What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

jaseg

Juniors
Could cop Mick Potter. Tony Smith doesn't appeal to me, I guess unfairly more through association with his brother.

Hah, that really is quite unfair - Tony Smith is, in my mind, definitely a superior coach to Mick Potter. But I get what you're saying... and I hold similar views about Brian Smith.

DA would be interesting, they'd have a good season somewhere.

I was going to say nobody from the UK, but Maguire has done ok with Souths - albeit with a good roster... and as I've said elsewhere, that's what worries me about Bellamy - when Smith, Cronk and Slater are not there, he doesn't look such a flash coach, funnily enough...

Warriors squad is pretty ordinary, you could have a hybrid of Jack Gibson, Wayne Bennett, Warren Ryan and Phil Gould coaching the predicted 2012 squad and they'd still be mid-table...

If Thomas Leuleuai is the answer, I'm interested to know what the question was.

The rating of Bellamy without Smith/Cronk/Slater is hugely unfair - without them he's probably working with close enough to half of his salary cap available. Can't polish a turd etc etc

As for the Warriors squad, I can't agree. They are lacking in areas, and woefully inexperienced... but they also have some incredible ability. The right coach could go a long way to bringing that out. If Leuluai's the answer, I'd say the question was 'who do we recruit a year early to take on the hooking role in combination with Mara?' :p And, er, in the meantime he can play in the halves. Yeah. :oops:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
with stand alone weekends for tests and touring when the nrl season finishes i dont see it being an issue

I do.

Whomever is hired needs to look at all Warriors systems, but leave the international side to someone else, needs to talk to Aussie and English players.

Thus the Warriors coach, should not be Aussie coach.

Wil also again say nor should any NRL coach be rep coach. Ful Stop!!!

shiznit

Coach
DA would be interesting, they'd have a good season somewhere.

I was going to say nobody from the UK, but Maguire has done ok with Souths - albeit with a good roster... and as I've said elsewhere, that's what worries me about Bellamy - when Smith, Cronk and Slater are not there, he doesn't look such a flash coach, funnily enough...

Warriors squad is pretty ordinary, you could have a hybrid of Jack Gibson, Wayne Bennett, Warren Ryan and Phil Gould coaching the predicted 2012 squad and they'd still be mid-table...

If Thomas Leuleuai is the answer, I'm interested to know what the question was.

:shock:

sorry pal but thats utter bollocks...

The Warriors have one of the best rosters in the competition.

they had a great young spine... with probably the best front row rotation in the business. with above average backrowers.

the only real weak area they had was the centres.

that's why this season was such a disappointment.

the Warriors problem this season has nothing to do with the roster. its about poor coaching and poor attitude.

this is the same roster that made the GF last season. pretty much the same roster that made the finals 4 out of the previous 5 seasons.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

they had a great young spine... with probably the best front row rotation in the business. with above average backrowers.

the Warriors problem this season has nothing to do with the roster. its about poor coaching and poor attitude.

this is the same roster that made the GF last season. pretty much the same roster that made the finals 4 out of the previous 5 seasons.

Minus about 1000 games of experience, but agree that the roster isn't our main issue.

shiznit

Coach
Minus about 1000 games of experience, but agree that the roster isn't our main issue.

yeah but i think the fact they lacked experience came down to injuries more than anything.

you look at the GF team from last season and they lost hohaia and heremaia but gained nathan friend.

so they didn't lose THAT much experience.

the problem would have been Luck, Lillyman, Rapira & Friends injuries during the season which meant they had to bring the kids in early than they would liked to have.

i dont know if you could really do too much about that... maybe they needed to recruit another experienced forward.

but they didn't really need them last season.

ramraider275

Juniors

:lol: Agree with you about the coaching and attitude, that other guy you quoted earlier was way off IMO Centre is a sore point for me, need another signing?? Would like to see the squad increased and get some experienced players in the 100 game plus category, to push the juniors along and cover for the injuries (having key forwards out injured hurt us this season)....

hitman82

Bench
yeah but i think the fact they lacked experience came down to injuries more than anything.

you look at the GF team from last season and they lost hohaia and heremaia but gained nathan friend.

the problem would have been Luck, Lillyman, Rapira & Friends injuries during the season which meant they had to bring the kids in early than they would liked to have.

i dont know if you could really do too much about that... maybe they needed to recruit another experienced forward.

Not sure this is a good way to view it.

And I assume you remember how that grand final panned out for us? :lol:

Roster depth means not so much for an individual match... it means a hell of a lot over the course of a season.

We reduced the size of our first grade squad, replaced veterans with rookies, and appointed a leadership group of guys in their mid 20s. Ridiculous.

JJ

Immortal

ok, perhaps I was a bit clouded by the events of this year...

but, the lack of punch in the back row, and the backline as a whole doesn't impress me much... outside of fullback, and what we hope Johnson will be...

Not sure I'd agree with "one of the best rosters in the comp" though - with the salary cap, the rosters are pretty consistent, I'd argue - we're biased towards assessing our young talent as better than others... guess I just don't see the quality in the Warriors key players that I do in the Dogs, Storm, Manly, Souths, Nth Qld... and while they made the grand final last year, that was a surprise really - and in a 15 team comp, it's be disappointing to not make the top 8 more often than not...

i dont know why people are calling for cleary and anderson to be given another shot, we have moved forward and in another direction and for 1 reason or another they left, we have to move forward not look back at the good times, like when u are with ur wife now u reminice about the girlfriends u had in the past and all the good sex u had but u wouldnt go back there lol

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

Moon, Seymour, Berrigan, Latimore might not have been in the GF, but they did the right things off the field and at training which set a good example for the young guys to follow.

We went into this season with barely enough experience and then lost a hell of a lot of experience in Ropati, Inu, Luck, Lillyman, Rapira for the majority of the season and then Friend, Mannering for various parts of it.

Th injuries highlighted a problem that was already there, the Warriors were just hoping nobody would notice.

hitro

Juniors
Berrigan and Moon would have been pretty handy guys to have around this year
and Inu

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
i dont know why people are calling for cleary and anderson to be given another shot, we have moved forward and in another direction and for 1 reason or another they left, we have to move forward not look back at the good times, like when u are with ur wife now u reminice about the girlfriends u had in the past and all the good sex u had but u wouldnt go back there lol

If Cleary was my ex-wife, I'd be sending him all sorts of flowers and gifts.

hitro

Juniors
Slightly off topic I know,but I was walking out of Mt Smart after the Penrith game behind a couple of boys who were about 9 years old. The one in the Penrith jumper made a long and accurate assessment of everything that was wrong with the Warriors team and tactics. When we got to the car my friend said "hey kid you should be the coach of the Warriors", he replied "my dad wouldn't let me cos he's the coach of Penrith"
True

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Slightly off topic I know,but I was walking out of Mt Smart after the Penrith game behind a couple of boys who were about 9 years old. The one in the Penrith jumper made a long and accurate assessment of everything that was wrong with the Warriors team and tactics. When we got to the car my friend said "hey kid you should be the coach of the Warriors", he replied "my dad wouldn't let me cos he's the coach of Penrith"
True

haha, that's brilliant.

Warmess

Juniors
So the official Warriors twitter just retweeted the announcement of Brian Smith getting the ass.

I hope that doesn't mean anything...... :/

Latest posts