What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Silly (for all the wrong reasons) Season Thread

choc_soldier

Coach
Now Galea is gone! I can't believe this...

I don't know what to say. All this blood letting is starting to get concerning.

Are we going to sign anyone?

Pantherjim.

Referee
You watch,
We'll lose Matty Cross and Peter Wallace next, re-sign Lee Hookey and Nick Youngquest for 4 years a piece and then buy some unheard of hack from QLD cup to play 5/8 who will do f*ck all for us next year, and some no-name centre from Souths Juniors or St George premier League who will be as equally as good.:roll:

I can see another premiership-less decade looming ahead! \\\\:D/

pantherz9103

First Grade
I'm not sure if blokes want to play under Elliot and be in a club where Glen Matthews is the CEO?? Just a theory :twisted:

*Sandy*

First Grade
Big Mick © said:
Hello spoon....meet Penrith....Penrith I believe you met spoon a few years ago. Get comfortable, you'll be together for a while.

Oh god Mick, don't be so melodramatic. :lol: You crack me up at times.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Out of everyone we have let go over the last couple of years because of salary cap issues, has anyone really come back to bite us yet?

Out of everyone I can think of only really Paul Whatuira and possibly Shane Elford who has left for another club and managed premiership victory elsewhere due to our salary cap issues in the past.

I say possibly Shane Elford because again he seems to be not important enough to be made way under cap issues with another club. Fatz is the only one I can think of. And even I at the time of him (Fatz) leaving thought that he wasnt in the range of centres such as we had in Girds. He has very obviously flourished under Sheens.

Big Mick

Referee
Pantherjim. said:
You watch,
We'll lose Matty Cross and Peter Wallace next, re-sign Lee Hookey and Nick Youngquest for 4 years a piece and then buy some unheard of hack from QLD cup to play 5/8 who will do f*ck all for us next year, and some no-name centre from Souths Juniors or St George premier League who will be as equally as good.:roll:

I can see another premiership-less decade looming ahead! \\\\:D/

I thought last year we signed Cross to a 3 year deal.....

Do we have Aiton rapped up? If we don't and lose him...deadset their would be a riot! haha.

Wallace...well tbh i'm more concerned about the kids health and confidence. Jason Smith has to be priority #1 in my opinion.

Throw Michael Jennings into the #3 next year...just do it...and STICK with him.

Kilkenny

Coach
In defence of the club's management the Panthers have always struggled to attract players to come out to western sydney. This problem has existed for for our entire history and the NRL players we do recruit are generally coming to the end of their careers or are out of favour players looking for an opportunity to reestablish themselves. The Raiders have experienced the same problems in last 10-15 years as living in the nations capital is not entirely appealing for most players.

There are very few quality players left and I don't want to see the club wasting money by making desparation signings. I for one don't want to see signings just for the sake of signings, if they are not quality we don't want them. If that means enduring a lean 2007 so be it.

The management of the club must stablise our financial position (salary cap) and focus on developing the talented juniors we already have in grade and those coming through from the successful SG Ball and Harold Matthews sides.

Caged Panther

First Grade
well if we don't sign anyone this year then we sure as hell should be able to sign one next year...

oh hang on I said that last year

choc_soldier

Coach
PK said:
Out of everyone we have let go over the last couple of years because of salary cap issues, has anyone really come back to bite us yet?

Whatuira, and to a lesser extent, Roberts.

Kilkenny

Coach
But for his broken jaw at Penrith Park of all places, Ben Ross would have bitten us already. Injury free over the next couple of years we will regret week in week out the club's decision to release Ben!

Kilkenny

Coach
Big Mick © said:
Not when Tim Grant comes on the scene we wont.

That's a big call Mick. An established state of origin premiership winning front rower as opposed to a NSW U/19 Rep. Are you telling me we haven't felt the loss of Ben Ross. Come on. Let's be realistic, regardless of how Tim Grant develops Ben Ross should still be at the club as he himself would want to be.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Big Mick © said:
I thought last year we signed Cross to a 3 year deal.....

We probably have, I'm not sure. In any case, I was being sarcastic.

Big Mick © said:
Do we have Aiton rapped up? If we don't and lose him...deadset their would be a riot! haha.

I sure hope to Christ we do, and if we don't, Mick Leary would be a deadset lunatic not to have a lucrative contract drawn up for him.

Big Mick © said:
Wallace...well tbh i'm more concerned about the kids health and confidence. Jason Smith has to be priority #1 in my opinion.

Agreed. The Kid hasn't had enough first grade experience to take over from Preston yet.

Big Mick © said:
Throw Michael Jennings into the #3 next year...just do it...and STICK with him.

If we don't get Josh Hanay, I agree.

Big Mick

Referee
exactly...if we don't get Hannay...then go with Mick Jennings, because to be honest there is nothing else out there on the market that'd get me thinking "yeah we've picked up a great centre here". Go with Jennings...he's old enough.

Kilkenny, I was more saying my comment in jest more than anything. I know Ben Ross wanted to stay here and it pained me to see him leave, especially given the circumstances. I probably would have put our other prop on the market instead. But the fact remains we have to move on from that.

I see an exciting future in Tim. He's already a massive boy, over 105kg...and its not fat either. He work's hard, train's hard and he gives everything on the paddock, which is evident in only 5 flegg games has gotten players player 4 times. It is evident he is a class above Flegg. I'd throw him in PL in 2 weeks till the end of the year...and see how he handles it. Just enough for him to know that he is in our plans for the future.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Big Mick © said:
exactly...if we don't get Hannay...then go with Mick Jennings, because to be honest there is nothing else out there on the market that'd get me thinking "yeah we've picked up a great centre here". Go with Jennings...he's old enough.

What are your thoughts on Brett Delaney?

Big Mick

Referee
Had a big rap on him last year as many know.

He hasn't really come on to anything this year...but everything is telling me he has all but signed with the Sharks and it isn't an option.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Channel 10 were just saying there is a bit of speculation we are chasing craig wing. Presumably as a 5/8.

I don't necessarily see it as the greatest option for us however to me he seems to be in a similar kind of situation to what preston was when we picked him up.