What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
We need Addo-Carr to stay at the Dogs, chewing up their salary cap space. Honestly it's a very convenient way to offload him, not at all dissimilar to the way Tevita Pangai was conveniently retired. I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, but connecting some nefarious dots on this one isn't all that implausible...
To think that the dogs hierarchy (Gould) are anyway involved in some plot to free up cap space by putting their club into a drug scandal is ridiculous.. So I'm curious to which dots did you joined up to come to this conclusion??

KingFlanno7

Juniors
Didnt mean to come off disrespectful to Possm, i know he is a valued member. Its more realistic to pick a team based on who we have signed up and then put the pieces together as more signings come. I dont care who takes his place but Feagai is a backup/reserve grader at best. Seeing Feagais name had me seeing red haha

justadragon

Bench
We need Addo-Carr to stay at the Dogs, chewing up their salary cap space. Honestly it's a very convenient way to offload him, not at all dissimilar to the way Tevita Pangai was conveniently retired. I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, but connecting some nefarious dots on this one isn't all that implausible...
JAC getting punted from the Dogs if he does will be all his own doing, cant blame the dogs for any underhandedness in this like TPJ. If he was with us we would all be calling for his head and no return to boot.

justadragon

Bench
oh yes 100%, there is no guarantee (and it seems very unlikely) that Cody can reach close to his previous fitness and size... but my understanding is the nrl agreement we have from when he got sick... was that he has to be in our 30 for 2025 unless he's medically retired (and thats a big decision.. he would need to be ready to give up on his nrl dream to do that), I mean I wouldnt mind if we could defer the decision 1 more year... but maybe its been long enough.. and its time to make a decision...

Otherwise obviously it would be a T&T or NSW Cup deal, not Top30.. this is not a situation we wanted to be in....
Even if he is not top 30, couldnt he come in after a certain number of rounds have been played. That way both sides could have a bit more time for further assessment.

Dragon David

First Grade
Looking for signings by the Dragons is a frustrating pastime. Our efforts seem to start with some positivity and then end on a sour note in many cases. We look to get some decent players for the new season of which so far we have secured Holmes and Cook but things have dried up now.

We should also look towards the future - just like the Storm are doing with their signing of NZ's Moses Leo who participated in the recent Olympics. They have signed him to start in 2026. This follows the success of Warbrick.

This is what the Storm has said about the signing of this new guy -
“Although we won’t get to see him until November next year, signing Moses is a look to the future. It’s important we continue to build our list, especially with the prospect of new teams joining the competition.”

So that is something that the Dragons should do - build the list particularly with the prospect of new teams joining the competition. Plan ahead Mr Recruiter.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints are building for the future in house as the Jersey Flegg won the GF and some will hopefully come through to FG in 2026 / 2027. They just need a few to fill in the gaps.

Sometimes you don't need to go all out and buy a heap of players as that just blocks juniors coming through like Saints have done in the past. Rava for Saab is a good example. At the time was a good move but now looking back, if only Saints looked at speed more than power.

With Flanno I feel Saints will keep the good juniors and give them more of a crack.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Looking for signings by the Dragons is a frustrating pastime. Our efforts seem to start with some positivity and then end on a sour note in many cases. We look to get some decent players for the new season of which so far we have secured Holmes and Cook but things have dried up now.

We should also look towards the future - just like the Storm are doing with their signing of NZ's Moses Leo who participated in the recent Olympics. They have signed him to start in 2026. This follows the success of Warbrick.

“Although we won’t get to see him until November next year, signing Moses is a look to the future. It’s important we continue to build our list, especially with the prospect of new teams joining the competition.”

So that is something that the Dragons should do - build the list particularly with the prospect of new teams joining the competition. Plan ahead Mr Recruiter.
As always DD you point out a critical issue.

new teams joining will,place a considerable strain on clubs to fill their top 30 with qualified players, and their top 17+ with elite players.
- Planning for this should have already started. This has to be balanced against signing too long contracts.
- to achieve this we probably need to look outside the normal areas

Dragon David

First Grade
Saints are building for the future in house as the Jersey Flegg won the GF and some will hopefully come through to FG in 2026 / 2027. They just need a few to fill in the gaps.

Sometimes you don't need to go all out and buy a heap of players as that just blocks juniors coming through like Saints have done in the past. Rava for Saab is a good example. At the time was a good move but now looking back, if only Saints looked at speed more than power.

With Flanno I feel Saints will keep the good juniors and give them more of a crack.
I hope you are right there Slippery. Yes, our Jersey Flegg boys did well and won the GF this year. Hopefully there are more than a couple that will be retained to transition into the top grades and not end up like the Amones, Sullivans, Feagaii's, Sloan etc where while they too showed plenty of promise and at times excelled when they played in first grade, they have tended to either go elsewhere or dropped off the radar or just didn't transition all that well. That is why you still need to look at guys who are actually doing something now and have matured at say 25 years old and good to be signed in advance to beat other vultures. Only a couple is all that is needed.

Jubilee

Juniors
I hope you are right there Slippery. Yes, our Jersey Flegg boys did well and won the GF this year. Hopefully there are more than a couple that will be retained to transition into the top grades and not end up like the Amones, Sullivans, Feagaii's, Sloan etc where while they too showed plenty of promise and at times excelled when they played in first grade, they have tended to either go elsewhere or dropped off the radar or just didn't transition all that well. That is why you still need to look at guys who are actually doing something now and have matured at say 25 years old and good to be signed in advance to beat other vultures. Only a couple is all that is needed.
There has been plenty of talent: Robson, the Manly centre, Bostock, and others but whoever has been talent spotting over the years just isn't very good at it.

Sometimes I think that these guys need a book or a list that they can tick off to help their decision making:
1. competitive
2. can take coaching
3. off-field behavior and demeanour
4. good individual defender
5. size, speed, strength for the intended position
6. skillsets: kicking, passing
7. knowledge of his position
8. good trainer and eager to improve
9. stage of physical development
10. athleticism
11. team-focused
12. good communicator
13. leadership qualities
14. recent progress in various areas

Whatever, add your own items. Break these into smaller units. But there has to be an objective and standardized way that the young ones are assessed and brought on. A system like that would not have lost or overlooked Robson.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors

This guy is also a connection of Will Warbrick who played in the same nz 7 teams

VodkaSaint

Juniors

Give them Blake lawrie

Nich

Juniors

We didn't win fleg. We won the SG ball under 19s