What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The shoulder charge debate thread

Perth Red

Post Whore
How about we ban people posting on LU. For all the decent ones there's a bunch of geniuss that post stuff like this and give the site a bad image.

So what is acceptable risk for the NRL and how many injuries do we have to see before we deem something unacceptable? More concussions are happening g for normal tackles, where do we draw the line? I like the idea of ballon and hugs, the tin foil hats will surely ,ale the game safe for little johnny?

NrlCoach

Juniors
How about we ban people posting on LU. For all the decent ones there's a bunch of geniuss that post stuff like this and give the site a bad image.
GIF-angry-you-mad-GIF.gif

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
So what is acceptable risk for the NRL and how many injuries do we have to see before we deem something unacceptable? More concussions are happening g for normal tackles, where do we draw the line? I like the idea of ballon and hugs, the tin foil hats will surely ,ale the game safe for little johnny?

How about immersing your brain in some critical thinking and realising normal tackles don't have anywhere near the percentage of injury as shoulder charges. It wouldn't even be close.

But hey, everyone who thinks I'm mad - the NRL are never bringing back the shoulder charge so as long and hard as you argue, the ban's here to stay. Peace.

Front-Rower

First Grade
In my opinion banning the shoulder charge was the right call.

I think like everyone here a big shoulder charge used to bring a smile and a cheer but the night Teo knocked out Matt Groat at the SFS changed my view completely. I was sitting about 5 rows from the fence that night and when Teo hit and him I thought he was dead the way he dropped.

It's a dangerous, unnecessary method of halting a players' progress.

MarkC

Juniors
In my opinion banning the shoulder charge was the right call.

I think like everyone here a big shoulder charge used to bring a smile and a cheer but the night Teo knocked out Matt Groat at the SFS changed my view completely. I was sitting about 5 rows from the fence that night and when Teo hit and him I thought he was dead the way he dropped.

It's a dangerous, unnecessary method of halting a players' progress.

I agree, there is also the Ackerman death up here in QLD, a father has died leaving young kids behind which is very sad.

There are other cases, where that happens but you want to do everything you can to avoid it.

The problem with a shoulder charge is it is a high risk play which can go wrong resulting on serious injury or even death.

Yes, something similar could happen in other tackles, but it is all about reducing the risks as far as possible.

While it can look spectacular and be entertaining to watch, it is not an essential part of the game, they game is still very enjoyable with out it.

Footy is still tough game without punching and shoulder charges, they players have a right to as much safety as we can reasonably give them.

Lol.

Lucky the NRL refs are too gutless to send blokes off or we'd see that every week from now on. Then again if anything is going to force the NRL to sort the refs out it won't be due to the myriad other problems with them, it will be because they aren't publically executing players for shoulder charges on the spot as per the new rules as dictated by the ego brigade.

On the other hand its pomeroy so fair call.

Maximus

Coach

According to the study the NRL did, 1 in every 6 shoulder charges makes contact with the head. Do you think that is an acceptable risk? Personally I don't.

You can say "well just punish the ones that hit the head harsher", but the numbers prove that the nature of the shoulder charge just makes it more likely that it is going to hit the head accidentally.

How about immersing your brain in some critical thinking and realising normal tackles don't have anywhere near the percentage of injury as shoulder charges. It wouldn't even be close.

The study showed that there is 70 times more risk of a player being injured by a shoulder charge than a normal tackle.

"From something like 14,000 tackles made before round 22 last year there was an overall injury rate of 0.1 per cent - but in the same period 42 shoulder charges resulted in an injury rate of 7 per cent."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ban-a-no-brainer/story-e6frexnr-1226605841078

Although I think that is only a sample of the larger amount (140,000 in the study).

The full study still found the injury rate was 5% for shoulder charges (which is still too high).

http://www.nrl.com/commission-to-outlaw-shoulder-charge/tabid/10871/newsid/70416/default.aspx

The study is bullshit. Designed to garner a predetermined result. The geniuss who fabricated it wouldnt even know what a shoulder charge was. The whole issue was built as a straw man by administrators who wanted to flex their ego early on and based on a bigoted attitude that the game needed sanitising. This is what happens when you hand control to arrogant people who not only know nothing about the sport but actually wouldn't even support it if they weren't being paid massively. Now they've made this embarrassing decision they are shifting the goal posts further because even their own officials aren't enforcing it and commentators are pointing out how stupid it is. The reposnse is a reactionary mandatory sentence to save face. And that's what you get when you hand control to egos who care more about their image than they do the sport.

Maximus

Coach
So that's a no you've got no proof. It's just like the other person who claimed it was wrong because they assume there would be more shoulder charges.

Hey Perth Red, we need one of your tin foil hats.

Better than believing anything you read like a f**king sheep.

No organisation has ever set up a study to find exactly what they want it to find eh.

Frailty

First Grade
From what I read, most of the information was either research from NFL helmet on helmet contact, and then average G-Force comparison.

However, the key factor is the ARLC were concerned about NFL style class action by former players. However, the context for that comparison was poor.

I think the ban was overkill, but it's been done. Let's just actually remain sane - instant suspension for one is ridiculous.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Better than believing anything you read like a f**king sheep.

No organisation has ever set up a study to find exactly what they want it to find eh.

It's very easy to just call bullshit on research you disagree with. Luckily in the real world anyone with an ounce of sense just assumes you are a crying baby until you back up your claims.

The study is bullshit. Designed to garner a predetermined result. The geniuss who fabricated it wouldnt even know what a shoulder charge was. The whole issue was built as a straw man by administrators who wanted to flex their ego early on and based on a bigoted attitude that the game needed sanitising. This is what happens when you hand control to arrogant people who not only know nothing about the sport but actually wouldn't even support it if they weren't being paid massively. Now they've made this embarrassing decision they are shifting the goal posts further because even their own officials aren't enforcing it and commentators are pointing out how stupid it is. The reposnse is a reactionary mandatory sentence to save face. And that's what you get when you hand control to egos who care more about their image than they do the sport.

Spot on.

Look, jockeys sometimes die. Boxers die. Occasionally it happens, that's just life. You can't legislate to prevent this, without ruining what is intrinsic to the game.

I can't believe the nonsense coming out of Matthew Johns' mouth. The shoulder charge must stay banned, because his boy might get hurt? Come on.

thorson1987

Coach
From what I read, most of the information was either research from NFL helmet on helmet contact, and then average G-Force comparison.

However, the key factor is the ARLC were concerned about NFL style class action by former players. However, the context for that comparison was poor.

I think the ban was overkill, but it's been done. Let's just actually remain sane - instant suspension for one is ridiculous.

Dude this is LU, no need for logic in any posts.