What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
The Hunt scenario is interesting as we had Tallis feel the same way and sat out the whole season. One of which Saints ended up suprising the comp by making the GF without him? For me Tallis ended up being one of the best back rowers in the game when he finished and was a natural born leader. He was a huge loss.

Which would we as fans prefer? I would say the situation with Hunt is better than what we faced with Tallis. Although he does not want to be at Saints, I am sure he will put in and give the coach a chance, plus he has his rep career at stake. The Qlder will pick Harry Grant at hooker if he is killing it. Harry will keep Hunt on his toes and force him to play decent footy. Ezra Mam, Deardon and Jahrome Hughes are also breathing down the necks of Hunt so he cannot afford to play poorly if he still has that fire in his belly to play rep footy. The only thing that bothers me is retaining captaincy. If what he did does not warrant him being stripped of the captaincy nothing will and there are a few boys who are chomping at the bit to captain Saints.

Tallis has mentioned many times that he felt dirty at the time that he was not released but now understands why Saints did not let him go and admits that they did the right thing not releasing him. Funny thing is Tallis was not on huge dollars like Hunt is and Saints still dug there heels in because they new he was too good a player to release to a team tapping him up to get a release. They stood up to Bennett and pi$$ed him off deluxe only to hire him 12-13 years later.
Nice comparison Slippery and how things turned around with Tallis removing the chip off his shoulder and for Bennett helping us to win that beautiful 2010 grand final.

BLM01

First Grade
The Hunt scenario is interesting as we had Tallis feel the same way and sat out the whole season. One of which Saints ended up suprising the comp by making the GF without him? For me Tallis ended up being one of the best back rowers in the game when he finished and was a natural born leader. He was a huge loss.

Which would we as fans prefer? I would say the situation with Hunt is better than what we faced with Tallis. Although he does not want to be at Saints, I am sure he will put in and give the coach a chance, plus he has his rep career at stake. The Qlder will pick Harry Grant at hooker if he is killing it. Harry will keep Hunt on his toes and force him to play decent footy. Ezra Mam, Deardon and Jahrome Hughes are also breathing down the necks of Hunt so he cannot afford to play poorly if he still has that fire in his belly to play rep footy. The only thing that bothers me is retaining captaincy. If what he did does not warrant him being stripped of the captaincy nothing will and there are a few boys who are chomping at the bit to captain Saints.

Tallis has mentioned many times that he felt dirty at the time that he was not released but now understands why Saints did not let him go and admits that they did the right thing not releasing him. Funny thing is Tallis was not on huge dollars like Hunt is and Saints still dug there heels in because they new he was too good a player to release to a team tapping him up to get a release. They stood up to Bennett and pi$$ed him off deluxe only to hire him 12-13 years later.
Jahrome Hughes is a NZealander?. Hunt will not play rep at half. The issue is waiting for someone to push Hunt out of hooker for QLD like Mahoney but he has gone backwards or Walters?. It appears there are limited (Aussie nominated available / QLD) rep worthy hookers but IMO therer are better hookers than Hunt available for Australia as back up like Robson, Egan or even Cook who seems to have fallen off media radar? They seem to pick Hunt purely on media rep on that he can fill in it half if required which is a waste. Just pick the best back up halves or hookers to play rep.
Good luck to him but I believe Hunt getting picked for hooker at rep are media picks and inflates his actual standing as a real hooker or a rep player (and worth) and is a reputation pick only.
He is a good player dont get me wrong but time for others or young ones to be given a go at rep to back Harry Grant.

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
I think Hunt is done for rep duties anyway.. unless there are injuries to QLD (which is a 50/50 proposition to be fair), I think Grant is the future now, and someone like Ponga off the bench.. but again injuries do happen..

I also don't think Hunt will take his demotion well.. I reckon he will blame being at our club.. not the reality that he is older and slower and close to retirement age.. and also that he still sees himself as a halfback.. but in reality its only at hooker that he ever gets rep selections.

Gardenia

Bench

NRL 2024 scouting report: St George Illawarra burning issues, finals drought set to continue​

It looms as another tough year for the Dragons, but there is some positivity around some unassuming recruits, rookie talent and even established Red-V stars tipped to take their games to the next level.

COACH STATUS AND SAFETY RATING: SHANE FLANAGAN (2026)

Flanagan returns to a head coaching role for the first time since 2018. He will need every bit of his coaching nous to navigate what is expected to be a tough year.

Hitting the free agency market for 2025 will bring the club some optimism for the future.

