What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

mickeylane

Bench
Hunt signed a contract - if he’s being quoted in the media that he’s considering his position - then make the merkin sit out for 2 years just like Tallis was and give the 7 to Sullivan.. then make Hunt watch every game from the grand stand for the next 2 years.. little prick that he is..

BLM01

First Grade
Yep..

Anyone thinking that Hunt is not exploring options is being naive. For me, and I know Im in the minority here, but if he wants to move on then so be it. I really wouldn't mind if he did.

He prides himself on playing for State and Country as a 9, yet has the Club we love held to ultimatums as to his position.

Nice bloke, good player sure.

Time to move on IF he wants out.
I may be a bit naive Tru but I have have some knowledge with how this all works and
Every player manager will shop their better stars around whenever possible
Has anyone heard Hunt talk since Flanno was likely to sign repeating some of the stuff he said some time ago
A Melb newspaper has tagged some "old quotes" with "new quotes & pictures"? to make it a new headline
I dont believe for one minute Hunt has seriously held our club to ransom especially a new coach
But of course he was / has been agitated with our club over what went down over the first part of this year with the coach reapplying and every other bit of **** our club has dished out for the media in the past year or 2. So the manager goes to work and rings around and quite a few clubs as I have said before who are crying out for good experienced 7's....(there is not that many left)
For all we know Flanno now confirmed and being on the phone to him straight away may have relaxed things a bit and your statement "IF" is the operative word.
A player will always say never say never to any move. That is the current climate we are in with NRL

He is by far and away our best player and unless I am mistaken or drastic recruitment changes happen will be when Flanno arrives Nov 1 moving into 2024 and the way the market is worthy of his salary.
Why?. he is in the Top half of No 7 quality in the current NRL
I can name 9 x No. 7's that are not up to his standard currently
Cowboys / Titans / Tigers / Dogs / Dolphins / Newcastle / Canberra / Souths & Roosters?
But this hate and wanting to walk him out the door from others in this forum is over the top and knee jerk reactions to journos stirring the pot.
We have not got a replacement yet for him. We need him this and next year in the 7 jersey unless we can poach a 7 from the top clubs which I doubt. Sullivan to 6.

Last edited:

offiah

Juniors
His comments now are really not hiding things. If he wanted to squash the whole leaving thing he could have. If his exploring the market falls through and he ends up sticking around, I don’t mind too much but we really need a captain that is committed to the team and shows this through his actions.

saintmar

Juniors
Hunt signed a contract - if he’s being quoted in the media that he’s considering his position - then make the merkin sit out for 2 years just like Tallis was and give the 7 to Sullivan.. then make Hunt watch every game from the grand stand for the next 2 years.. little prick that he is..
Let him move on.
He has two years left and wants to win a comp,fair enough that's understandable since every players' goal before they retire should be to experience a premiership win and for Benny given what happened in 2015 that should be his goal for a career that has accomplished nearly everything in the game.
We are in a rebuilding phase in the next few years and will not be a serious contender till we recruit some power forwards to help our current crop that stay with us and the young forwards coming thru.
So Bens' money can be better spent on re-balancing the playing roster.
It's a win win for both parties.

TruSaint

Referee
I may be a bit naive Tru but I have have some knowledge with how this all works and
Has anyone heard Hunt talk since Flanno was likely to sign repeating some of the stuff he said some time ago
A Melb newspaper has tagged some "old quotes" with "new quotes & pictures"? to make it a new headline
I dont believe for one minute Hunt has seriously held our club to ransom especially a new coach
But of course he was / has been agitated with our club over what went down over the first part of this year with the coach reapplying and every other bit of **** our club has dished out for the media in the past year or 2. So the manager goes to work and rings around and quite a few clubs as I have said before who are crying out for good experienced 7's....(there is not that many left)
For all we know Flanno now confirmed and being on the phone to him straight away may have relaxed things a bit and your statement "IF" is the operative word.
A player will always say never say never to any move. That is the current climate we are in with NRL

He is by far and away our best player and unless I am mistaken or drastic recruitment changes happen will be when Flanno arrives Nov 1 moving into 2024 and the way the market is worthy of his salary.
Cowboys / Titans / Tigers / Dogs / Dolphins / Newcastle / Canberra / Souths & Roosters?
But this hate and wanting to walk him out the door from others in this forum is over the top and knee jerk reactions to journos stirring the pot.
We have not got a replacement yet for him. We need him this and next year in the 7 jersey unless we can poach a 7 from the top clubs which I doubt. Sullivan to 6.

Fair enough mate.

I guess my angst ( maybe wrongly ), is I would dearly like for our mainstays to show some commitment to the Club. Again, I have no info, only innuendo, so you may be right here.

Great post BLM01

I hear you loud and clear.

My issue is it’s all about standards.

Easts essentially have shown Ryles the door for negotiating with us whilst under contract.

During the years our club was successful we maintained high standards on and off the field.

