What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Silly (for all the wrong reasons) Season Thread

Kilkenny

Coach
Big Mick © said:
There isn't a sam's hill chance that Gower, T, Clinton and Wesser are on $500,000 each.

It was widely reported Gower signed for $400,000 a year, Wesser signed for $300,000 with $100,000 third party payments...same as with Gower, T would not be commanding more than $350,000 and Clinton..well his contract was negotiated by Richardson..so we know it's probably big...but not $500,000 a year big. And he's contract comes under review next year...so its paycut or open market as far as i'm concerned with joel.

My calculations were based on current base cap arrangements of the tier 1 cap of $3.25M. As we know there are other arrangements in place for 1 marquee player sponsorships arrangements, 10 years long service discounts and the tier 2 cap. The four players I mentioned account for $1.6M of the current $3.25M cap. The additional $2M takes us up to the total allowable expenditure of players ie $3.6M.

Kilkenny

Coach
Judging by tonights inept display against the Dragons $1.4 million is needed to revamp the side, which unfortunately we don't have.

We lack pace, intensity and frankly have to few gamebreakers other than Gower and Wesser.

Fibroman

First Grade
Gamebreakers:

Gower, Wesser, (Campbell when in form), Priddis (2003 GF classic example), Waterhouse, Puletua, Pritchard, Aiton (potential).

We have the personnel to win the comp. JL's gameplans are the problem.

Caged Panther

First Grade
More speculation in todays papers about Jamie Lyon. His decided to test himself on the open market with eight clubs set to make him offers us and manly the front runners.

Now while it would be great to get Lyon I just hope where not putting all our eggs in one basket because personally I'm not confident of getting him.

Big Mick

Referee
Rob said we're after a top class centre and/or Five-eight.

IMO Lyon fits the AND/OR portion of that equation.

I still wouldnt mind seeing Lewis at five-eight. i think with an off-season under his belt, a bit of kicking practice with Alexander possibly....he would make a top class 5/8. He's got too much natural ability to be wasted in the centres.

I'd like to buy two backs....and shift Lewis to centres.

Webster and Lyon would be ideal imo...because even if Lewis is struggling, lyon can step in and make a play himself.

If we didn't get one of those guys, I wouldn't mind Clinton Schifcofske...put him at fullback with Wesser in the centres. I know people give me crap about putting Wesser in the centres, but I dunno...I just get the feeling if you put him there...that he'd explode. Having Schifcofske at the back would also be a lot safer for us defensively and he's a quality clutch goalkicker, as we found out the hard way.

Panthers_God

Juniors
Big Mick © said:

I still wouldnt mind seeing Lewis at five-eight. i think with an off-season under his belt, a bit of kicking practice with Alexander possibly....he would make a top class 5/8. He's got too much natural ability to be wasted in the centres.

I'd like to buy two backs....and shift Lewis to centres.

Webster and Lyon would be ideal imo...because even if Lewis is struggling, lyon can step in and make a play himself.

If we didn't get one of those guys, I wouldn't mind Clinton Schifcofske...put him at fullback with Wesser in the centres. I know people give me crap about putting Wesser in the centres, but I dunno...I just get the feeling if you put him there...that he'd explode. Having Schifcofske at the back would also be a lot safer for us defensively and he's a quality clutch goalkicker, as we found out the hard way.

I dont think Wesser is a smart enough defender to play in the centres. SUre with coaching in the position he would improve but I think he is more than comfortable at the back. Plus he is alot more dangerous when he roams around the field.

I would love to see just one of either Webster, Lyon or Schifcofske at Penrith but by the signings we pulled last year I dont know that we have the managerial staff the pull those sorts of big names. From what I recall our nig name signing last year was Mark O'Halloran and hes played one game in first grade

Big Mick

Referee
from Huddersfield i'd imagine you'd have no idea haha only jokin...but Pritchard re-signed with Penrith about a week and a half ago...

Why would he want to go to the rabble that is Wigan...he doesn't want to play Division 1

Panthers_God

Juniors
Good to hear on the footy show yesterday that Penrith and Manly are the most likely teams to sign Lyon. He would be a great addition.

cainen

Juniors
Tonga is putting himself on the open market. He and Rooney have combined well in the past, could be a good pickup.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Big Mick © said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Craig Wing off contract this year?

Granted, he plays Hooker, but he is fast enough to be a more than capable 5/8.

I might be dreaming here, but I think a Gower/Wing combination in the halves would be sensational!

Big Mick

Referee
Not off-contract.

Not till next year.

Rumoured to be wanting a release to join the Dragons at Halfback

Fibroman

First Grade
Lyon will finish up at the roosters with a big fat brown paper bag under the table. Mark my words.

An41

Juniors
Lyon poised to roam free as a Panther at foot of mountains

Amy Lawson
June 18, 2006
AdvertisementAdvertisement

PENRITH have emerged as frontrunners to sign former Parramatta centre Jamie Lyon after the international knocked back a lucrative deal to return to the struggling Eels next season.

Lyon was expected to play in the blue and gold again next year despite walking out on Parramatta in 2004 to return to his home town Wee Waa.

But the 24-year-old, who is playing with English Super League club St Helens, threw a spanner in the works when he told Parramatta last week he wanted to wait until the June 30 deadline passed before deciding his future.

Manly and the Gold Coast were also believed to be interested in Lyon, but the Panthers have now firmed as hot favourites, even though officials were yesterday tight-lipped on the subject.

Panthers general manager Michael Leary said the club was not negotiating with anyone at this stage, but admitted Lyon would be a player of interest if he became available.

"We're in the market for any high-profile player after June 30," he said.

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said club officials would meet tomorrow to decide whether to withdraw their offer to Lyon.

Fitzgerald said he was unaware of any other offers to Lyon and warned other clubs to stay away until after June 30.

"If he has [accepted an offer], Penrith will be in breach of the anti-tampering deadline," Fitzgerald said.

blah blah blah asotasi

Latest posts