What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

Akkerz

Juniors
Don't overestimate the value of the Warriors to the NRL. Having a team in NZ is useful to them at the moment but imo they will drop the franchaise without a qualm if the club isn't performing or fulfilling expectations.
Gallop is no longer there to champion the Warriors cause and there are no other friends at court that I know of. There is no loyalty in business.
Our club needs to field the best teams, with the best staff , giving the best returns to even stay in contention.
The old adage - twice the accomplishment for half the recognition - comes to mind .
Many of us were league fans before Warrior days, buying the gear etc & will continue to be so. If NZ was dropped from the comp I guess we would go back to supporting an Aussie team - much as we are doing now with the finals - therefore not too much financial or emotional loss to NRL.
Me -I'd be gutted

Rich102

Staff member
True. But a huge loss to NZRL.
Let's not forget that the huge popularity swing for league has come about largely on the back of the Warriors.

Besides I am sure all of us would rather see the team doing well than limping from season to season.
The potential is huge - we just need to tap and train it correctly.
The talk of an academy is great but we need the right person to put all this together.

Interesting times ahead.

Blair

Coach
Oh, Cronulla ?
Did you forget Norths, South Sydney, Illawara and Western Suburbs ?

Bet they said it would never happen to them....

Its not scaremongering, its cold reality.

Two of the teams that entered the comp with us in '95 are gone too, but that's less surprising.

My view is that we'll need 2-3 more 'poor' seasons before we're a chance to be let go, and let go we would be. But 2013 is looking positive...starting with the coach.

As it stands the Warriors are a generally well liked and important part of the NRL (where 'national' means expanding beyond the insular world of Sydney league).

Akkerz

Juniors
yeah Rich
now we have the coach sorted I suppose we should start looking at a similarly high achiever to get this Academy off the ground. Tim Sheens could be an option lol

ozbash

Referee
Two of the teams that entered the comp with us in '95 are gone too, but that's less surprising.

My view is that we'll need 2-3 more 'poor' seasons before we're a chance to be let go, and let go we would be. But 2013 is looking positive...starting with the coach.

As it stands the Warriors are a generally well liked and important part of the NRL (where 'national' means expanding beyond the insular world of Sydney league).

3 acctually, Gold Coast, Western Reds and the Crushers..

Didnt want to bring that up as some of you juveniles would go into cerebral overload..:lol:

GEORGIE PIE was well liked, where are they now ?

Didnt want to bring that up as some of you juveniles would go into cerebral overload..:lol:

Ozbash, you seem the type of guy who if you were living in the states, would be demanding to see Obama's birth certificate.

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

And just to use the Chewbacca defense on your argument; You aren't well liked, yet you're STILL here? The defense rests....

Last edited:

Drzoidberg

Juniors

You mean you didnt bring it up because Alzheimer's made you forget.

Georgie pie was well like but got brought out by a competitor, it didn't lose it's license after an 8 game losing streak......:roll:

Blair

Coach

The GC were into their 8th season by '95. Although they changed their name in '96 to the Chargers.

Three consecutive wooden spoons from 91-93, we've a fair way to go before we reach those depths.

In '95 Auckland, NQ, Perth and SQ were the newbies. Three are gone.

Do I get a gold star to my name now?

ozbash

Referee
You mean you didnt bring it up because Alzheimer's made you forget.

Georgie pie was well like but got brought out by a competitor, it didn't lose it's license after an 8 game losing streak......:roll:

I dont have als el allt,,, f**k it, forgotten how to spell it..

Blair is the smartest poster on this board, the goldstars will be here tomorrow.

Lol @ reecey

Akkerz

Juniors
We are all in desperate need of a Georgie Pie & an icecream to dip our chips in.
That was a favourite if we won our game ~ didn't happen too often though

Drzoidberg

Juniors
You need to learn to read posts properly.......where was that said ??

pulled up on a technicality, the touchie has his flag up, got me..........

Was suppose to be after losing ALL their fans/crowd numbers :sarcasm:

Call it a post, while sidetracked

Sorry principal skinner

ozbash

Referee

Sorry principal skinner

Drdoodlebug, these mistakes happen when you realise you've been publicly spouting shit...

Never happened to me, but Ive been told you get over it reasonably quickly.

Keep trying :D

Geez,I love the off season..

Skinner

Coach

Sorry principal skinner

I find it in my heart to forgive you.....bless

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We are all in desperate need of a Georgie Pie & an icecream to dip our chips in.
That was a favourite if we won our game ~ didn't happen too often though

McDonalds is still sitting on the Georgie Pie trademark, so don't count on that happening any time soon.

Interesting analogy though, Georgie Pie didn't just vanish because they were bought out, they were in financial strife too, they built a big manufacturing plant and built a lot of large restaurants with expensive rental overheads at a time when the market shifted to drive thru and takeaway. Maccas were only able to buy them out because they went bust, though the product itself was popular. In that instance they were more like the pre-Tinker Newcastle Knights, reasonable on-field success and good local support, but badly run and no money.

Iafeta

Referee
Ok, so if we dont see at major form reversal, the gate collapses, the corporates decide they dont want to know,, who will bail the club out ?

Glenn and Watson havnt got to where they are now backing losers.

Another season like 2012 and the advertisers are gone, the clubs history...

That's a different story though to the NRL taking away the club's licence. That could happen to any privately owned club.

Latest posts