Is Hunt our best player ? Yes

Is he bigger than the club? No

If I were the CEO and GM I would be calling him in for a cup of coffee to discuss his position. Then I would require him to make a public statement confirming he is committed to the club.

If he isn’t committed, the club should engineer a win/win situation.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Since Hunt joined the Saints they have made the finals once on the back of Widdop running the team. Since Widdop left and Hunt ran the team and I mean literally from team selections to game plans to coaching they have been terrible.

Dogs having a "secret meeting" immediately after Flanno joined on the back of bringing up the bad stuff on Flanno the weekend before they have put the wheels in motion to destabilise the club. Titans now seemed to have jumped on the back of that.

Does Hunt really think there is more chance to win a comp under Ciraldo or Holbrook in 2 years than a proven winner in Flanno? He only just re-signed with the Dragons as well which is bizarre. He did not have to and could have waited till the coach situation was sorted? If he genuinely wants to win a comp then I can understand if he maybe goes to Raiders, Cowboys or even the Dolphins under Wayne but Dogs/Titans? He can ask how Brett Morris went when he left to join them to win a comp on fullback money to play wing?

How selfish is Hunt really, the club has had the media scrutiny the past few months over the club's coaching which they all enjoyed laying in the boot to the club and now he wants it to continue with this rubbish?

Just when us fans thought we may get a break from all this media rubbish it looks like it will ramp up again.

Trindall at the Sharks is a good half and I am happy for Saints to get him at a much lower rate to partner Sullivan if not Amone and let Hunt go because his last few months clearly show he has no care for the club.

hewi

Bench
TITANS IN HUNT FOR DRAGONS STAR

Peter Badel - Travis Meyn
The Titans have made a secret approach to Ben Hunt armed with a $900,000 deal as the Maroons and Dragons star left the door ajar for a return to Queensland.
Hunt has conceded he is seriously weighing up his future at the Red V in the lead-up to Origin II on Wednesday in Brisbane.
The appointment of new Dragons coach Shane Flanagan has provided more clarity for Hunt and the premiership-winning former Sharks mentor is expected to guarantee him the No. 7 jumper next season.
But that may not be enough to keep him following a shambolic few years for the former powerhouse franchise.
The Titans expressed interest in Hunt last year before dropping off the 33-year-old when he signed a two-season extension with the Dragons until the end of 2025. But the Dragons’ internal crisis this season, coupled with Hunt’s public concerns about the direction of the club, prompted the Titans to make inquiries about luring the former Bronco to the Gold Coast.
The Titans have the funds to pay Hunt just shy of $1m a season, which may be enough to convince him to return home.
Hunt, who has also been linked with the Bulldogs, said he fielded an informal approach from the Titans last month and he would consider finishing his career in Queensland.
“It’s good the club’s (Dragons) come to an agreement with someone and they can move on now,” he said from Camp Maroon on Thursday. “That’s the good side of it, they’ve finally got there and everyone can move on.
“I think (Flanagan) is what they needed. He’s obviously shown he can do it before. He’s won premierships and knows what it takes to build a good team and successful club. I really haven’t made any decisions on (my future) yet.
“I’m a Queensland boy at heart and have always loved the weather up here but that’s only part of it. It’s hard to say (if I’d return to Queensland). The career is coming to an end pretty quickly. I’ve only got a few years left.
“I’d never say no, that’s for sure. I love Queensland, I grew up here and will definitely come back here after footy.”
The Titans have pieced together a strong squad under coach Justin Holbrook over the past four seasons, but a halfback of Hunt’s pedigree would undoubtedly help Gold Coast in its pursuit of a maiden premiership.
Hunt, who played in Brisbane’s losing 2015 grand final team, said he wanted to finish his career at No.7 and a premiership was his ultimate goal.

Happy for him to go, TBH the sooner the better.

SGMax

Juniors

The Titans have made a secret approach to Ben Hunt armed with a $900,000 deal ......
Is this legal? NRL should be looking into this.
....to guarantee him the No. 7 jumper next season.
But that may not be enough to keep him....
He has a CONTRACT!
...I really haven’t made any decisions on (my future) yet...
Yes he has made a decision, he signed a 2 year extension last year!!

Illusion

Bench
Since Hunt joined the Saints they have made the finals once on the back of Widdop running the team. Since Widdop left and Hunt ran the team and I mean literally from team selections to game plans to coaching they have been terrible.

Dogs having a "secret meeting" immediately after Flanno joined on the back of bringing up the bad stuff on Flanno the weekend before they have put the wheels in motion to destabilise the club. Titans now seemed to have jumped on the back of that.

Does Hunt really think there is more chance to win a comp under Ciraldo or Holbrook in 2 years than a proven winner in Flanno? He only just re-signed with the Dragons as well which is bizarre. He did not have to and could have waited till the coach situation was sorted? If he genuinely wants to win a comp then I can understand if he maybe goes to Raiders, Cowboys or even the Dolphins under Wayne but Dogs/Titans? He can ask how Brett Morris went when he left to join them to win a comp on fullback money to play wing?

