What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Mojo

Bench
Young guns good / bad? Too much pressure on Hunt? Poor club culture? Off-field incidents? Lack of game plan? Suspensions? Poor officiating? … IMO, it’s our defence, pure and simple - has been for years. We’re 7th on the table in attack and 15th in defence. This year we’ve been hitting hard, we’re pretty solid in the middle but we’re constantly up and in and exposed on our edges. It’s a redundant style of defence. None of the good sides use this style any more. Our defensive pattern just doesn’t work and has to change quickly.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Young guns good / bad? Too much pressure on Hunt? Poor club culture? Off-field incidents? Lack of game plan? Suspensions? Poor officiating? … IMO, it’s our defence, pure and simple - has been for years. We’re 7th on the table in attack and 15th in defence. This year we’ve been hitting hard, we’re pretty solid in the middle but we’re constantly up and in and exposed on our edges. It’s a redundant style of defence. None of the good sides use this style any more. Our defensive pattern just doesn’t work and has to change quickly.
agree .….busted with troops last year and had the weakest squad (before kickoff) I can remember, but need to rectify this as our combinations develop; we hit hard in the middle as you say, but jeez our marker defence and our poor discipline late in the tackle count can be pretty lazy too; easy metres there sometimes for opposition teams which in turn exposes the edges….

Dragon David

First Grade
agree .….busted with troops last year and had the weakest squad (before kickoff) I can remember, but need to rectify this as our combinations develop; we hit hard in the middle as you say, but jeez our marker defence and our poor discipline late in the tackle count can be pretty lazy too; easy metres there sometimes for opposition teams which in turn exposes the edges….
Again I say, if you guys can identify where we are going wrong, what in blazes are our coaches thinking - or don't they. Is this problem too puzzling for them to sort out. Hook has identified that defence is our weakness like kryptonite is to Superman but Superman is a figment of somebodies imagination. Our guys are real and need to be coached properly.

If defence has been identified as our weakness and we all have known this for years, what's the use of having young guns trying to score tries when our defence allows the opposition to score more than us?

Come on coaches - if you can be called that - get cracking literally and do something worthwhile. Improve our defence. Once this is done our better attack will follow.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Again I say, if you guys can identify where we are going wrong, what in blazes are our coaches thinking - or don't they. Is this problem too puzzling for them to sort out. Hook has identified that defence is our weakness like kryptonite is to Superman but Superman is a figment of somebodies imagination. Our guys are real and need to be coached properly.

If defence has been identified as our weakness and we all have known this for years, what's the use of having young guns trying to score tries when our defence allows the opposition to score more than us?

Come on coaches - if you can be called that - get cracking literally and do something worthwhile. Improve our defence. Once this is done our better attack will follow.
But they do know Dragon David. They’d know much more than us imo. Challenge to turn it around as quick as the fan wants and there's a lot of factors. I believe we were in really bad shape at the beginning of last year. In contrast, Cronulla were well coached and Morris did a really good job in his caretaker role. Fitzgibbon just assimilated into a good structure and is now tweaking it. This is not the same as Saints situation as been highlighted ad nauseam.

I feel your pain mate but i think good signs are there. If we can keep some combinations going i feel we will see some sun soon.

Gareth67

First Grade
Just on Hunt possibly switching to the hooker role - whether he likes it or not , he must do whatever the coach considers to be best for the team .

Darren Lockyer , one of the games best fullbacks switched to the five-eighth role in the latter part of his distinguished career. Now I don’t know if he wanted the change , but we all know that he played just as well at 5/8th as he did at fullback - he done what was for the betterment of his team .

Benny has played hooker in the SOO sides quite admirably , so should Griffin take him aside and say “ hooker is your new position “ he needs to get on with the job .

Of course ( as Crush has pointed out ) having yet another young player added to the spine will certainty have its teething problems , however I believe in the long run it would improve the teams play .

Old Timer

Coach
Just on Hunt possibly switching to the hooker role - whether he likes it or not , he must do whatever the coach considers to be best for the team .

Darren Lockyer , one of the games best fullbacks switched to the five-eighth role in the latter part of his distinguished career. Now I don’t know if he wanted the change , but we all know that he played just as well at 5/8th as he did at fullback - he done what was for the betterment of his team .

Benny has played hooker in the SOO sides quite admirably , so should Griffin take him aside and say “ hooker is your new position “ he needs to get on with the job .

Of course ( as Crush has pointed out ) having yet another young player added to the spine will certainty have its teething problems , however I believe in the long run it would improve the teams play .
Regardless of whether you play Hunt at 7 or 9 if truth be known it ultimately means another young player in the spine

1. Hunt 9 Bud 7
2. Hunt 7 either Muhleisen or Bud 9

For the sake of combinations and ultimate longevity in the game the 1st option is the best.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I am sorry to say, Hunt is not the halfback or captain the team needs. He might want to play in the 7 number and has improved his game after being appointed captain however, Hunt is not up to the job of halfback/captain.

I'd say it is time to admit that our young guns are not up to it. Bring in some experienced players into the spine and I'd say things will improve. At the same time, the young guns can push for NRL selection through performance in reserve grade.

