What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Crush

Coach
We are specials to improve drastically - there’s a marked difference in attitude this year from the CEO to the players to the coach all maligned and wounded and dying to prove everyone wrong ...
Did I miss something?
I like the positive outlook but I think we are specials to be the competition easy beats. The forward pack is diabolical.

ALSGI

Bench
Did I miss something?
I like the positive outlook but I think we are specials to be the competition easy beats. The forward pack is diabolical.
You’re at it again Crush.....hope it works for a change.

We’re all hoping they’re a few notches above diabolical mate.

Forwards will surprise this year and the backs will blow people away I reckon.

Maddragon99

Juniors

We’ll be much better than 2020 particularly in defence but so will a number of other teams. I’m hopeful rather than optimistic about a top 8 finish, this year is about developing the team under a new regime, already hard decisions are being made, letting our club captain go wouldn’t have been easy. You’d have to think Norman is next in the firing line Sullivan will be breathing down his neck.

I’ve been predicting for some time like McInnes Dufty won’t be retained either. Hopefully he gets the gig at the Warriors he should jump early if there’s an offer on the table.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Did I miss something?
The only positive I see with our forwards are many are on their last year contract. They have a lot to play for so 2021 will be interesting.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
We’ll be much better than 2020 particularly in defence but so will a number of other teams. I’m hopeful rather than optimistic about a top 8 finish, this year is about developing the team under a new regime, already hard decisions are being made, letting our club captain go wouldn’t have been easy. You’d have to think Norman is next in the firing line Sullivan will be breathing down his neck.

I’ve been predicting for some time like McInnes Dufty won’t be retained either. Hopefully he gets the gig at the Warriors he should jump early if there’s an offer on the table.
This is one of the problems, in that while we may improve I believe that a lot of the teams that have generally saved us from the spoon in the last couple, especially last year in the Titans, Dogs, and even Broncs should be considerably better than us this year and teams that we usually jostle for the upper half of the bottom 8 like the Tigers and Sharks look slightly better themselves.

Maddragon99

Juniors
The only positive I see with our forwards are many are on their last year contract. They have a lot to play for so 2021 will be interesting.
Sorry can’t agree only forwards out of contact this year are;

JdB
Ellis
Merrin
Fuimaono
Brittian
Blacker

Hardly spells a changing of the guard. Blacker & Ellis might be extended plus JdB if all goes his way.

mickeylane

Bench
Did I miss something?
You obviously have very little confidence in a trio of very very experienced coaches in
Hook
Elliot
Gentle
Collectively these 3 will leave no stone unturned to achieve success - their collective experience will ensue we have more than an even chance of being one of the most improved teams in the comp. The start maybe a little rocky but I’m certain the team Will respond to the coaches methods .. I said a few months ago - if only Hunt and Norman can perform a mere 25% better Than previous seasons we will make the top 8 as they are that good when at their best.. the team will be a better defensive team and a better attacking team compared to last season so on that evaluation alone we will significantly improve on last season and if that happens we will be knocking on the top 8 door all year..

mickeylane

Bench
This is one of the problems, in that while we may improve I believe that a lot of the teams that have generally saved us from the spoon in the last couple, especially last year in the Titans, Dogs, and even Broncs should be considerably better than us this year and teams that we usually jostle for the upper half of the bottom 8 like the Tigers and Sharks look slightly better themselves.
Broncos will be battling to stay say from the spoon, Bulldogs have serious serious internal board problems that will spill over to onfield and unsurprisingly any work that Barrett May be working on... the Titans especially if they sign C Smith Will be top 8 specials,... I think Sharks, Newcastle will struggle an outgoing coach in Morris and The Mitchell Pearce saga dividing Newcastle will prove disastrous ..
Penrith
Roosters
Souths
Canberra
Melbourne
Are top 8 certs... the last 3 spots are up for grabs ....

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Broncos will be battling to stay say from the spoon, Bulldogs have serious serious internal board problems that will spill over to onfield and unsurprisingly any work that Barrett May be working on... the Titans especially if they sign C Smith Will be top 8 specials,... I think Sharks, Newcastle will struggle an outgoing coach in Morris and The Mitchell Pearce saga dividing Newcastle will prove disastrous ..
Penrith
Roosters
Souths
Canberra
Melbourne
Are top 8 certs... the last 3 spots are up for grabs ....
Teams I reckon will finish above us.
Penrith
Roosters
Souths
Canberra
Melbourne
Parra
Titans
Manly
Teams I reckon have a better than average chance of finishing above us.
Newcastle
Tigers
Sharks
Teams we will be jostling with for the wooden spoon
Dogs
Cowboys
Warriors
Brisbane
If we go really well and can climb above the three teams in Knights, Tigers, Sharks we may be able to push for the 8 if Manly have some injuries or the Titans don't gel. But I think Warriors, Brisbane and Dogs will all improve on last year, and we were fighting for the spoon most of the season with them. For me best case finish is 8th, likely finish 10-11th.

