What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

Evil_Mush

Juniors
images

It's not all I hoped for....

<3 Hot Shots movies

It's gonna look pretty silly if we fire one rookie coach for an even "rookie-er" coach, along with the guy who was fired from the club that replaced him with our former coach who we didn't want to pay enough to keep him after he took us to a grand final.

Micistm

Bench
It's not all I hoped for....

<3 Hot Shots movies

It's gonna look pretty silly if we fire one rookie coach for an even "rookie-er" coach, along with the guy who was fired from the club that replaced him with our former coach who we didn't want to pay enough to keep him after he took us to a grand final.

absolutely on the money, they look like a bunch of complete idiots if this is proven to be true

Micistm

Bench
Meh, I'll get the new League game for the 360 when it comes out this week and redo the season, problem solved!

Fast Eddie

First Grade
The only reasonable grievance you have is that it looks like they aren't going to go with a coach with NRL FG experience (although I imagine thats why they are going to have a coaching director). Have a look around the NRL though, Tigers are going to appoint Parrish, Roosters appointed Robinson. Manly promoted Toovey, Broncos Griffen, Sharks the same with Flannagan. It is far from the be all and end all. And like I've said if the Warriors had gone with Smith or even Sheens I bet you the majority of fans would whinge about them being past it or has beens.

And why would they want to fire Scurrah straight after they announce the new coach? If he was going to go to logical time would have been before they start searching for a new coach, not let him go through this whole process and then decide to oust him. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
The only reasonable grievance you have is that it looks like they aren't going to go with a coach with NRL FG experience (although I imagine thats why they are going to have a coaching director). Have a look around the NRL, Tigers are going to appoint Parrish, Roosters appointed Robinson. Manly promoted Toovey, Broncos Griffen, Sharks the same with Flannagan. It is far from the be all and end all. And liek I've said if the Warriors had gone with Smith or even Sheens I bet you the majority of fans would whinge about them being past it or has beens.

And why the f**k would they want to fire Scurrah straight after they announce the new coach? If he was going to go to logical time would have been before they start searching for a new coach, not let him go through this whole process and then decide to oust him. Ridiculous.

I kinda agree with Feddie. Seems that unless Bellamy is onboard '13 or '14 there will be a shitload of moaning and doomsdaying.

And regardless of what Scurrah hinted at awhile back, to think one of the three supercoaches would be a given (Bellamy/Hasler/Bennett), is well, naive.

As for Clearly, that horse bolted a long time ago, and when the decision was made it wasn't seen as a disaster (only a late season run that changed a whole lotta perceptions). No use moaning about it now with the benefit of retrosight/hindspect.

The options are few and none risk free.
Bluey sucked and had to go.
Sheens is elderly and his record all over the place, not in good form of late
Anderson - well that horse bolted years ago
Supercoaches - we probably can't get
Kidwell - a punt for sure, but good luck to him if he is selected
At least he doesn't have the proven useless record of Kearney and Bluey!

Not saying that Scurrah is anything but shifty nor that the club problems this season rested solely with Bluey, but would a change in CEO etcmake the coaching situation any different? Don't think so. Fact is the club, and most of us, had high hopes for Bluey but he sucked the kumara and their aint much proven in form coaching talent available.

Micistm

Bench
The only reasonable grievance you have is that it looks like they aren't going to go with a coach with NRL FG experience (although I imagine thats why they are going to have a coaching director). Have a look around the NRL though, Tigers are going to appoint Parrish, Roosters appointed Robinson. Manly promoted Toovey, Broncos Griffen, Sharks the same with Flannagan. It is far from the be all and end all. And like I've said if the Warriors had gone with Smith or even Sheens I bet you the majority of fans would whinge about them being past it or has beens.

And why would they want to fire Scurrah straight after they announce the new coach? If he was going to go to logical time would have been before they start searching for a new coach, not let him go through this whole process and then decide to oust him. Ridiculous.

Honestly? After watching this Club since '95, with it's one step forward, five back, Ridiculous is its middle name.
If they prove me wrong, I'd be stoked. But it just looks like they've taken another left turn from stupid st onto Moron drive. I really have little faith in the powers that be running this Club.

Micistm

Bench
Put it this way: They had a Rookie coach this year, poor results, lost bums on seats.
They've decided after all their talk, to opt for another Rookie coach, and not even promote the assistant one already there like the other clubs. Will he get a chance, or will he get the flick if things go the same way, and even less punters turn up? Can't imagine the likes of Glen putting up with another year if it goes that way.
That said, there were no guarantees with an experienced coach either, but it was more likely to promote confidence and get the turnstiles turning.

Who knows? I don't mind Kidwell as a person, and if he got the job I'd wish him well. What else can you do in the end? But to quote Star Wars, 'I've got a bad feeling about this...'

ramraider275

Juniors
2 million AUD offer a year for Bellamy and his support staff offered this week , during a "Very Positive" 4 hour meeting, well that's a serious offer, balls in your court Melbourne

Iafeta

Referee
I get the feeling Bellamy is target 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Daylight to option. I really think it'd be highly likely that an announcement would have been made on other coaches, but they are trying to use every ploy possible to get Bellamy over.

The downside is... when does pre season start? We may potentially not having a coaching line up installed, its a big risk to take.

Warmess

Juniors
Pre season starts in 2 weeks I believe. A coach will definitely be in place by then, but even if he was announced tomorrow he'd be a busy, busy man trying to get everything prepped.

Seems pretty clear that Bellamy is the massive target for '14 with Kidwell for '13 to get everything prepped for him, I just hope that we're a genuine shot of getting Bellamy and he's not dragging us along to get the Storm to up his pay...

Rambo1'

Juniors
I heard Melbourne are trying to sort out Cronks, Slaters and Smiths contracts before they let Bellamy go as they all have get out clauses if Bellamy leaves the club.

Iafeta

Referee
I don't think Slater, Smith or Cronk would come to Auckland and be affordable in a salary cap situation... give them a written stat dec that we won't target them and move on.

Mike0070

Juniors
I heard Melbourne are trying to sort out Cronks, Slaters and Smiths contracts before they let Bellamy go as they all have get out clauses if Bellamy leaves the club.
we obviosly cant afford all three , id definatly take smith or cronk - bellamy has already said he woudnt coach against cam smith.

shit this is getting intense , cant help getting excited at the prospect of bellamy actually coming here

Rambo1'

Juniors
They dont necessarily have to come to the warriors do they if Bellamy did come here. They could go any where. Im sure Melboiurne wouldnt want to risk losing any of them.

shiznit

Coach
Aren't we like 800k under the cap? I'd take Smith or Cronk.....
yeah the Warriors are MILES under the cap... and thats before the increases to the cap for next season as well as i think Simon Mannering, Jerome Ropati & Manu Vatuvei are all due to get a discounts for long service over the next couple of seasons. so they have space to back end.

i do know that Cameron Smith gave coming to the Warriors some serious consideration at one stage... he mentioned it in an interview once.

it would be a great buy if they could pull it off.

TheDMC

Bench
Can you really see the current Australian captain playing for the one NZ club?
Guys, keep the giz in the pants please. Premature ejaculation is so not cool.

Mike0070

Juniors
Can you really see the current Australian captain playing for the one NZ club?
Guys, keep the giz in the pants please. Premature ejaculation is so not cool.
no , but in saying that i never thought we could get steve price over here and that happened