What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Silly (for all the wrong reasons) Season Thread

Big Mick © said:
I agree on Cooper Vuna.

He was on my hitlist. I was surprised he wasn't signed already.

yeah it would seem that vuna is definetly flying under the radar. could be a very good pick up for a club struggling for outside backs.

Kilkenny

Coach
It will be official sometime today LYON to Manly four year deal worth $2M.

There are very few established quality centres or outside backs still left on the open market.

We should find out in the next week or so whether the club did in fact have a Plan B because clearly Plan A has fallen through.

If we do have in the vicinity of $600K as has been suggested where would this money best be spent.

I would like to be optimistic but I cant help feeling we have missed the boat yet again.

Caged Panther

First Grade
I'm sure we've missed out. Hannay is still out there but we need a creative centre capable of creating something with their skill.

I'm a big fan of Hannay but his not that type of player.

Clap, clap to our management again...

Big Mick

Referee
how can you blame our management?

Technically they were breaching anti-tampering rules by offering Lyon a contract when he was actually signed to Manly three years ago.

Its a joke that he's still allowed to go there.

Personally I wouldn't have went for him. I would have went hard for Jake Webster, but he's gone.

cainen

Juniors
Kilkenny said:
We should find out in the next week or so whether the club did in fact have a Plan B because clearly Plan A has fallen through.

From what I can gather "Plan B" was to retain Gordon and Galea. We've already seen the first part of that plan...

Very disappointed to miss out on Lyon if it's true he's going to Manly.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Big Mick © said:
how can you blame our management?

Not blaming our management for missing out on Lyon. In the end its a personal decision for him and not something we have alot of control over.

What I'm blaming our management for is having the stupidity to sit back on their hands and wait for Lyon, who lets be honest as you said signed with manly three years ago, while the opportunity to go after plenty of other decent players passed us by.

Though personally $500 000 a year is too much for the bloke IMO and it's properly better we didn't get him if that was the asking price.

Kilkenny

Coach
I certainly don't hold the management responsible for the clubs failure to secure LYON. He was always going to go to Manly regardless of what we offered him.

Management is however responsible for not addressing the areas where we have clearly been found to be wanting, ie outside backs.

We lacked pace and penetration in the outside backs during 2005 and management in their wisdom recruited untried and unproven players from the Queensland Cup, Bartercard Cup and English Super League. (I say this appreciating the fact we had limited funds.)

However, 12 months down the track and we find ourselves in exactly the same position in desparate need of at least 2 outside backs as well as a 5/8. IMO the decision to pursue LYON was flawed when all and sundry knew he was always going to Manly. The effect of this decision is we find ourselves in the position where there is now very, very few quality proven players left on the market in these positions where we need to strengthen.

At the same time, to allow us to pursue LYON, the club had to release additions players including two of our more consistent performers of 2006 in Stapleton and Puletua to free up as much funds as possible. The effect of these decisions leave us short in depth in the front row and needing to recruit in the forwards. While is there more forwards available, as opposed to outside backs, few are any better IMO than Stapo or Frank P.

The successes of 2003 & 2004 should have been built upon as opposed to finding ourselves in decline and effectively starting from scratch trying to rebuild a side. 2003 & 2004 should have been the start of a Panthers dynasty, not necessarily winning the premiership each year but certainly Top 8 and Top 4 finishes.

The fact we did not make the 8 last season and in all likelihood will not do so this season is primarily due to poor management, particularly in respect of player retention and recruitment.

Our hopes for 2007 will largely rest with Matthew Elliot and his ability to develop youngsters like Jennings, Sammut, Grant, Ranieri, Moors and others into first grade footballers. Here hoping anyway.

Big Mick

Referee
I think if we sign noone we will see the likes of Sammut, Jennings, Moors and Grant in first grade at some stage next season.

I'm hoping Jennings, if we don't sign Hannay, will be there from Round 1. Even if its on the Wing with Gordon in the centres.

Personally I don't rate Alex Ranieri that highly...but thats just me. Tim Grant is the pick of the crop of forwards, and i'd hate to say it, but I think he'll be a lot better than any forward we have playing grade at the moment, particularly in the prop's department.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Kilkenny said:
I certainly don't hold the management responsible for the clubs failure to secure LYON. He was always going to go to Manly regardless of what we offered him.

I don't think we even got a chance to talk to him quite frankly. Manly should be investigated for possible breach of the anti-tampering laws.

cainen

Juniors
Galea is brilliant in defence. We will definitely miss him. I won't be surprised if he does another Fatz on us. But he is definitely suited more to the second row or lock position.

Big Mick

Referee
dunno what to feel about that.

I messaged Rob this morning...and said negotiations were still going..

I'm quite upset by this to be honest. We've missed out on Lyon...we've lost about 6 guys already...Plan B was keeping Galea and Gordon...and we can't keep Galea.

Something's wrong.

Bob

Juniors
Not that upset by it to be perfectly honest. Good defender but offers little in attack. As a forward down the track maybe he will go better but I have my doubts.

flash

Juniors
We let players like Stapleton, F.Puletua and Galea leave (in my opinion three of the few players putting in at the moment), and are rumoured to be chasing Jane Carlaw and Rothery, that will do me..

You can only blame the salary cap for so long, this is just poor management now.

Big Mick

Referee
I can see our signings now:

- Dane Carlaw
- Terry Martin
- Sean Rutgerson
- Alan Rothery
- Ben Jones

Such quality...

Caged Panther

First Grade
This is just f**ked up. Having not been able to sign Lyon. Having not retain stapelton or puletuea it should have been a god damn sinch to give galea what he wanted to stay at the club but apparently it is so damn simple we couldn't accomplish it. Unless the management of this club pull an all mighty rabbit out of their arse I can see a wooden spoon in our not to distant future.

Big Mick

Referee
Hello spoon....meet Penrith....Penrith I believe you met spoon a few years ago. Get comfortable, you'll be together for a while.

Latest posts