Maddragon99

Juniors
You obviously have very little confidence in a trio of very very experienced coaches in
Hook
Elliot
Gentle
Collectively these 3 will leave no stone unturned to achieve success - their collective experience will ensue we have more than an even chance of being one of the most improved teams in the comp. The start maybe a little rocky but I’m certain the team Will respond to the coaches methods .. I said a few months ago - if only Hunt and Norman can perform a mere 25% better Than previous seasons we will make the top 8 as they are that good when at their best.. the team will be a better defensive team and a better attacking team compared to last season so on that evaluation alone we will significantly improve on last season and if that happens we will be knocking on the top 8 door all year..
Don’t take the bait MickeyLane, the doomsayer Crush hasn’t posted on here since when? He’s a 5th columnist trying to muddy the water.

Saints are on the up. Hook has already proven he’s got the courage to make hard decisions by letting McInnes go.

Hopefully top 8 in ‘21 Top 4 in ’22 Premiership in ’23

The mighty Red V are on the up, anyone who says differently are smoking too much do@e

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Don’t take the bait MickeyLane, the doomsayer Crush hasn’t posted on here since when? He’s a 5th columnist trying to muddy the water.

Saints are on the up. Hook has already proven he’s got the courage to make hard decisions by letting McInnes go.

Hopefully top 8 in ‘21 Top 4 in ’22 Premiership in ’23

The mighty Red V are on the up, anyone who says differently are smoking too much do@e
It will definitely be a great achievement if a team full of 18 year olds could make the finals that’s for sure but they need a few years. I will watch with more interest than usual, because I feel like we are building something but I’m not expecting a heap of wins this year. Honestly if we can make the finals with this squad, it’s the stuff of fairytales. You could near make a movie about it. I’m a super positive person and usually think we will surprise a few but this is the weakest squad I can remember, but bursting at the seams with potential. I just can’t see a backline of Dufty, Ramsey, Lomax, Feagai and Rava becoming a premiership winning defensive unit this year. Exciting tries will be had, some nice tries will be stopped but no doubt defensive errors will be made.

Dragons4me

Juniors
Hook
Elliot
Gentle

I agree. The real challenge for Hook and co will be sustaining any momentum gained by the younger guys for 26 rounds.

Crush

Coach

I hope so bud, I just think it’s been a pretty poor recruitment drive this off-season. When we get the inevitable injury to a Sims, Vaughan, etc we will be struggling. Our starting 13 looks OK on paper but there is nothing in reserve.
Look at the depth the Raiders have in the forwards.

Crush

Coach
Hook
Elliot
Gentle
You’re banking in Hunt and Norman performing better. Can’t see it, both blokes are a myth.

It will definitely be a great achievement if a team full of 18 year olds could make the finals that’s for sure but they need a few years. I will watch with more interest than usual, because I feel like we are building something but I’m not expecting a heap of wins this year. Honestly if we can make the finals with this squad, it’s the stuff of fairytales. You could near make a movie about it. I’m a super positive person and usually think we will surprise a few but this is the weakest squad I can remember, but bursting at the seams with potential. I just can’t see a backline of Dufty, Ramsey, Lomax, Feagai and Rava becoming a premiership winning defensive unit this year. Exciting tries will be had, some nice tries will be stopped but no doubt defensive errors will be made.
Good to see some reality in the pre season. We have supreme optimists on our site too. I too hope for the fairytale alas all I see with our squads are two bottom 4 teams. What everybody needs to do is look at all the other teams predicted best 17. If either side finishes close to 9th then it’s been a better than expected year! Look at the Broncos team, that should make you feel better!

Crush

Coach
Good to see some reality in the pre season. We have supreme optimists on our site too. I too hope for the fairytale alas all I see with our squads are two bottom 4 teams. What everybody needs to do is look at all the other teams predicted best 17. If either side finishes close to 9th then it’s been a better than expected year! Look at the Broncos team, that should make you feel better!
I think you'll find that the optimists in here are banking on our roster rising to dizzy heights based purely on the new coaching regime. So if a Blake Lawrie was a 6/10 last year he'll be an 8/10 this year. Also, as mentioned above, they are banking on Hunt playing to his full potential.
The problem I see is our halves dont have it in them. I never liked Widdop, I always thought he was too inconsistent, but at his best he was immense. He had it in him.
Ive never seen Hunt single handedly win us games like Widdop did. And Norman is just plain slow.
Tigers have the same coach so you guys will be hoping that your recruitment will get you over the line. You guys have been busy with recruitment and made some big acquisitions, albeit with a fair amount of risk.
We have lost quality players and recruited a couple of fringe first graders and an injury prone Bird.
Anyway, it'll be an interesting season for both our clubs I reckon. It will be a rollercoaster ride thats for sure.