What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Silly (for all the wrong reasons) Season Thread

The Rhino

Juniors
Fibroman said:
I rate him.

But from what I've heard, FIBRO, is you rate a lot of blokes and not necessarily for their footy skills or personalitities!!!!:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Big Mick

Referee
I'd like Vagana and Lyon.

1. Wesser, 2. Gordon, 3. Vagana, 4. Lewis, 5. Rooney, 6. Lyon, 7. Gower.

It'd make one hell of a backline.

*Sandy*

First Grade
So no one thinks he has discipline problems?

BTW Fibro - It must be Big Artie with the loose tongue. I wouldnt talk about you - I'm a good girl! O:)

cainen

Juniors
According to the Hawkesbury Gazette today Penrith have signed a bloke named Dan Randall from Windsor Jim Beam cup team to play on the wing in Premier League next year. They also reported that Trindall has been offered an upgraded contract to keep him at the club next year.

Munky

Coach
Lyon is not a 5/8th. He has played TWO games there in the ESL so I don't why anybody would want him as a 5/8th in the NRL where he would get owned.

I don't want him at all, he has proven to be a disgrace in the past and I don't want someone who runs away at my club.

Big Mick

Referee
cainen said:
They also reported that Trindall has been offered an upgraded contract to keep him at the club next year.

As impressive as Craig Trindall has been...I aint a fan.

I'd rather Sammut playing five-eight next year in PL.

why sign a Jim Beam Cup winger when we have Georgetown, Jennings, Forwood etc...silly imo.

choc_soldier

Coach
PK said:
So no one thinks he has discipline problems?

I need my memory refreshed - I can't remember any problems with him.

I think he would be a good signing for us. Better than McDougall (too injury prone). The talk is that Lyon will be back at Parra (or at Manly) next year, but if he was interested in joining Penrith, we must negotiate!

If not him, Chev Walker.

griffo346

First Grade
why on possibilitys of signings i wanna throw kurt gidley into the mix he is off contract at the knights and with hagen goin to eels and eels in strife maybe he would like to be under matty elliot

also i would go for matuia as well and maybe vagana

Big Mick

Referee
Players to Target:

Assuming we lose Frank Puletua to Gold Coast, Craig Stapleton to England, Danny Galea to Souths, and Frank Pritchard to Manly we will need about 2-3 forwards to cover. 1 Top line forward, 2-3 workhorse unknowns...young players even just for depth purposes.

We also need two outside backs. 1 centre, 1 five-eight, or 2 centres, or whatever, the player lists below would be my targets.

Now some of you are going to suggest we do not need forwards, that we have enough to cover the loss of the guys.

Well right now we're set to lose, Puletua, Stapleton, Galea, Swain, Pritchard...5 FG class players and whoever thinks we have enough depth to cover them...and then enough depth to cover those players who will be put up...then they are kidding themselves. The only 3 players who are ready for the step up are Bryan Norrie, Junior Moors and Matt Bell...the others...not ready. Alex Ranieri nearly.

In my opion we need to buy 2-3 outside backs...with 2 backup backs.

We need 2-3 Forwards, FG quality forwards, and 2 back ups.

Outside Backs:
Jake Webster - Melbourne
Jamie Lyon - St Helens
Josh Hannay - Cowboys
Luke MacDougall - Souths
Daryl Millard - St George
Brett Delaney - Parramatta
Clinton Schifcofske - Canberra (Has get out clause if Elliot leaves club)
Patrick Ah Van - Bartercard Cup
Denan Kemp - Qld Cup (Toowoomba)
Pat Richards - Wigan
Chev Walker - Leeds
Jermaine Ale - Canberra
Troy Boston - South Sydney
Fetuli Talanoa - South Sydney
Akuila Uate - Newcastle
Brad Tighe - Newcastle
Ben Jerrfery - Balmain Ryde-Eastwood
Junior Sau - Canberra
Leon Bott - Brisbane
Fraser Anderson - Brisbane
Cooper Vuna - Bartercard Cup
Marshall Chalk - Canberra
Vinnie Anderson - St Helens
Chris Ashton - Wigan
Karl Pryce - Bradford
Jackson Nicolau - Norths Devils
Shonotayne Hape - Bradford
Chris Walker - Norths Devils (incentive based only...he'd be better than Hookey)
Shannon Hegarty - Souths (may be looking for Fresh start...incentive only)
Luke Burt - Parramatta

Halves:
Travis Burns - Manly
Blake Green - Parramatta
Ben Roberts - Canterbury
Rangi Chase - Balmain Ryde-Eastwood
Eddie Paea - South Sydney
Lance Hohaia - Bartercard Cup
Brett Seymour - Brisbane
Michael Dobson - Canberra
Marc Herbert - Canberra
Scott Moore - St Helens
Jason Smith - Canberra

