What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The sanctity of the jersey

Brycey

Juniors
A topic that has been on my mind for some time now.

Jerseys are being treated less like symbols of our clubs and more like media billboards, although I agree in the current climate that clubs are trying to get as much $$$ as possible surely it reflects on our games heart and spirit.

In an age when we are trying to capture the hearts and imaginations of new fans is a jersey that is nothing more than a corporate advert going to attract anyone - judging a book by its cover is one of the most basic human instincts. In some cases teams have 7 advertising patches on their playing strips

Patriotism should be installed in our jersey, if you look to the American sporting landscape a jersey is held with the same regard as the national flag...would you cop someone putting a sponsor on our flag?

There should be strict rules in place for clubs regarding jerseys - some of which should be imo:

* Sponsor label on the front area and on the rear lower back ONLY
* Names re-introduced onto players jerseys
* Away jerseys only used when a clash of colours exists between both teams
* Away jerseys staying true to the clubs colours (the Broncos one is a disgrace)
* Jersey designs stay in place for a significant period of time (eg 4 years)

I know some will disagree with the points above but I am sure everyone could agree that we need to get some dignity back into our jersey

griff

Bench
Yeah I agree that the jersey needs to be protected. Players are ending up looking like V8 drivers with every spare spot plastered with a different logo.

Absolutely agree there should be one sponsor on the front, one on the lower back, and names on the upper back of the jersey. I'd also say shoulder sponsors are ok though.

I'd add to this that there needs to be rules so that the sponsor fits into the design of the jersey. Too many jerseys are ruined by some stupid patch that looks like someone's mum ironed it on. They should look at how English Premier League has the sponsors blended in to the colours/design of the shirt.

It isn't just about the sanctity of the jersey. This actually makes better financial sense for the clubs as well. There is just so much clutter that clubs end up looking cheap and attracting worse and worse quality sponsors. Less clutter and better quality sponsorship would bring in more money. Adding more sponsors to the jersey doesn't actually give you additional money in the longer term, it just means your individual sponsorships will be less valuable.

I don't have a problem with away jerseys, or clubs changing jersey designs every year. However clubs need to realise the value of their brand and coming up with new and crap looking jerseys all the time is going to cost them.

Canard

Immortal
Understand the ideal, but in this day and age of Economic downturn, no club can afford to turn down some extra dollars for a sleeve sponsor etc.

Brycey

Juniors
I thought this was the case also MM but what about the Warriors - I swear in the space of those 4 years they have had 3 different jersey designs.

murraymob

Coach
not sure about warriors but several people asked our ceo at penrith about jerseys and the reply was all jerseys bar the heritage jersey must have a 4 year life span they then can be changed.The heritage jersey can be changed every year as long as it is a previous jersey any year allowed

Flapper

First Grade
I thought this was the case also MM but what about the Warriors - I swear in the space of those 4 years they have had 3 different jersey designs.

That's probably in the case of changing manufacturers, wherein there may be subtle changes to fit in with the manufacturer's style (as in Canterbury's sh*tty lines on the Warriors jersey), but the overall scheme is still the same.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Warriors had the black with grey Vee from 2003/4 through to 2006, then from then til 2008 the had the black with grey arch, now they've switched to CCC and they're black with white lines and panels.

3 designs since 2003, fits in with the criteria I think.

Brycey, the problem with your theory (which in principle I agree with) is that you simply CANNOT minimise the sponsorship revenue available to clubs in [insert economy cliche here]. Simple as that.

I'd guess that the lack of advertising on the US major sports teams uniforms would change quickly if their TV rights and other revenue streams took a nosedive.

parano1a

Juniors
The design changes of jerseys on a year to year basis is damaging to the game of rugby league. Look at clubs like Essendon and Collingwood in the AFL who have retained their same basic design for over 100 years. Clubs should stick with a traditional design and only wear an alternative strip/colours when there is a clash of colours (Manly v Broncos etc)

Timmah

Staff member
To be fair, clubs like St George Illawarra, the Bulldogs, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Melbourne have made very little in the way of changes to their jerseys over the last 10 or more years.

Timmah

Staff member
Like Newcastle, you should use this weekends heritage jersey as your home and away jersey template, simply invert the colours.

no name

Referee
Warriors had the black with grey Vee from 2003/4 through to 2006, then from then til 2008 the had the black with grey arch, now they've switched to CCC and they're black with white lines and panels.

3 designs since 2003, fits in with the criteria I think.

Brycey, the problem with your theory (which in principle I agree with) is that you simply CANNOT minimise the sponsorship revenue available to clubs in [insert economy cliche here]. Simple as that.
That doesn'r fit the one design for 4 years criteria

Eelementary

Post Whore
Like Newcastle, you should use this weekends heritage jersey as your home and away jersey template, simply invert the colours.

As long as it reasonably looks like a Parramatta jersey I'm happy.

That white abomination we have is just...Bah.

Canard

Immortal
The design changes of jerseys on a year to year basis is damaging to the game of rugby league. Look at clubs like Essendon and Collingwood in the AFL who have retained their same basic design for over 100 years. Clubs should stick with a traditional design and only wear an alternative strip/colours when there is a clash of colours (Manly v Broncos etc)

How do you reconcile the fact that every time English Premier League teams fart they produce a new jersey? And the fact that that they are easily the most popular and sold sporting goods in the world?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Clubs in the last few years have made some great choices in going back to more traditional or simplified designs. The only jersey used currently that I dislike is NQ's.

The only thing I really have a problem with is the large sponsors on the front of the jerseys that not only don't fit in but obscure the jersey design (Drags, Storm). I don't know what exactly the solution is but having what looks like a huge garish sticker plastered on the front of the jersey (ala Broncos and Storm) is disgusting.

Also I've always wondered why clubs don't just offer the front of jersey, top of the back and the short sponsor (no sleeve sponsoring) all as one package to a single sponsor, instead of having four jersey sponsors.
Surely the exclusivity of being the sole jersey sponsor would mean they'd be able to sell the rights at a higher price. It'd mean that certain lazier clubs would have to work harder to find a good sponsor but I don't have a problem with that.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Who cares what the fumbleballers do, they have singlets not jerseys.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Totally agree. I bought a Storm polo shirt and the Storm Logo was the smallest thing on it!

I was very disappointed to see VB on the Australian shirt, cheapens it imo.

Latest posts