What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Silly (for all the wrong reasons) Season Thread

BIGMAC

Juniors
Lyon has stated that he wants to play 5/8, so the roosters would have to move Anasta to lock.
If manly get him that would mean Travis Burns would become available so i can see the panthers getting either Lyon or Burns for 5/8 next year.

Caged Panther

First Grade
I don't possibly see how the eagles could fit him under the salary cap. They need a replacement for Kennedy and unless they have a talent in reserve grade by the time they recruit that person I don't see where they would find the money for Lyon.

Big Mick

Referee
I can't remember anywhere where he said he wants to play five-eight...

If we got him...leave him in the centres, sign Ben Roberts and bang...backline problem and kicking problem's solved.

Panthers_God

Juniors
Exciting news. I would be very pleased to see him playing for the panthers. He will hopefully fill the hole that Girdler has left in the centres.

Panthers_God

Juniors
We better sign Lyon because almost 2 big name centres are gone

Webster > Gold Coast
Vagana > Souths

Probably our only decent option is Lyon or possibly Phil Graham

Kilkenny

Coach
Hot off the press from a source in the Aussie Arms Hotel this afternoon.

The Panthers entire recruitment strategy for 2007 is concentrated solely on Jamie Lyons.

Panthers prepared to blow entire available funds $600,000-00 (per season) on Lyons.

From what I have been told there does not appear to be any back up plan if Lyons elects to go the Manly instead of Panthers.

Big Mick

Referee
thats a stupid amount of money for anyone.

I don't want him if it takes that much to get him.

He isn't that important.

He's not a five-eight. He doesn't have a kicking game.

Fibroman

First Grade
Lyon is a class player. My sources tell me that Girdler was on 400k (or thereabouts) for the bulk of his latter years with the Panthers. I rate Lyon at least in Girdler's class, if not, better. If I was the CEO, I would be prepared to pay at least 450k per season to secure Lyon. 600 seems over the top to me, but 450-500 is not an unreasonable figure to pay for a player of his class. We desperately need a centre 3/4, which also inflates his value to us.

cainen

Juniors
It's possible that the 600k figure includes the sponsorship allowance concession thingymajig. The allowance is 200k I believe. So maybe we would pay him 400k out of the salary cap and another 150-200k in third party payments.

Kilkenny

Coach
I am not one to spread rumours but this conversation in the Aussie this evening is factual. My source of info is a good mate who was speaking to long standing member of Panthers board! Conversation (alcohol related mind you) took place in TC's at Panthers after Dragons loss! It was discussed the retention on Danny Galea is incumbent upon outcome of post 1st July, 2006 negotiations with Jamie Lyons. IMO the retention of Danny Galea should not be dependent upon recruitment of Lyons or any other centre as his long term future at the club is in the back row!

choc_soldier

Coach
That sounds a bit worrying - by all means, he's worth chasing, but not at the detriment of other players.

We have had enough blood letting over the past few years - let it stop please!

Kilkenny

Coach
parra_panther said:
That sounds a bit worrying - by all means, he's worth chasing, but not at the detriment of other players.

Bear in mind, from the current playing roster, we have already released or allowed to leave Campbell, Pulutea, Swain and Stapleton. In all likelihood they will be followed by Galea, Gordon, McLean, Howland, Wrigley and a few others will not be with us in 2007.

IMO our recruitment should be focussed on unearthing the another Amos Roberts from the lower grade ranks of other clubs rather than chasing the likes of Jamie Lyons at ridiculous money! The only difference being we should be aiming at retaining the likes of Amos after he becomes a gun player!

The perfect example on the inequity of the whole system is Frank Pritchard!

Pritchard = $275.000-00 per season for four years.

Personally I would rather retain Frank Pulutea, Craig Stapleton and
Danny Galea on average of $100K each person than the one Frank Pritchard!

I have no doubt that Jamie Lyon will end up at Manly despite what my best mate told me this evening. I would love to get Jamie Lyon but at the end of the day one Ryan Girdler came to the Panthers for a song unwanted by the then Illawarra Steelers.

The moral to the story is there is another Ryan Girdler out there somewhere! Either within our own ranks or through skillful recuritment from the lower grades of other clubs.

The people responsible for our recruiitment/retention just need to do there job. (Unlike our major off season purchase from last season ie O'Halloran)

Latest posts