What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

Iafeta

Referee
Oh, Cronulla ?
Did you forget Norths, South Sydney, Illawara and Western Suburbs ?

Bet they said it would never happen to them....

Its not scaremongering, its cold reality.

Vastly, vastly different situations. A comparable situation is Melbourne Storm, who have cost News Limited a lot of cash over the years, but they know for the competition to get national advertisers that Melbourne is a necessary foothold. The NRL will do absolutely everything in its power to make sure Melbourne has a club. The reasons that the Bears, Rabbitohs, Steelers and Magpies aren't here are very different situations to the Warriors. Comparably if there were 6 clubs in Auckland in the NRL then yes you'd say the Warriors would be in a quandry. That's simply not the case though. Advertisers want international exposure which they can only access currently through the Warriors.

Micistm

Bench
Georgie Pie...oh yeah... Used to like that dessert they had for a while too, 'The Volcanic Sundae.' Choc covered hokey pokey bits.

KFC hot and spicy is (finally) back, if those bastards don't keep it going for a reasonable time after so long, after the season we've had I'm likely to go postal on their arses

Lossy

Juniors
McDonalds is still sitting on the Georgie Pie trademark, so don't count on that happening any time soon.

Interesting analogy though, Georgie Pie didn't just vanish because they were bought out, they were in financial strife too, they built a big manufacturing plant and built a lot of large restaurants with expensive rental overheads at a time when the market shifted to drive thru and takeaway. Maccas were only able to buy them out because they went bust, though the product itself was popular.

A legal issue too. They advertised $1 pies for an unlimited time. When their supplier's contracts expired their costs increased. They couldn't raise the prices on their core offering and haemorrhaged money bigtime.

Last edited:

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Drdoodlebug, these mistakes happen when you realise you've been publicly spouting shit...

Never happened to me, but Ive been told you get over it reasonably quickly..

:shock: I learnt the public shit spouting from u, oz

:shock: I also learnt the quick bounce back from u as well

Uh and like the touch of spending your time talking bout me ;-)

shiznit

Coach
Vastly, vastly different situations. A comparable situation is Melbourne Storm, who have cost News Limited a lot of cash over the years, but they know for the competition to get national advertisers that Melbourne is a necessary foothold. The NRL will do absolutely everything in its power to make sure Melbourne has a club. The reasons that the Bears, Rabbitohs, Steelers and Magpies aren't here are very different situations to the Warriors. Comparably if there were 6 clubs in Auckland in the NRL then yes you'd say the Warriors would be in a quandry. That's simply not the case though. Advertisers want international exposure which they can only access currently through the Warriors.
EXACTLY!! :clap:

you watch sponsorship across the board at all levels drop when multi-national companies realize they wont be advertising direct to the NZ market anymore.

You think Toyota will be keen to pay what they are paying when you take away all the NYC coverage SKYTV gives the junior warriors??

even club sponsors like Trend Micro at the tigers... no NZ franchise has an effect on deals like that.

The Warriors could have 10 seasons of rubbish... the worst that would happen would be the licence would go to another NZ franchise.

The NRL would lose too much value across so many areas.

Blair

Coach
Hell! don't follow them, it will be like the Warriors! :oops:

Yeah, but like the Warriors, for better or worse, my heart is with them.

A kid in the late 70s/early 80s is forever tied to the NZ cricket team.

But jeesh, this latest crop? Don't think I'm glued to the tv. Oh and Georgie Pie, I get the analogy now. Thought at first it was some code for a rugbly league team from way back when. Was trying to work it out.

Nothing like being a pissed student and heading to GP with $2 left. As a vegetarian now I shudder at the thought. Absolute muck! Like eating offal wrapped in oily hard gunk.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Don't overestimate the value of the Warriors to the NRL. Having a team in NZ is useful to them at the moment but imo they will drop the franchaise without a qualm if the club isn't performing or fulfilling expectations.
Gallop is no longer there to champion the Warriors cause and there are no other friends at court that I know of. There is no loyalty in business.
Our club needs to field the best teams, with the best staff , giving the best returns to even stay in contention.
The old adage - twice the accomplishment for half the recognition - comes to mind .
Many of us were league fans before Warrior days, buying the gear etc & will continue to be so. If NZ was dropped from the comp I guess we would go back to supporting an Aussie team - much as we are doing now with the finals - therefore not too much financial or emotional loss to NRL.
Me -I'd be gutted

David Gallop or John Grant... it doesn't matter...

a NZ franchise makes the NRL money just by existing...

