What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a 2012 5/8 thread

born an eel

Bench
with Sandow costing us so much we will have to use the remaining cap space wisely. As Morts is still on contract for a decent sum, I don't think we will go after any big names for 5/8, if anyone at all.

Noise

Coach
i can't believe people would still want mortz in the side for 2012. Have you not been watching the last 2 years?

zipzip man

Juniors
Undoubtedly Mortimer will be given first crack. It would be interesting to see how he would go with Sandow at 7, and whether SK would use them as a left/right pairing or have Sandow as primary playmaker. I sure hope its the latter.

They didn't chase him to play 2nd fiddle behind Mortimer.... who do you think will be calling the shots?? Moron!! :crazy:

Gronk

Staff member
speaking of Reni when is he able to join the team , obviously Wenty will be his first stop

Two weeks tomorrow (19th).

I saw an interview with SK recently. He said "from what he is told ;-)" that Reni is in the peak of his fitness and "from what he is told ;-)" has being doing ballwork and defensive work.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
They didn't chase him to play 2nd fiddle behind Mortimer.... who do you think will be calling the shots?? Moron!! :crazy:

I think his talking about playing morts in a traditional 5/8 role as opposed, to playing them one on each side of the ruck.

The Omen

Juniors
cheers Gronk and SDM on the Reni update

looking forward to see what he brings to the team.

SDM

First Grade
Two weeks tomorrow (19th).

I saw an interview with SK recently. He said "from what he is told ;-)" that Reni is in the peak of his fitness and "from what he is told ;-)" has being doing ballwork and defensive work.

By himself in a Vietnamese jungle.

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
Ha! That structure will see the Eels again finish without finals football. Mortimer has to go and a fresh halves pairing in place. Sandow is not the answer. Actually he is very, very far from the answer.

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
My structure would be:

1. Hayne
2. Burt
6. Mortz
7. Sandow

Within our own half, it is more or less Forward hitouts so Casey can control that.

Clearing kicks would involve Hayne and Sandow.

Inside the opposition half, Sandow to be the main ball player on both side of the field.

Mortz plays a supporting role ala Morris for Tim Smith.

Since Sandow can also run to the line, he has the option of using Hayne and sometimes Burt as the 2nd man play.

Mortz to follow Sandow around and/or support Hayne providing Hayne with a short option as well as a long pass optin.

Mortz to chase kicks everywhere.

He will be the Jack Russell of the team and hence, we will finally see the best of Mortz and use his best assets.

Ha! That structure will see the Eels again finish without finals football. Mortimer has to go and a fresh halves pairing in place. Sandow is not the answer. Actually he is very, very far from the answer.

SDM

First Grade
Any good 5/8ths running around in the local RL comp in Shanghai?

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
Any good 5/8ths running around in the local RL comp in Shanghai?
Plenty better than that pretender Mortimer. In 30 years of watching I don't think I've ever seen a more hyped, less talented player than Mortimer continue to get a run in first grade, aside from Daniel Fitzhenry. in buying Sandow the Eels are condemning themselves unless they buy an outstanding five eight.

You guys missed out on Moltzen. Very ordinary fullback, below average centre but outstanding halfback kept out of the side by Sheens' love affair with Lui.

Agent Mulder

Bench
Now that we have signed Sandow, I would still give the first crack to Mortimer, I think alot of pressure will be off him and he will be able to shine.

The kid has talent but i think there is far too much pressure on him to peform.

Latest posts