What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Silly (for all the wrong reasons) Season Thread

Munky

Coach
parra_panther said:
Dane Carlaw -> Panthers.

According to RLW, the deal is good as done.

Not a terrible signing. I don't think we need backrowers though.

Elliot is a good forwards coach so I hope that he could help Carlaw regain his 2001 form.

Big Mick

Referee
How good am I to put him in my list of forwards and who i'd want..>WOOOHOO! Inside info baby. haha

Big Mick

Referee
Carlaw is versatile. He'd be a good get.

8. Joel Clinton
9. Luke Priddis
10. Matthew Cross
11. Trent Waterhouse
12. Tony Puletua
13. Shane Rodney

14. Dane Carlaw
15. Frank Pritchard
16. Matthew Bell
17. Paul Aiton

What a pack!

Kilkenny

Coach
According to the Mole in Rugby League Week (this weeks edition page 7) the Panthers are close to signing out of favour Brisbane Bronco - Dane Carlaw for 2007.

Carlaw who is only 26 has been struggling for last couple of seasons with lack of form and injuries. While he probably needs a change of club to kick start his career I am not sure we need to be spending what limited funds we have available on a back rower.

We urgently need one or two quality outside backs and in my opinion a 5/8!

Big Mick

Referee
we don't have limited money.

With the increase in salary cap and the impending release of Luke Swain, Frank Puletua and Preston Campbell...we should have at least $700,000 to spend.

Assuming we use the $450k which those three take up to upgrade everyone else who's off-contract...which is unlikely it'll amount to that much...but it might, then we'll still have over $700,000 to spend with the increased salary cap and the money left over from this season which we planned to use to buy a class centre.

We'll still get our outside backs...but you also need forwards.

You can't just lose Frank Puletua and Luke Swain and not replace them.

Dane Carlaw if he gets fit, and he will with a change of regime and clubs, will be a class acquisition. He's a former representative player and he has a lot of skill. He's quick, strong, and agile...but he is also versatile. He can play prop or backrow etc.

I would certainly want him in our team because he would come pretty cheap. He wouldn't command a big paypacket cause he's looking for a second chance, and we're the club that's good at providing them.

We don't need a five-eight either. Whats the point of going out and signing a mediocre five-eight that wont get the job done that our juniors can get done. Who is there, that is on the market? The only player i'd be interested in is Travis Burns...apart from that there is noone. I certainly don't want John Morris, Jeremy Smith, Joe Williams.

I think Peter Wallace is a much better option than all of them. Lets just stick with what we have for next year, concentrate on building a solid squad so our young five-eight can use them to his advantage. Add a classy backrower and a classy back and we are well on our way to success. Because remember, we wont have to hide Preston any more.

Big Artie

Juniors
we defiantely need a least a qauntity half being 5/8 an no.7 with a good kicking game especially long and a centre is a must, carlaw might be ok but I wouldnt spend any thing big on him, I believe we have plenty of forwards and the junior r ok

Caged Panther

First Grade
it's very much a shame that peter wallace got injured at the same time as gower. If it hadn't have happened he would have gotten the opportunity to stand up and say "I'm the man to take over 5/8 next season."

Instead we now seem to be grappling with the idea that we need a 5/8 and I'm with Big Mick. The options I see out on the market would be half arsed at best.

Kilkenny

Coach
We will not have anywhere near 700K to spend on new players for 2007.

The release of Pulutea, Swain and Stapleton will be absorbed by the increase in the retention and upgrade of Frank Pritchard's new contract.

While I don't profess to know the exact amount of Preston Campbell's contract arrangements I suspect he was only on 150K!

Remember, we have already resigned and upgraded a number of high profile players for 2007 and beyond including Wesser, Priddis and Rodney to name a few which do not come cheap.

Panther fans are only too well aware we need to recruit a top quality outside back for 2007 but I feel we also need a quality 5/8 to replace Preston.

I sincerely doubt Peter Wallace and or Jarrod Sammut are likely to have the goods to make the step up the NRL/First Grade standard.

Wallace is solid and has a reasonable kicking and passing game. He does however have deficiencies in defence and is not the sort of player to pose problems to opposition defences.

Sammut unfortunately is too small to play 5/8. He is even smaller than Preston and his size invokes the same problems we are having with Preston. Sammut's future is most likely to involve converting to hooker/dummy half where I think he does have a future in the top flight.

I am optimistic Matt Elliot will be only too well aware of the areas we need to strengthen and will be up to making the hard decisions.

He has shown himself to be a very good coach with limited resources and I think he will prove to be the best signing the Panthers have ever made!

cainen

Juniors
I have no idea how much we have to spend but don't forget the salary cap is meant to be increasing. To 4mil isnt it?

Big Mick

Referee
Bollocks. Presto was on alot more than 150k

And Pritchard was already on $225,000 peanuts. Its a $50,000 increase

Your forgetting we released all those players last year...Ross, Galuvao to re-sign the juniors. That didn't happen. We've still got that money left over. That would have been used to upgrade a few contracts.