Behind the Broncos they are probably the most important club in the competition,

SilentOne

Juniors
interesting article in the smh about player power.

Like the Roosters, the Warriors have a young squad that this season featured 11 members of their 2010 and 2011 under 20s premiership winning teams.
The Herald has been told that McLennan changed almost everything the Warriors had done under Cleary and the players initially appreciated that they trained less and the sessions weren't as hard.
But they failed to perform for him and in hindsight some within the club feel the Warriors should have promoted Cleary's assistant coach Tony Iro - in the same way Manly replaced Des Hasler with his offsider Geoff Toovey.
Toovey lobbied the Sea Eagles board to ensure that key members of the coaching staff remained and he has maintained most of the structures Hasler put in place with great success this season given what the club has had to endure on and off the field.
The Warriors retained Iro as McLennan's assistant and he is now the preferred choice of the players to take over next season.
Iro is considered a good coach who is ready for the step up to the top job but coaching in the NRL shouldn't be a popularity contest.
whoever the coach is that takes the reins next year and if the rumours are correct about Iro sabotaging the season, it's pretty clear he can't be apart of the club next year. The players involved also need a rocket.

Iafeta

Referee
LOL - Bluey. What a chump. Makes Tony Kemp look like a brain surgeon. "We're going to have short, sharp sessions this week"... dud.

vvvrulz

Coach
LOL - Bluey. What a chump. Makes Tony Kemp look like a brain surgeon.

I reckon eh! Throwing away everything Clearly did was the biggest insult of all, suddenly we're back at ground zero with years of good work totally ruined.

Rich102

Staff member
As far as I see it the Warriors have held interviews and have put a formal offer to Bellamy. He won't decide till the end of the season.
No doubt they also have a back-up in mind.
I really expect nothing more till the end of the Storm season; unless Bellamy turns the Warriors down before then.

Depends how much credence you put on the rumour of friction between Bellamy & the Storm.

Whoever is appointed I hope the club backs him to the fullest. I don't think 'player power' has any place in top level sport. If any player doesn't like what the coach says he is free to leave - when his contract expires.

Iafeta

Referee
I reckon eh! Throwing away everything Clearly did was the biggest insult of all, suddenly we're back at ground zero with years of good work totally ruined.

Duncey McClennan: So boys, what got you to the grand final last year?

Players: Uhhh... hard work, boss.

Duncey McClennan: Goodo. You're all a good bunch of boys and I know you try hard so...

Players: Back to the paddocks boss? Another training run?

Duncey McClennan: No! I'm hankering for ice-cream.

Inu: I'd much prefer to eat lollies and play PS3 Sir.

Duncey McClennan: You can pack your bags and take that attitude with you to the Bulldogs!!!! :twisted::twisted:

Inu: But..but...

Duncey McClennan: Don't but me biatch, and stop smiling!. If the club keeps this attitude up the NRL is going to cut our licence... yeah, you heard me farm boy

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

That's the thing that gets me the most. He's so arrogant that he thinks it's a good idea to completely disregard what a six-year coach has achieved in taking us to a GF, and back his own 'skills' to get us one step further?

It'd be like me buying into KFC tomorrow and going 'bugger it, this 11 herbs and spices stuff is out the door. I've cooked chicken plenty of times, I'll make it bigger and better'. Nek minnit, bankrupt.

Izz

Bench

Duncey McClennan: Goodo. You're all a good bunch of boys and I know you try hard so...

Duncey McClennan: You can pack your bags and take that attitude with you to the Bulldogs!!!! :twisted::twisted:

Duncey McClennan: Don't but me biatch, and stop smiling!. If the club keeps this attitude up the NRL is going to cut our licence... yeah, you heard me farm boy
:lol:

Meth

Staff member

:lol:

Meth

Staff member
Bàaaa baaaaaa. :cool:

What Iafeta wrote was of good value. I am recognizing that. I understand you wouldn't recognize it, because in 23,000+ posts, you've never contributed anything of any value here.

It's odd to be called a sheep by a bloke who has his head permanently jammed up Skinner's arse.

Even more oddly, at the same time, he has his head jammed up your arse. I don't know where Skinner ends and Ozbash begins.