our due diligence and it was worth it,

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Why do people on here think Mam would leave the Broncos? A team that was minutes away from winning a comp and will be in with a fight for the next few years with all the talent they have. We all saw AFB took a pay cut to go to the Sharks who have not won a finals game since Fitzy, why would Mam not do the same and take a paycut to stay at a much better club than the Sharks?

This offseason has been a disaster but one no worse than 1996 where Saints did not know if they had a team until David Waite came in last minute and brought in thse guys like Mark Bell, Adrian Brunker etc. One of their best players even sat out the season. It nearly became the fairytale season in the end bar a few dodgy ref calls in the final. Lets hope 2024 can be a repeat of that.

Now I am really clutching at straws.

If the NRL really want to protect players, they should against teams like Warriors for allowing injured players to move on to clear them off the books. Volkman has been poorly managed by the Warriors in this situation without a care for his well being. Imagine if Saints did end up with Connor Treacy as well. Luckily Treacy will be back early in the season.

possm

Coach
The last two coaches had us up at certain times as well, Possm. I think we will see improvements purely because of having a better coach. I agree with you on that but I just can't put my belief into this particular group of players who are all we have at the end of the day. They've always thought of about 5 ways to let you down before they do anything of merit on the field. Not really a dedicated team and I don't see how we sustain anything more than credible efforts this season.
Yes, I understand, but which players would you like to get rid of?

The Word

Juniors
Because Volkman only just came back from leave when we were talking and Warriors and him knew of a potential issue but maybe not severity is my guess. Let us do the due diligence and pay for it with a view for potential 1st grade time since we wanted him. He would not of got that over there. Calculated risk which could of benefited all had it been minor until it was investigated. Now Warriors happy not to go through and suffer the burden of having him wasted on their books for a year of his contract. We are minus a player but little financial impact.
Volklman and his management have lost out on this gamble.
He's still a young kid with very little contract experience. It's starting to look like the Warriors may have taken advantage of his inexperience to get him off their books. If that's the case, I hope the NRL go after them for failing to protect a young player. As for his agent, we all know what their main focus is. He's been given very bad advice.

Warriors should have ensured he had full examination and investigations done on their watch and then given him the correct diagnosis and then prognosis before he made any career decisions.

Well done Dragons for making sure their due diligence was comprehensive.

possm

Coach
He's still a young kid with very little contract experience. It's starting to look like the Warriors may have taken advantage of his inexperience to get him off their books. If that's the case, I hope the NRL go after them for failing to protect a young player. As for his agent, we all know what their main focus is. He's been given very bad advice.

Warriors should have ensured he had full examination and investigations done on their watch and then given him the correct diagnosis and then prognosis before he made any career decisions.

Well done Dragons for making sure their due diligence was comprehensive.
I'd say that would should make every contract subject to a successful medical exam and ensure the exam is conducted prior to signing.

Old Timer

Coach
The kneebone's connected to the thigh bone theory

If Hook hadn't loaded us up with blokes that were either injured or getting constantly suspended then we wouldn't have to have gone down this path.

But then again if Mc Fookknuckle hadn't stabbed Chinless and then loaded us up with blokes that were either injured or suspended plus a pea heart jet ski fanatic then Hook wouldn't have had to have gone down his path.

But then again if Chinless hadn't been talked up and allowed to even be in the dressing room we wouldn't have gone down that path.

If Bennett had of been signed for 5 years then we would have walked a very different path, banked 2 or 3 premierships and just maybe have got a far better outcome all round.

So time to yet again to unfurl the "Oust Doust' flags.