What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Simpsons or Family guy

What is better?

• The Simpsons

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • Family guy

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters

skeepe

Immortal
I don't see why everyone continually bags the new Simpsons. Some of their more recent episodes have been fantastic. Change doesn't necessarily mean worse. Take the 24 spoof... that's probably one of the best episodes I've seen.

langpark

First Grade
family guy is just flavour of the month at the moment whereas simpsons has been (fairly) consistently good, without having to rely solely on crudety.

It's like comparing joe williams to someone like Lockyer.

IanG

Coach
I love both these shows. But The Simpsons is tame compared to Family Guy. After all they've dropped the word f**k a few times in Family Guy

Simo

First Grade
The difference in comparing the simpsons to FG, AD or SP is that the simpsons has to keep all humour within a PG timeslot.

Im not sure of FG so much but AD and SP are funny but they are allowed to go where the simpsons isnt.

What gives the simpsons the biggest edge for me is that it can cater for the kids and the adults.

In my house we can watch an episode with young kids, myself (late 20's) and my old man (mid 50's) all laughing at different subtle jokes and references.

I also still love the simpsons and never really thought it went band. Enjoyed the movie to.

Red Bear

Referee
Old simpsons shreds family guy, and new simpsons is definately crapper than the old ones.
Personally

Old Simpsons>Futurama>South Park>Family Guy>New Simpsons

simpsons have been sh*t for about 7 years with a handful of good eps.

family guy has a bit more leverege in it's material. i love both but currently FG > simpsons.

all time? simpsons > FG

Dragooner

Bench
Family Guy for mine.

When watching Family Guy I'll crack up laughing every 2 minutes where as in the Simpsons I rarely get a really good laugh.

Knightmare

Coach
Eelementary said:
I actually prefer American Dad! to Family Guy. And I'm also a fan of Futurama.

Anyway, back on topic - to me, the classic Simpsons episodes were a perfect example of subtle humour that was at times understated and yet quite brilliant.

Family Guy, whilst still hilarious, is not subtle. It's just loud and crude and very funny.

Having said that, Drawn Together puts Family Guy to shame when it comes to crudeness.

Amen to that! Just a pity I can't find any DVD's of DT anywhere- not even Border's.

perverse

Referee
The Simpsons wins in quality, quantity and longetivity. while i do enjoy FG a lot - it's humour is far lower brow and goes for quick, cheap and easy laughs. the simpsons is a far classier outfit (although.. after 18 - 19 seasons.. it's quality is waning).

weasel

First Grade
I think one of the factors that contributed to The Simpsons' lowering in quality is Family Guy itself. I enjoy Family Guy, but will never hold it in in my heart as dearly as the older Simpsons, where the characters were invested with genuine pathos, the humour, as mentioned already, was often subtle and not over the top, and the plotlines always had a touch of poignancy. Then Family Guy arrived as a parody of The Simpsons, with the same basic family structure, stripping away the soul, and trying to take the humour to the next level of absurdity. It can be hilarious at times, but their determination to always land a gag leads quite often to misses, which can really fall flat, but for the less-discerning viewer can easily be forgotten admidst all the hits.

Since Family Guy's arrival and boom in popularity, the humour in The Simpsons has taken a shift in that direction as well; the plots are increasingly ridiculous and the jokes completely random, and often just as unfunny. The two issues emerging from this is:
1). The Simpsons has lowered itself to mimicry of the Family Guy formula, effectively leading it to self-parody, which Family Guy proves can still succeed, but unfortunately for the Simpsons not if you're,
2). Being beholden to a family audience. Hence, the buttons that Family Guy can push in its attempts to parody the formula give it an edge to appeal to a specific audience, while Simpsons gets caught trying to moderate its insanity to keep the kiddies involved (and Fox happy). Trouble is, you take the 'crude' out of 'childish crude' humour and well you're left with what a lot of The Simpsons viewing experience is like nowadays.

Now that's not to say The Simpsons isn't completely for kids nowadays. Infact, it's probably more political than it's ever been. But unfortunately, I find their attempts at making such statements far too explicit. Personally, overt expression of political views really makes me cringe (see V for Vendetta). Can't we have fun without having to potentially alienate or insult percentages of the viewership for their beliefs? If there's a political gag to be made, a little subtlety wouldn't go astray.

Anyway, incisive political satire should really be left to South Park these days. No one else can compete.

weasel

First Grade
Godz Illa said:
Family Guy is just an unfunny Simpsons clone with inane flashbacks. The manatees must have run out of idea balls for these episodes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZnNsbtsUV0

Heh, yeah. Can't count how many times I've been watching a Family Guy episode only to think "Hey, haven't I seen this before on The Simpsons?"

Sad thing is quite often now when I'm watching The Simpsons I find myself thinking exactly the same thing.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Simpsons > Family Guy > Futurama > AD

the movie just reinforced this for me, whilst FG is great... Simpsons was original and its longevity makes it > FG

Simo

First Grade
Did anyone else notice when at the end Homer and Bart jump the springfield gorge that the crashed ambulance that hit the tree in the original episode was still there??

A nice touch.

mongoose

Coach
I laugh harder at Southpark these days than either of them. Family guy tries too hard with it's random shock moments. Simpsons has just run out of ideas, seems like they have a celebrity guest on every episode now.

Mong

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
How could the writers screw up The Simpsons so badly? :(

Do you recall when South park went through a similar thing where it all become a bit boring.. When they gave some of the smaller characters more action and introduced a whole range of new ones it picked up again..

Not sure if they can do that with the Simpsons but i agree with the general concensus on here with it being Classic Simpsons - FG - newer simpsons.. I'd even through in the newer South Park ahead of the new simpsons... Drawn together was interesting for a while and Bro town was interesting for a very short time..

Sponge Bob while not particularly funny is still highly amusing just from it's "what the" value you get from it.. The creators must be on some fantastic drugs to think up some of that stuff. Having a child is a good excuse to watch such things...

Latest posts