SAFETY RATING: A+

Gardenia

Bench

DRAGONS 2024 SQUAD AND BEST 17​

Jack Bird, Ryan Couchman, Toby Couchman, Jack de Belin, Mathew Feagai, Max Feagai, Viliami Fifita, Sione Finau, Kyle Flanagan, Ben Hunt, Blake Lawrie, Jacob Liddle, Zac Lomax, Francis Molo, Michael Molo, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Cody Ramsey, Mikaele Ravalawa, Hame Sele, Jackson Shereb, Tyrell Sloan, Jaydn Su’A, Moses Suli, Savelio Tamale, Alec Tuitavake, Paul Turner, Ronald Volkman
Ins: Hame Sele (Rabbitohs), Kyle Flanagan (Bulldogs), Ronald Volkman (Warriors)
Outs: Jayden Sullivan (Wests Tigers), Zane Musgrove (Warrington Wolves) Jaiyden Hunt (Broncos), Talatau Amone (deregistered)
BEST 17
1 Tyrell Sloan
2 Mathew Feagai
3 Moses Suli
4 Zac Lomax
5 Mikaele Ravalawa
6 Kyle Flanagan
7 Ben Hunt
8 Hame Sele
9 Jacob Liddle
10 Blake Lawrie
11 Ryan Couchman
12 Jaydn Su’A
13 Jack de Belin
14 Jack Bird
15 Toby Couchman
16 Francis Molo
17 Ben Murdoch-Masila

LIKELY DEBUTANTS

Savelio Tamale, Viliami Fifita, Alec Tuitavake
: Winger Savelio Tamale signed from the Waratahs and made the NSW under-19s team in 2023. He gets a top-30 chance in 2024 and, as a genuine flyer, could press his claims for an NRL debut.

Promising front-row forwards Viliami Fifita and Alec Tuitavake had injury interrupted seasons after arriving late from Manly. Both will play first grade in 2024, barring further setbacks.

WHO TAKES THE NEXT STEP

Zac Lomax
: It seems silly to say, given Lomax is just seven games short of his 100th NRL appearance. However, his career has been filled with promise but he has yet to fulfil his enormous potential.

Lomax is one of the Dragons’ highest-paid players, too. Shane Flanagan will come up with a plan to ensure Lomax stays in the game, even if he is playing at centre. He could also spend time at fullback, but the real intrigue will be the influence of Flanagan, who is known for getting the best out of his players.

Gardenia

Bench
BURNINGS ISSUES

1. How does the Hunt saga end?

How will this finally play out? Ben Hunt has begrudgingly given his commitment to the club for 2024 but 2025 remains up in the air. Expect rival clubs to make another late-season pitch for him.

2. Unstable spine

Ben Hunt is the only certain starter in the Dragons spine. Can Kyle Flanagan hold down another halves position, or will Ronald Volkman emerge as the No.6 option? Tyrell Sloan had a mixed 2023 campaign and spent a large chunk of the pre-season sidelined. Jacob Liddle is serviceable but not a top-tier hooker.

3. Can they attract stars?

This isn’t a crack at Shane Flanagan, but instead the roster he has inherited. It is extremely likely they won’t feature in the top eight again this year without some late additions to the squad.

Can Flanagan – who was a major draw card during his time at the Sharks – replicate that formula and land some much needed, high-profile signings?
CRYSTAL BALL

The Dragons will struggle again in 2024 but there will be some improvements. Zac Lomax will finally become a consistent NRL player while a few youngsters will be unleashed. Furthermore the Dragons will sign at least two marquee players for 2025 which will have them pushing for a top-eight spot in two seasons.

