What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think we are in a stronger financial space than a few other teams. A 14 team competition would be the absolute minimum, if it ever came to that, given the number of players in all competitions from juniors to NR in hoth NSW and QLD. Lessening the player pool would only create a greater divide between the strong clubs and the not so strong clubs.
IMO, the 3 clubs under most financial stress would be the Titans, Sharks and the Warriors. The warriors only because of the cost involved in travel, not only for them but other teams going there.
However, I believe no current club will fold, the Storm (no pun intended) will pass and life will continue.

blacksafake

First Grade
I think we are in a stronger financial space than a few other teams. A 14 team competition would be the absolute minimum, if it ever came to that, given the number of players in all competitions from juniors to NR in hoth NSW and QLD. Lessening the player pool would only create a greater divide between the strong clubs and the not so strong clubs.
IMO, the 3 clubs under most financial stress would be the Titans, Sharks and the Warriors. The warriors only because of the cost involved in travel, not only for them but other teams going there.
However, I believe no current club will fold, the Storm (no pun intended) will pass and life will continue.
A 14 team comp would be able to play home & away which is probably more sensible.
I would throw Manly into the mix as one of the clubs under financial strain.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Say the league is cancelled for the year, how does it affect players on a three year contract, do they count this written off season, if they receive payment from the NRL or the clubs.
I would imagine there are clauses the clubs way in the case of situations like this. I would say they will take a pay cut this season and probably have to renegotiate next season. I wouldn’t think Friz will be going to Newy anymore either.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes, it would be good for home and away games to come back in and this is achievable by reducing the number of teams to fit into a regular season.

That would be great D.David and revert back to the system of having say 2 ‘ matches of the round ‘ to be played at the larger venues - the new stadium at Parramatta and Allianz in Sydney .

Brisbane will need to travel to one of those N.S.W. venues as a form of compensation to the league fans for playing exclusively at their home ground every Friday night for years .

And I know that it is the modern era however I would much prefer to watch a game during the day rather than night - bring back the afternoon games so as a man may take his grandsons or sons to games in relative safety .

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
That would be great D.David and revert back to the system of having say 2 ‘ matches of the round ‘ to be played at the larger venues - the new stadium at Parramatta and Allianz in Sydney .

Brisbane will need to travel to one of those N.S.W. venues as a form of compensation to the league fans for playing exclusively at their home ground for years .

And I know that it is the modern era however I would much prefer to watch a game during the day rather than night - bring back the afternoon games so as a man may take his grandsons or sons to games in relatives safety .
I am all for what you have posted Gareth 67. Get back to the grass roots of what rugby league was all about. No need for the expensive fanfares and promotions. Once we know that league is back on just do it for the fun of it and entertainment.

denis preston

First Grade
Yes, interesting times. v'landys has got to stop the overspending , keep the TV rights over a Billion and shore up the support base and level of participants in the game to get the product. Can see the salary cap and head office expensive being slashed. Current players will know in years to come how good they had it up to now. The game is still the biggest show in NSW & QLD and he needs to keep it that way.

qld redvee

Juniors
Yes, interesting times. v'landys has got to stop the overspending , keep the TV rights over a Billion and shore up the support base and level of participants in the game to get the product. Can see the salary cap and head office expensive being slashed. Current players will know in years to come how good they had it up to now. The game is still the biggest show in NSW & QLD and he needs to keep it that way.
Denis,
Hopefully V'landys will get rid of third party payments which will even up the salary cap across the board..

denis preston

First Grade
Denis,
Hopefully V'landys will get rid of third party payments which will even up the salary cap across the board..
Or better still a player points system .It won't be perfect ( some may dispute the player ratings ) but it would be a hell of a lot better than the cap.Say max 1000 points. SOO player of more than 2 years ( and under 30 ) 100 points as an example. If going by whats happening today and we are on 1000 points The roosters would be on 1800 !

Old Timer

Coach
I said a long time ago that club rugby league was only there to be a servant to SOO.
That is now more apparent than ever as the facts of how the money rolls in to the codes coffers are revealed.
Now the club footy is postponed they are all about how to play SOO and get the revenue from that.
SOO has been part of the problem for a long time and if it died tomorrow the code IMO would be far better off as club footy and the premiership would once again be the focal point of the game.

blacksafake

First Grade
If anyone can tighten the purse strings I'm confident V'Landys can.

TruSaint

Referee
Denis,

As much as i dislike the TPA's, (simply because we are pathetic in this regard), why would V'Landys get rid of them?
There will be so much pressure to keep the code alive, people at Clubs employed, contractors etc, that any income would be welcome.
NRL HQ needs to shed some of the 150 odd employees, Cap reduced, players salaries brought back to the real world, and then maybe we have a game.

Latest posts