What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The sanctity of the jersey

Knightmare

Coach
My bad, I meant Hostplus on the back. Check it out next time you see Melbourne play. It fair dinkum looks like somebody was in the sheds cutting out pieces of paper with 'Hostplus' written on them and glueing them to the back of the jerseys.

Alex28

Coach
Besides Origin and Super League (and then the Storm as a result) when has an NRL team had names on the back of jerseys?

Nuke

Staff member
Never to my knowledge.

The ESL has that numbering system that someone mentioned several posts ago (sorry, I forget who it was!) where a player's number is based on their selection for the season. Game 1 players get 1-17, and each additional player for the rest of the season gets 18 to whatever's needed. When Andrew Johns went to play for Warrington, he was number 31. They tried to get him number 77 (as in he's doublely as good as any other halfback!), but the ESL wouldn't let them.

Nuke

Staff member
I tell a lie: players playing for Australia used to have their names on their jerseys too, but that made way for a sponsor's logo in recent years ..!

Binga

Juniors
Never to my knowledge.

The ESL has that numbering system that someone mentioned several posts ago (sorry, I forget who it was!) where a player's number is based on their selection for the season. Game 1 players get 1-17, and each additional player for the rest of the season gets 18 to whatever's needed. When Andrew Johns went to play for Warrington, he was number 31. They tried to get him number 77 (as in he's doublely as good as any other halfback!), but the ESL wouldn't let them.

Really? and i thought i was innovative by coming up with that.

Nuke

Staff member
You are ... but someone equally as innovative came up with that a few years beforehand!

I thought you may have mentioned it because you'd seen it in the ESL and thought it'd work here too. For the benefit of those others who didn't know that, I thought I'd mention my bit. I didn't realise you were one of them though!

Brycey

Juniors
The sponsors are fine by me, if i'm wearing a jersey people don't start comments about my love of Proton, they talk to me about the Tigers.

Besides, the sponsorless jerseys look like a gaping chasm of club poverty. It looks bad for clubs to have sponsorless jerseys.

Noone said a sponsorless jersey, I think most people agree that a main sponsor can fill out the jersey nicely if they fit in with the jersey design...its the overbearing amount of sponsors that is the problem.

seanoff

Juniors
there's too many.

it looks crap, it takes away the message.

one sponsor on the shirt, one one the shorts. ATM it looks cheap.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Sleeve and bottom of back of jersey sponsors need to go

Also we need better regulation in the design, intergration and placement of the logos. Brisbane, Melbourne and Manly look like abortions

ozjet1

I think the NRL should rule that advertising backgrounds must stay the same colour on home and away jerseys. The current Broncos home one has WOW plastered all over it with a white background, but on their white away jesey suddenly the background is bright red. This is marketing at its' most crass, ditto the way the white background to the Medibank logos on the Storm jersey mysteriously turn black all of a sudden when they wear their white away jersey.

The 'cut and paste' logos look is not an attractive one.

id say 'ME Bank' and 'WOW' are quite pleased with the jersey sponsorship arrangement. both are prominent on the respective jerseys. it's called bang for your buck.

but i really cant recall any of the sleeve/shorts sponsors of any club's current jerseys. it's called clutter.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd take one Main, one associate sleeve and one associate shorts. With main on front and bottom of back.

Having said that given clubs would need to lose about $200k for that to happen i doubt we'll see it. Some look Ok like Canberras but some are just dreadful like Broncos.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sleeve sponsors have been around for years. Although I think they should follow the Toyota Cup system and have Telstra on one sleeve and a sleeve sponsor on the other.

mik01

Juniors
id say 'ME Bank' and 'WOW' are quite pleased with the jersey sponsorship arrangement. both are prominent on the respective jerseys. it's called bang for your buck.

but i really cant recall any of the sleeve/shorts sponsors of any club's current jerseys. it's called clutter.

interesting you say that - I have participated in a few surveys for the Broncos about sponsors and fan's recollections of them.

ie - you would actually be surprised at how many sponsors a team actually has, but its really only the major sponsor that gets remembered when you are put on the spot.

I always struggled when it came to naming the sleeve sponsors, and remembering the big screen sponsors at the game.

I agree its clutter - but the clubs sell the space and the businesses buy it with the belief they are getting commensurate exposure for it...

axl rose

Bench
Sleeve and bottom of back of jersey sponsors need to go

Agreed. Look how bad the NSW jersey looks these days. Sponsors front, back bottom & top plus an ugly green sleeve sponsor. I remember when NSW use to play in a sky blue jersey!

Nuke

Staff member
Regarding the NIB logo, I agree. I have never been a fan of the green square on the Newcastle jerseys since they replaced NBN in about 2003. Then they go and add these green monsters to the NSW Origin jerseys too. If they had to be on these jerseys, then if it was up to me, I'd remove the green square, and have the white NIB text on the sleeve (no background). I'd assume NIB would like green to be there as it's one of their two colours, so I'd have a green outline of the NIB letters. This would make them look much better while still maintaining their logo and colours. I actually made this idea up a while back for my Rugby League 2 computer game, and it does look a lot better.

Latest posts