What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Trifili13

Juniors
Yeah, how dare these players * checks notes * ... seek the best possible money for their services in a career that is not only short but will likely destroy their bodies long term.
I agree it's a short career and takes a toll on their bodies. But guess what, they know that before they play, and they then have about 30 more years to earn a normal wage like the rest of us plebs. Why should they expect to make enough money by the age of 35 while the rest of us don't. Then they have the hide to say they are happy to take "unders" to win a comp and play for a club with a good culture. They can't have it both ways. Happy for anyone to earn as much as they can, but simply can't stomach 'its a short career so have to earn as much as they can'.

Old Timer

Coach
I agree it's a short career and takes a toll on their bodies. But guess what, they know that before they play, and they then have about 30 more years to earn a normal wage like the rest of us plebs. Why should they expect to make enough money by the age of 35 while the rest of us don't. Then they have the hide to say they are happy to take "unders" to win a comp and play for a club with a good culture. They can't have it both ways. Happy for anyone to earn as much as they can, but simply can't stomach 'its a short career so have to earn as much as they can'.
Bravo,

An excellent assessment.

Plenty of broken carpet layers, bricklayers, gyp rockers, tilers, plumbers, concrete layers, etc how about they all put their prices up and say they're calling it quits at 35.

Trifili13

Juniors
The other story that I don't fully agree with is 'the Warriors did the NRL a favour during Covid'. I fully sympathise that they had to leave their homes, but they were put in a bubble which was a safer environment than healthcare workers and the alternative was to not get paid their hundreds of thousands in wages for not playing like many people who actually lost their jobs. The NRL might have taken a hit by lower tv money for not being able to provide the requisite number of games as per their tv contract, but i highly doubt Foxtel or Nine would have sued fhem as they still need the NRL as product to be able to sell subscriptions. The NRL may akso have quickly made up a side if needed by taking a player or 2 from each team if necessary so there would be no bye as a last resort.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
Lol Amone improving? Dead set average player and he’s had 2 years of first grade now. We’ve gone from Soward to Widdop - both exceptional 5/8’s - to Norman to Amone. I honestly couldn’t tell you which of Norman or Amone was better. Actually I know. At least Norman could kick a field goal.
I don't particularly rate Amone either but he only gets garbage ball when the patented "crab across field and slowly turn it under to a flat-footed forward" play that is the start and end of the "give it to Ben" strategy has failed.

The only way to tell whether any of these guys could play - Amone, Bud, anyone - would be to make that $20K per week sook take his elite failure to some other poor club.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Very well said mate.

An average NRL player raking in 500k per season which is average money by their standards, earns more over their ten year career than most Australians would on the average wage in our country over their entire 40-50 year working life.

Very elitist viewpoint from the OP.

For all the shit canning of Amone I have actually seen some positive improvement in him and firmly believe a good organising 7 will see Amone blossom.
From one old timer to another I agree 100% . This may be a bit left field but we could do worse than make that organizing 7 his buddy Tyrell Sloan. These two know each others game going back to Matts days. Sloan to do the creating, Junior the running and kicking. May prove a terrific halves combo.

Dragon David

First Grade
From one old timer to another I agree 100% . This may be a bit left field but we could do worse than make that organizing 7 his buddy Tyrell Sloan. These two know each others game going back to Matts days. Sloan to do the creating, Junior the running and kicking. May prove a terrific halves combo.
Both will need more work with their defence.

Dragon David

First Grade
Thanks mate.

This article from Zero Tackle says that Carr is staying at the Dragons, if you believe Zero Tackle.

Usually, confirmation of all coaching staff appears on the Dragons website but at this stage -
Dean Young, Dan Lawson and Andrew Gray have been confirmed to the club’s football department for the 2024 season.

Dragon David

First Grade
I’m pleased that the Dogs are getting some attention from the press now. Hope that means they will leave us alone for a while, let them sink their teeth into some fresh flesh.
And it's about bloody time too! The players they have bought for this year and for 2024 are not too bad but they really don't have their hearts and prides set for the Bulldogs is how I see it.

Ciraldo for this year has been a complete fail with a capital F and the Laundy family has invested heavily in the club which hasn't paid them any dividends. Gould running everything is spoiling the party too. Like Barrett, I think that Gould has quietly given Pangai Tevita Junior the word that he should depart and Pangai most probably would have been so pleased and relieved to do this because of the way that the football club is being "over-run" and his heart not with the Bulldogs one iota imo. He has given several excuses why he will leave after next weeks last game but in reality he wasn't wanted because his heart wasn't in it for the Dogs.

and this -

Last edited:

Victoire

Juniors
So what would you have them do? Play for an amount that you decide is worthy of stomaching, or for a club that you deem acceptable? Feels like you're the one having it both ways. If you can't "simply stomach it" then I'm afraid this particular professional sport is not the right entertainment for you - but there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, who make it financially viable for the players to earn that kind of money. I think they're worth it, certainly worth more than the eye-watering amounts elite soccer players earn - especially given the brutality of this sport. Feel free to join your boomer mate Old Timer watching some brickies and gyprockers put a granny flat up. Sounds as riveting as an Anthony Griffin commentary stint

Slippery Morris

First Grade
what is the minimum wage for an NRL player? Isn't it 120k or so? Probably double for an 18 y.o starting a new job. If they play it smart they can invest and when they do retire at least have a house paid off and find some work in the game. If they are successful can get a job earning a few hundred 000's a week in the media or coaching or at least a decent wage as a trainer or ambassador of the club. It is up to them how they act during their career to prepare for life after footy. The high income earners who get 500k a season, I cannot understand why they are not living off a couple of houses rent when they retire? They should be set up for life at the age of 35. Isn't the job of a player manager to help their clients with stuff like that? If not then why have them?

As for Soccer players they play double if not triple the games over 9 months of the year. Sometimes 10 months if there are World Cups, Euro's or other international competitions afterwards. Their leagues also generate a $hit load more income from players jersey sales alone. I was told that Man Utd are still making heaps of money on jersey sales for Eric Cantona shirts who has not played for them for many years, Liverpool the same for Steven Gerard etc. The media look after them and not tarnish their character hence remain popular with the fans. NRL media are quick to publish a story if a player does a small misdemeanor. As if soccer players have not gotten drunk and misbehaved? They just don't publish that crap. The media need to protect the guys and the NRL need to put some control in place.

Both will need more work with their defence.
Is a given. Attitude is 80% of their problem imho so is up to them to take in precisely what our coaching staff say plus apply the correct tackling technique. Have noted more intent from Amone in the latter respect in that he now wants to go low. We need that from Sloan, regardless of what position he plays. Trying to stop a bloke 10ks bigger and in full stride by going around the chest is only gonna end in embarrassment.

Last edited: