What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Silly (for all the wrong reasons) Season Thread

Kilkenny

Coach
Amusing post from Parra fan in respect of the Jamie Lyon saga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk
Yeah, my Misses walks out on me for an unexplained reason. In hope of reconcilliation I don't do a song and dance about it and try to be nice. She says that its not me its her. Then she says that while we are separated she wants the right to screw around whilst she gets her head together. OK fine do that. Then she says that she has met someone else and wants to go to the UK and screw him. Again, in hope of reconcilliation I agree. Then out of the blue she starts texting me telling me how she misses me and wants to come back. So I make arrangements for her return. She even asks for new marriage papers to be drawn up and they are sent over. I tell everyone the good news that she's coming home. We are all excited. Then we are waiting at the airport and find out that she's not coming. In fact she was never coming and shes decided to find someone else to screw, someone with the most money and who will shower her with diamonds.

In the meantime, CharlieF tells me that she's really done nothing wrong and I should let go and get over her.

Not on your life Charlie.:x

I am not optimistic of securing his signature and I think he is clearly headed from Brookvale. There are not a lot of quality outside backs available so I hope Mick Leary has contingency plans and other options. I guess well soon find out.

Big Mick

Referee
i think for the money we will be offering Lyon we can secure 2 quality backs.

I.E. Josh Hannay and Luke MacDougall and have plenty left for a five-eight and a forward. i.e. Steve Southern and Ben Roberts. I wanna know who Elliot is bringing up from Canberra tbh. I heard there are a couple of guys...couple young guys who want to follow him.

In my opinion, we're losing 9 players...we're replacing them with 5 juniors in the top 25 who will be on less money...realistically..we need 4 signings, 2 of which should be top quality imo.

I'd rather have the 4 above, than 1 Jamie Lyon..

If we get Lyon..fantastic...but I just don't think he's the answer to our problems in the backs.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Elliot is qouted in todays paper as saying that we are an outside chance of securing Lyon. Which is a bit odd if you ask me if were going to miss out on him why would you come out and say it.

I tend to believe what his saying is probably right though.

Kilkenny

Coach
Theres not a lot left to pick from those players off contract from within the top tier players from each club.

FULLBACKS

Shaun Foley (Roosters), Wade McKinnon (Eels), Todd Polglase (Souths), Clinton Schifcofske (Raiders), David Seage (Knights)

WINGERS

Marshall Chalk (Raiders), Trent Cutler (Bulldogs), Daniel Fitzhenry (Tigers), Michael Gordon (Panthers), Luke MacDougall (Souths), Vince Mellars (Roosters), Chris Walker (Storm).

CENTRES

Gavin Cooper (Cowboys), Brett Delaney (Eels), Shane Elford (Tigers), Andrew Emelio (Bulldogs), Danny Galea (Panthers), Josh Hannay (Cowboys), Adam MacDougall (Souths), Beau Scott (Sharks).

HALVES

Travis Burns (Manly), Ben Reynolds (Tigers), Chris Sheppard (Dragons), Jason Smith (Raiders), Ben Walker (Souths), Joe Williams (Souths).

BACK-ROWERS

Matt Bickerstaff (Dragons), Awen Guttenbeil (Warriors), Sam Isemonger (Dragons), Craig Fitzgibbon (Roosters), Matt Hilder (Sharks), Jacob Lillyman (Cowboys), Todd Lowrie (Knights), Terry Martin (Raiders), Dallas McIlwain (Bulldogs), Mark Minichiello (Souths), Brad Morrin (Bulldogs), Nate Myles (Bulldogs), Nigel Plum (Roosters), Shane Rigon (Souths), Alan Rothery (Raiders), David Stagg (Broncos),

PROPS

Roy Asotasi (Bulldogs), Mark Bryant (Manly), Aaron Cannings (Eels), Hutch Maiava (Sharks), Manase Manuokafoa (Souths), Adam Peek (Eels), Craig Stapleton (Panthers), James Stosic (Sharks), Richard Villasanti (Sharks).

HOOKERS

John Doyle (Roosters), Aaron Gorrell (Dragons), George Ndaira (Dragons), Shane Walker (Souths).

I am afraid if we miss out on Jamie Lyon not to many of the abovementioned excite me too much.

Hopefully, there may be some highly promising young players out there the club have there eye on because I suspect that may all we may end up securing.

Big Mick

Referee
Lillyman, Foley and Fitzgibbon re-signed.

Paper said we are interested in James Stosic from the Sharks. Hope not, the guy is sh*t. He's got more mood swings than me during a Penrith game. He either turns up or he doesn't and more often than not he doesn't. Don't rate him at all. I'd rather keep Stapo and sign Manase Manukafua.

If I had to choose from that list and reserve graders whom are off contract...i'd probably choose (Assuming we lose Stapo, Galea and Gordon):

- Junior Sau (PL)
- Smith Samau (PL)
- Manese Manukafua
- Jack Afamasanga (PL)
- Josh Hannay
- Luke MacDougall
- Ben Roberts
- Nigel Plum/Steve Southern

As long as both Terry Martin and Alan Rothery follow Elliot. I don't mind Rothery. He's like Stapo...will give everything on the field. But I don't really want Martin.