How selfish is Hunt really, the club has had the media scrutiny the past few months over the club's coaching which they all enjoyed laying in the boot to the club and now he wants it to continue with this rubbish?

Just when us fans thought we may get a break from all this media rubbish it looks like it will ramp up again.

Trindall at the Sharks is a good half and I am happy for Saints to get him at a much lower rate to partner Sullivan if not Amone and let Hunt go because his last few months clearly show he has no care for the club.
X2

Illusion

Bench

The Titans have made a secret approach to Ben Hunt armed with a $900,000 deal as the Maroons and Dragons star left the door ajar for a return to Queensland.
Hunt has conceded he is seriously weighing up his future at the Red V in the lead-up to Origin II on Wednesday in Brisbane.
The appointment of new Dragons coach Shane Flanagan has provided more clarity for Hunt and the premiership-winning former Sharks mentor is expected to guarantee him the No. 7 jumper next season.
But that may not be enough to keep him following a shambolic few years for the former powerhouse franchise.
The Titans expressed interest in Hunt last year before dropping off the 33-year-old when he signed a two-season extension with the Dragons until the end of 2025. But the Dragons’ internal crisis this season, coupled with Hunt’s public concerns about the direction of the club, prompted the Titans to make inquiries about luring the former Bronco to the Gold Coast.
The Titans have the funds to pay Hunt just shy of $1m a season, which may be enough to convince him to return home.
Hunt, who has also been linked with the Bulldogs, said he fielded an informal approach from the Titans last month and he would consider finishing his career in Queensland.
“It’s good the club’s (Dragons) come to an agreement with someone and they can move on now,” he said from Camp Maroon on Thursday. “That’s the good side of it, they’ve finally got there and everyone can move on.
“I think (Flanagan) is what they needed. He’s obviously shown he can do it before. He’s won premierships and knows what it takes to build a good team and successful club. I really haven’t made any decisions on (my future) yet.
“I’m a Queensland boy at heart and have always loved the weather up here but that’s only part of it. It’s hard to say (if I’d return to Queensland). The career is coming to an end pretty quickly. I’ve only got a few years left.
“I’d never say no, that’s for sure. I love Queensland, I grew up here and will definitely come back here after footy.”
The Titans have pieced together a strong squad under coach Justin Holbrook over the past four seasons, but a halfback of Hunt’s pedigree would undoubtedly help Gold Coast in its pursuit of a maiden premiership.
Hunt, who played in Brisbane’s losing 2015 grand final team, said he wanted to finish his career at No.7 and a premiership was his ultimate goal.

Happy for him to go, TBH the sooner the better.
If he isn't happy by all means Piss Off ..... .

offiah

Juniors
What I don't get is why he resigned with us just a few months ago if he's doing it because he wants a decent shot at a premiership or to go back to Queensland? Did he honestly think he'd win one with Hook at the helm here?

I hope we stand strong and don't get bent over in all of this. We can literally just copy and paste what the Storm said about Addo-Carr with a couple of tweaks.

"To achieve this, the Dragons would be seeking fair value for Ben in return by way of a combination of the following: transfer fee; player swap, with the player being of commensurate standing [and/or] salary cap relief for doing the right thing by the player"

Last edited:
I am angry over this, I didn't want to believe it but where there is smoke. He held the club to ransom over his future contract cost, He held the club to ransom over getting rid of Hook, he held the club to ransom over playing 9. And this is all on a million bucks a year. I said in another post how many premierships has he won us let alone finals games, how many top 8's have we made. Plus to throw this at the club and members after the coaching debacle is just plain dis loyalty, and quite frankly this is enough to remove the captaincy from him and send him on his way.
You missed one word @justadragon , arrogant. The club paid him a squillion bucks to resurrect his career, gave him a wonderful home and other luxuries, and this is how he repays us. He is an over paid/under performed, disloyal sook, good riddance if he leaves.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Fair enough mate.

I guess my angst ( maybe wrongly ), is I would dearly like for our mainstays to show some commitment to the Club. Again, I have no info, only innuendo, so you may be right here.
100% agree but the Jarrod Crokers in this world and they way they speak about the club with passion and desire are thinning fast
Eg Jack Wighton

BLM01

First Grade
Great post BLM01

I hear you loud and clear.

My issue is it’s all about standards.

Easts essentially have shown Ryles the door for negotiating with us whilst under contract.

During the years our club was successful we maintained high standards on and off the field.

Is Hunt our best player ? Yes

Is he bigger than the club? No

If I were the CEO and GM I would be calling him in for a cup of coffee to discuss his position. Then I would require him to make a public statement confirming he is committed to the club.

If he isn’t committed, the club should engineer a win/win situation.
Yes and he may be committed
Hunt is no different to some of our supporters
They look elsewhere if the current environment is not to their liking
I am hoping Flanno and a new GM can steer the ship above water