Forwards:
Troy Thompson - Canberra - Apparantly been given permission to negotiate. One of the more under-rated props in the game, and would be good with us.
Danny Wicks - St George
Dane Carlaw - Brisbane
Sione Faumuina - Warriors
Steve Simpson - Newcastle
Nigel Plum - Roosters
Reni Matuia - Bulldogs
Nate Myles - Bulldogs
Shannon McPherson - Souths
Jack Afamasanga - Parramatta
Josh Cordoba - Parramatta
Manese Manukafua - Souths
Sonny Fai - Bartercard Cup
David Stagg - Brisbane
Gavin Cooper - Nth Qld
Jacob Lillyman - Nth Qld
Tom Haberecht - Dragons
Zeb Taia - Parramatta
Feleti Mateo - Parramatta
Willie Raston - Raiders
Nathan Armit - Bulldogs
Lagi Setu - Dragons
Tony Williams - Parramatta
Matt Hilder - Sharks
John Kite - Bulldogs
Kade Snowden - Newcastle
Steve Southern - Nth Qld
Greg Bird - Sharks
Jon Wilkin - St Helens
James Graham - St Helens

cainen

Juniors
Where'd you hear about Danny Galea about Souths?? I hope it's not true.

I'm hopeful we can still keep Stapleton. I think he would stay if we offered him another 20k. Puletua and Pritchard sound as if they are as good as gone though.

I'm told by a Parra fan that someone from Penrith has "definitely contacted Lyon." Not sure about their reliability though.

Big Mick

Referee
A friend of mine who's usually pretty spot on when it comes to Souths...

He hasn't re-signed so i'm guessing theirs truth to it...

But if we're losing:
Danny Galea
Frank Pritchard
Craig Stapleton
Frank Puletua
Luke Swain

I'd expect replacements for ALL of them...plus quality outside that.

The players I see taking up the top 25 next year in our own crop:
Jarrod Sammut
Matthew Bell
Michael Gordon

mightypanther

Juniors
I don't know about the rest of the players, but we already know that Luke Swain to the Gold Coast is a cert as that has already been officially announced, and now we know that Frank Puletua is a certainty to be signed by the Gold Coast as we heard it straight from the horse's mouth yesterday after the game against Manly.

Penrith Rhino asked Frank straight to his face if the Gold Coast rumours were true, and he said that he didn't want to go, but that Penrith had not offered him a contract because Elliott does NOT want him, and because of that, he is going to sign with the Gold Coast next week.

Well you can't get a much more honest answer than direct from the player himself. I am seriously considering writing a letter to Elliott, and telling him that I was angry enough when I heard he had been signed as our new coach, but now that I hear who (and how many) players are not being re-signed, that I am even more angry and sorry that he's coming to Penrith.

If after June 30th they start announcing a heap of signing of useless players from the Raiders I will be ready to bust, and if Elliott is stupid enough to keep players like Lee Hookey, whilst letting go players of the calibre of Frank Puletua and Luke Swain, then he will really have proven that he is has nothing when it comes to coaching talent.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Your entitled to your opinion but after the intial shock of the decision I've decided I'm in favour or the signing of elliot, or rather the signing of a new coach. Nothing against Lang but his had 5 years one would presume if we had resigned him it would have been for three years. Eight years is too long for a coach IMO.

But regardless of whether you like it or not fact is elliot is coming and you've got to assume he has an idea of the type of game he'd like to play. That's going to be reflected in who we sign and don't sign.

I'm personally not dissapointed to lose Swain I think there are better options coming through the ranks then Swain.

Pritchard. His asking too much and delivering too little.

F Puletuea been one of our most consistent over the last two years. A shame to lose him and I'm not sure why elliot wouldn't want him. He provides good go foward off the bench and no matter what type of game your playing you need that.

Galea. Strikes me as odd that souths wouldn want him. They just signed Vagana and have some good talent coming through in the centres, it just needs to be honed a litte with some experience players. So I'm not sure why they want him or to be honest why he would want to go.

Lyon. Telegraph reported yesterday the Panthers have made a huge offer for the guy. Parra and manly are also in the race though manly have to figure out some salary cap issues.

Big Mick

Referee
If Elliot brings Troy Thompson with him..i'll say Frank who... He is the goods...very good player.

I reckon we'll pick up Jermaine Ale from Canberra as well...certainly a better depth player than Hookey or Youngquest.

Big Mick

Referee
I should clariffy...Danny Galea isn't definite. Just Souths are lookin at him should he become available. They want him as a backrower.

I just found out today that Frank Pritchard is expected to re-sign this week...for a hell of a lot of peanuts.

Big Mick

Referee
Friend of mine told me. Not too sure about the validity...but he said its pretty rock solid he's been given permission to negotiate with other clubs.

jason taylor

Bench
just to tell u i think lyon will go to Parramatta or Penrith.

How the heck could manly get Lyon with out not resigning a lot of player.
Matt orford is getting like 1,000,000 then they have Bell who would want a pay rise because he got into the queensland side.Also they have Menzies, monaghan etc

So its out of Penrith and Parramatta

Fibroman

First Grade
I think Galea could develop into a good backrower in the mould of a Gary Larson. He is a tackling machine, but doesn't offer enough in attack to be wearing the #3 or 4.

I'd hate to guess how much Lyon would want, but I'm tipping it would be in the vicinity of 1.2 million on a 3 year deal. I don't know whether we would have that much room to move under the cap with the signing of Pritchard?