Big Mick

Referee
that'd make our teams for next year:

1. Rhys Wesser, 2. Luke MacDougall, 3. Josh Hannay, 4. Luke Lewis, 5. Luke Rooney, 6. Ben Roberts, 7. Craig Gower, 8. Joel Clinton, 9. Luke Priddis, 10. Trent Waterhouse, 11. Nigel Plum, 12. Tony Puletua, 13. Shane Rodney
RES: 14. Matthew Cross, 15. Manese Manukafua, 16. Frank Pritchard, 17. Paul Aiton

PL:
1. Liam Georgetown, 2. Micheal Jennings, 3. Junior Sau, 4. Bob Blair, 5. Nick Youngquest, 6. Smith Samau, 7. Peter Wallace, 8. David Thompson, 9. Jaye Marletiner, 10. Bryan Norrie, 11. Jack Afamasanga, 12. Junior Moors, 13. Keith Peters
14. Jarrod Sammut, 15. John Flint, 16. Steve O'Beirne, 17. Tim Grant

*sigh* let me dream....I know it wont come true...but I like dreaming.

choc_soldier

Coach
If we can't get Lyon (which I think the likelihood is increasing by the day), then Hannay would a good signing. Would provide us with a defensively sound centre and a goal kicker. But I have a feeling that if the Cowboys don't re-sign him, he's off to the Titans.

May not be the definitive solution to our backs problem, but it would be a damn good start!

And please, please, PLEASE - let's hope we re-sign Gordon and Galea.

cainen

Juniors
parra_panther said:
And please, please, PLEASE - let's hope we re-sign Gordon and Galea.

I am not confident at all we will.

But surely it would make more sense to re-sign these guys rather than buying a a couple of fringe graders for the same price.

But I think we've all learnt by now that our recruitment policies rarely make sense.

Caged Panther

First Grade
which is why I said I expected our first announcment post june 30 to be the signing or rather re-signing of lee hookey.

Big Mick

Referee
guys I like I said on Penrith website. Don't expect much aye.

If we're stupid enough to go after Stostic and not re-sign Stapleton for $80,000-90,000 a year....just smells like stupidity to be honest.

Lyon wont come here. Now that Travis Burns is off to Brisbane and Manly missed Creagh, he's odds on to go to Manly.

Panthers_God

Juniors
Well Creagh, Webster and Lillyman have all been signed away aand now its looks like we wont get Lyon. Seems like it will be a few more years till we get another premiership contending team together.

Kilkenny

Coach
A number of english newspapers reporting Jamie Lyon is expected to announce he will be joining Manly as early as Monday. I assume this means Monday english time? We should be put out of our misery in the next 24 hours or so!

Pantherjim.

Referee
Kilkenny said:
A number of english newspapers reporting Jamie Lyon is expected to announce he will be joining Manly as early as Monday. I assume this means Monday english time? We should be put out of our misery in the next 24 hours or so!

Which, (according to the anti-tampering rules specified) by close of day Friday 00:00am would have given Manly officials less than 48 hours to fly their arses all the way to England (a 21 hour flight unless, by concord...I sh*t you not!) Meet up with Lyon and his manager and do the deal, paperwork and all.

Granted, still a possible scenario. However, when you consider we have just as much chance as signing Lyon as the Sea Eagles do, and according to our Media manager, our officials haven't even left the country yet having just got back from N.Z. - an extremely fanciful theory by the English tabloids methinks.

Panthers_God

Juniors
Some good news!!!

Manly have resigned Travis Burns and are now possibly out of the hunt for Jamie Lyon. I guess it depends on how much money they had to fork out for Burns but with the caliber of player they already have they wouldnt be able to over Lyon a huge contract.

Disco

Bench
We were going for Creagh and Lyon. so i doubt that re-signing Burns would bust our bank and ruin our chances of signing Lyon

Big Mick

Referee
No Disco,...you were going for ONE of Lyon and Creagh. I know this for a fact. You do not have the money to go for both. Kennedy is going to re-sign, Burns and Stewart have received substantial upgrades. You are getting another quality backrower...but you will not get Lyon unless he concedes to play in the centres. Then I guess Matai would be a very unhappy chappy.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Big Mick © said:
You do not have the money to go for both. Kennedy is going to re-sign, Burns and Stewart have received substantial upgrades. You are getting another quality backrower

Very interesting that you should say that Big Mick given there is a post up at PI that apparently originally came from the Sea Eagles Forum. In it the poster recounts the gist of a conversation he allegedly had with Frank Prichard, where Prichard said the same thing about Kennedy re-signing

Big Mick

Referee
my sea eagles contact told me that. I saw that post as well...that kinda sorta of sealed it i guess.

As far as outside backs go a big talent who is slipping under the radar is Cooper Vuna from the warriors.

A very talented young winger who has fallen out of favour for whatever reason at the warriors.

Has played a few first grade games and looked class, would go great guns in the Panthers backline

cainen

Juniors
Jul 04 - Panther’s rookie Michael Gordon has re-signed with the club for two years, taking him up to the end of season 2008.

Having played in the Queensland Cup for Tweed Heads and with family living just 20 minutes south of the Queensland border, Michael described it as a “tough decision”.

However, he is pleased to be staying with the Penrith having made his first grade debut against Cronulla at home this year.

“Panthers have done the right thing by me, so I’m staying loyal to them,” Michael said. “I feel more secure playing my football here”

Michael described his career thus far as “mind-blowing”.

“From watching rugby league in the stands to now playing there, it’s great. I’m glad to be part of it and a part of Panthers.”

Michael, who turns 21 later this year, said he is looking forward to the challenges that lay ahead for the Panthers.

http://www.panthers.com.au/default.aspx?id=3&ArticleID=205

GREAT news.