Your also forgetting there is $600,000 salary cap increase....

Those 4 players...Campbell, Puletua, Swain and Stapleton...all 4 contracts put together would EASILY make up $400,000. Then we've still got the $300,000 or less...dunno...that was meant to be used to retain guys like Crossman.

Gordon, Aiton, Bell, Sammut upgrades in contract...would not make up $400,000.

If you want a five-eight...get Ben Roberts. He's the only decent one on the market at the moment. He's the only one with a very good kicking game and will be looking for a shot at first grade. Anyone else would be sub standard and I would rather Wallace than substandard.

If Sammut was told his future was at Hooker mate...he wouldn't be at the club next year i'll tell you that for free. He will be at fullback or Five-eight. Nowhere else.

If we don't have $700,000 to spend with the increase in salary cap, the players we've released last year and this year...then i'd be extremely worried about the management of money.

Kilkenny

Coach
Big Mick © said:
Bollocks. Presto was on alot more than 150k

And Pritchard was already on $225,000 peanuts. Its a $50,000 increase

Your forgetting we released all those players last year...Ross, Galuvao to re-sign the juniors. That didn't happen. We've still got that money left over. That would have been used to upgrade a few contracts.

Your also forgetting there is $600,000 salary cap increase....

Those 4 players...Campbell, Puletua, Swain and Stapleton...all 4 contracts put together would EASILY make up $400,000. Then we've still got the $300,000 or less...dunno...that was meant to be used to retain guys like Crossman.

Gordon, Aiton, Bell, Sammut upgrades in contract...would not make up $400,000.

If you want a five-eight...get Ben Roberts. He's the only decent one on the market at the moment. He's the only one with a very good kicking game and will be looking for a shot at first grade. Anyone else would be sub standard and I would rather Wallace than substandard.

If Sammut was told his future was at Hooker mate...he wouldn't be at the club next year i'll tell you that for free. He will be at fullback or Five-eight. Nowhere else.

If we don't have $700,000 to spend with the increase in salary cap, the players we've released last year and this year...then i'd be extremely worried about the management of money.

Big Mick, I actually do have some friends/sources within the club and for starters I can tell you Frank Pritchard was on no where near 225K.

I am not forgetting the salary cap increase *edit*

I didn't say the Panthers have told SAMMUT's future lies at hooker that is my opinion only based on his size. It is a fact that he is smaller than Preston Campbell and we are only too well aware of the issues we have had with Preston defending out of the natural 5/8 position.

Gowie, Clinton, Wesser and Big T account for almost half our salary cap. This is a reality believe it or not. That leaves 2 million for the other 21 players of the top 25. This does not include any money available to recruit new players for 2007. We don't don't have $700,000 available like it or not!

Kilkenny

Coach
I wish we had 700K to spend. I just dont thing we do! That is if we are complying with our true salary cap arrangements.

I said it before and I'll say it again.

If we are fully expending our full salary cap allotment on our top 25 players then I simply can't see how the likes of the Dragons, Broncos and Storm to name a few are within there $3.5 or $4 million allotments.
*edit*

I know we don't want to go there but it frustrates me, particularly when the Panthers seem to have had to release more players since 2003 than any other club?

Kilkenny

Coach
I know he hasn't had a great deal of experience in the position but I think we should go all out to recruit Clinton Schifcofske for the 5/8 position.

He has a release clause in his contract, gets on famously with Matt Elliot and is a super talent. Sure his best position is probably fullback but has all the attributes of being a top class 5/8.

Big Mick

Referee
1. Clinton Schifcofske
2. Michael Gordon
3. Rhys Wesser
4. Luke Lewis
5. Luke Rooney
6. Ben Roberts
7. Craig Gower.

Schif is the best defensive fullback in the game...always breaks the first tackle and excellant goal-kicker. I agree.

But he aint a five-eight.

Shift Wesser to centres...think of how many times on a kick return he breaks the first tackle...imagine what he could do with some depth in attack out in the centres...

richie8u

Juniors
Gowie, Clinton, Wesser and Big T account for almost half our salary cap.

????
i dont think that those 4 are on almost $500 000 each

Big Mick

Referee
There isn't a sam's hill chance that Gower, T, Clinton and Wesser are on $500,000 each.

It was widely reported Gower signed for $400,000 a year, Wesser signed for $300,000 with $100,000 third party payments...same as with Gower, T would not be commanding more than $350,000 and Clinton..well his contract was negotiated by Richardson..so we know it's probably big...but not $500,000 a year big. And he's contract comes under review next year...so its paycut or open market as far as i'm concerned with joel.

Big Mick

Referee
But like i said...if we fair dinkum don't have close to $700,000 to spend, we've fair dinkum lost the plot for money management considering the $600,000 increase.