Griffin needs to look at his coaching staff and decide if a change is necessary. We Recruited depth instead of high-profile payers and yet our NRL team and reserve grade team are both struggling to compete.

Unless the Club wants to let go players prior to June 30 this season, why would they sew discontent by advising players that their contracts would not be extended for next season? Why not wait until the later weeks of the competition to make such bold moves.

To me moral looks to be low and therefore I feel that there has been chatter from those whose future has not been settled. Sims and Bird are two that come to mind.
Always love your enthusiasm and loyalty to the Dragons' cause, Possm. I am like plenty on here, down in the dumps since the Burgess issue broke and made more depressed by Thursday's drubbing. Up till last Monday we could be reasonably happy with the start to the season and could feel hard done in the Panthers' game over the Sua sinbinning and its impact. But now you say we need a new Captain (who?) and you claim the young guns are not up to it when the clamour here for some years has been to give the talented youth a chance. While Dufty had his supporters many were happy to see him go and there was rejoicing over Norman's departure. Against the Sharks both Ramsey and Sloan kept taking the high ball but had the chasers right on top of them every time. Credit to the Sharks. Sloan was kept very busy in defence making 12 tackles. That to me is a case of well done, Sloan, but why was he having to make so many tackles?

You also add that Griffin should be looking at his staff. He did that at the end of last season. You think the Sharks' game should lead to a change in his staff. You raise the question of discontent over giving players' notice of where they stand. It should inspire them to show Griffin's wrong or to earn them a contract elsewhere.

I do agree with you on reserve grade. Much of the club's depth is currently on the sideline but the big defeats in the NSW Cup with so many players with first grade experience playing is a cause for a serious investigation.

Dragon David

First Grade
Always love your enthusiasm and loyalty to the Dragons' cause, Possm. I am like plenty on here, down in the dumps since the Burgess issue broke and made more depressed by Thursday's drubbing. Up till last Monday we could be reasonably happy with the start to the season and could feel hard done in the Panthers' game over the Sua sinbinning and its impact. But now you say we need a new Captain (who?) and you claim the young guns are not up to it when the clamour here for some years has been to give the talented youth a chance. While Dufty had his supporters many were happy to see him go and there was rejoicing over Norman's departure. Against the Sharks both Ramsey and Sloan kept taking the high ball but had the chasers right on top of them every time. Credit to the Sharks. Sloan was kept very busy in defence making 12 tackles. That to me is a case of well done, Sloan, but why was he having to make so many tackles?

You also add that Griffin should be looking at his staff. He did that at the end of last season. You think the Sharks' game should lead to a change in his staff. You raise the question of discontent over giving players' notice of where they stand. It should inspire them to show Griffin's wrong or to earn them a contract elsewhere.

I do agree with you on reserve grade. Much of the club's depth is currently on the sideline but the big defeats in the NSW Cup with so many players with first grade experience playing is a cause for a serious investigation.

Needs investigation for sure Dragonsteve2. Your other comments are also spot on.

possm

Coach
Regardless of whether you play Hunt at 7 or 9 if truth be known it ultimately means another young player in the spine

1. Hunt 9 Bud 7

For the sake of combinations and ultimate longevity in the game the 1st option is the best.
6. Bird
7. Mbye
9. Hunt

Amone and Sullivan to make their way into the NRL Side through reserve grade.

Dragons4me

Juniors
We rarely win the battle of field position in a game. If say in the first 15-20 minutes, we've have played mostly in our half), why don't we kick early and more than once? Most teams seem to have cottoned on to our usual game plan of 5 hit-ups and kick on the 6th. A bit of variation in a game would be nice. And don't start me on 2nd phase play!
I still have hope cause it's round 4 ( yeah I know I know!!) but all teams will have to battle attrition. The speed and brutality of the game will take its toll. I reckon it will ultimately end up determined by injury management.

Illusion

Bench

1. Hunt 9 Bud 7

Bingo .......

Old Timer

Coach
6. Bird
7. Mbye
9. Hunt

Amone and Sullivan to make their way into the NRL Side through reserve grade.
It is posts like this that make me shake my head in wonder.

Other clubs have teenagers running around killing it after a handful of games in the top grade and some of those early games were not so hot either but they are rewarding their team for the fact they were supported and the coach stuck with them.

Meanwhile some of our supporters are wanting the youngsters to not have any bad games and if they to do drop to a lower grade that is getting smashed each and every week and expect them to learn something there.

FFS it's time for us to think like the good clubs who are reaping the benefits of their desire for youth to succeed.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Imo we are one of the slowest play-the-ball teams in the comp. Our halves, especially young Amone has almost no room to move or create. The top teams get a roll on nearly every set, whereas we get tackled, stand up then play the ball.

If i yad a negative against young Amone is his defense isnt the strongest, but neither was Sowards, but he had a trusty lieutenant by his side, currently ours seems to not be so trusty.
Do you frop him though? Of course not. He needs time and space, sonething his forwards aren't providing atm.