FINISH THE LAST FIVE YEARS

2023:
16th

2022: 10th

2021: 11th

2020: 12th

2019: 15th

2024 TAB ODDS

Premiership:
$10

Minor premiership: $9

Top four: $2.10

Top eight: $1.28

To miss the top eight: $1.09

To miss the top four: $1.01

Most losses: $101

Crush

Coach

DRAGONS 2024 SQUAD AND BEST 17​

Jack Bird, Ryan Couchman, Toby Couchman, Jack de Belin, Mathew Feagai, Max Feagai, Viliami Fifita, Sione Finau, Kyle Flanagan, Ben Hunt, Blake Lawrie, Jacob Liddle, Zac Lomax, Francis Molo, Michael Molo, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Cody Ramsey, Mikaele Ravalawa, Hame Sele, Jackson Shereb, Tyrell Sloan, Jaydn Su’A, Moses Suli, Savelio Tamale, Alec Tuitavake, Paul Turner, Ronald Volkman
Ins: Hame Sele (Rabbitohs), Kyle Flanagan (Bulldogs), Ronald Volkman (Warriors)
Outs: Jayden Sullivan (Wests Tigers), Zane Musgrove (Warrington Wolves) Jaiyden Hunt (Broncos), Talatau Amone (deregistered)
BEST 17
1 Tyrell Sloan
2 Mathew Feagai
3 Moses Suli
4 Zac Lomax
5 Mikaele Ravalawa
6 Kyle Flanagan
7 Ben Hunt
8 Hame Sele
9 Jacob Liddle
10 Blake Lawrie
11 Ryan Couchman
12 Jaydn Su’A
13 Jack de Belin
14 Jack Bird
15 Toby Couchman
16 Francis Molo
17 Ben Murdoch-Masila

LIKELY DEBUTANTS

Savelio Tamale, Viliami Fifita, Alec Tuitavake
: Winger Savelio Tamale signed from the Waratahs and made the NSW under-19s team in 2023. He gets a top-30 chance in 2024 and, as a genuine flyer, could press his claims for an NRL debut.

Promising front-row forwards Viliami Fifita and Alec Tuitavake had injury interrupted seasons after arriving late from Manly. Both will play first grade in 2024, barring further setbacks.

WHO TAKES THE NEXT STEP

Zac Lomax
: It seems silly to say, given Lomax is just seven games short of his 100th NRL appearance. However, his career has been filled with promise but he has yet to fulfil his enormous potential.

Lomax is one of the Dragons’ highest-paid players, too. Shane Flanagan will come up with a plan to ensure Lomax stays in the game, even if he is playing at centre. He could also spend time at fullback, but the real intrigue will be the influence of Flanagan, who is known for getting the best out of his players.
Corey Allan?
Tom Eisenhuth?

Gardenia

Bench
Missed this part at the beginning of the article

St George Illawarra are embarking on another long journey they hope will take them out of the mire and back into NRL finals contention.
No September football in five seasons is unacceptable for a club the size, and prestige, of the Dragons.

While they have been unable to land a marquee name in the free agency market, easily their biggest signing is Shane Flanagan, who is back in a head coaching role for the first time since 2018.

MICHAEL CARAYANNIS explains the task ahead for a man known for getting the best out of his players, and who stands to benefit the most.

2023 RICH 100 REPS: Ben Hunt (7, $1.1m), Jack de Belin (57, $700,000), Zac Lomax (58, $700,000), Jack Bird (79, $600,000), Francis Molo (88, $600,000), Jaydn Su’A (93, $590,000)

FREE AGENCY WRAP AND RATING

Local junior Hame Sele returns to the club as a seasoned first grader and will provide some much-needed punch to the forward pack.

Kyle Flanagan was originally bought to transition into hooker but now may play more in the halves. The late December pick-up of Warriors playmaker Ronald Volkman gives the Dragons another option in the wake of Talatau Amone’s deregistration following his assault conviction.

RATING: B

The Word

Juniors
Corey Allan?
Tom Eisenhuth?
Also his mention of Tamale amongst the likely debutants got me watching the kids highlights. Looks like we've had him at Centre rather than Winger as mentioned in the article.

I guess if he debuts this season it will most likely be at Winger for Feagai.

But I'm glad I watched the highlights, this kid is a real weapon. Pace, raw power and an unbelievable swerve that takes him past defenders. Yes I know you can't rely on highlights reals but he looks like first grade material to me for sure.

Gardenia

Bench
Also his mention of Tamale amongst the likely debutants got me watching the kids highlights. Looks like we've had him at Centre rather than Winger as mentioned in the article.

But I'm glad I watched the highlights, this kid is a real weapon. Pace, raw power and an unbelievable swerve that takes him past defenders. Yes I know you can't rely on highlights reals but he looks like first grade material to me for sure.
Didn't Tamale get selected for cup Origin under 19s?

Crush

Coach

I’d be really happy if we started the season with anyone but Fegai. We got a real good look at him last year and I’ve seen plenty.

The Word

Juniors
I’d be really happy if we started the season with anyone but Fegai. We got a real good look at him last year and I’ve seen plenty.
I like Feagai as depth / back-up if he doesn't put a big dent in the cap. But yes we need a top line winger. As we all are, I'm looking forward to seeing how our existing players have improved under Flanagan and his staff in terms of their conditioning and skills / game strategy, including Feagai.

Latest posts