What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Spine

BrissyRedV

Bench
That is another problem I have with him and half the posters on this forum. He was solid and "workman-like" against Melbourne. I mean, he tackled well, took a few runs, never came close to running to the line and putting a player through with a nice pass. He passed 5 meters before the line or he ran himself and was promptly and easily tackled. He only made one big mistake. That is all he did! WTF do you want from a half? To tackle well and put a few nice attacking kicks in? Is that enough????

Your really need to take those blinkers off....

V

Vasilevsky

Your really need to take those blinkers off....

Ok. How about the last game? I already asked Minh but couldn't get an answer so hopefully you can answer. In the last game I think we can agree that Widdop was not merely "bad", but shocking? If this is so, can you explain why many posters on this forum have since been denouncing Rein, Benji, Dugan, JDB and others but only me and one other have said anything about the way Widdop played? You tell me, WTF is going on? Is every second poster on this forum being paid off by Widdop or are they under some kind of "pro Gareth Widdop trance"?

Old Timer

Coach
As everyone knows I am pro Widdop but last game he was well below expectations

Now Vas to help me be a convert to bag Widdop praise Benji you need to do what I have asked of you several times

Get the games and edit them and send me and all others the precise times of games where Benji is so fantastic to warrant your high praise

Widdop playing bad does not instantly give credit to all others

Now surely this is a simple enough request and I would urge all others to tape the game and become part of the Vas coaching clinic

Now you will need to be fair and also highlight the not so good things Benji does as well

Ok. How about the last game? I already asked Minh but couldn't get an answer so hopefully you can answer. In the last game I think we can agree that Widdop was not merely "bad", but shocking? If this is so, can you explain why many posters on this forum have since been denouncing Rein, Benji, Dugan, JDB and others but only me and one other have said anything about the way Widdop played? You tell me, WTF is going on? Is every second poster on this forum being paid off by Widdop or are they under some kind of "pro Gareth Widdop trance"?

You really don't know much about league do you?

BrissyRedV

Bench

Yes, he had a poor game. But if you did not notice, the whole team played poorly. Using it to justify your position and ignoring all the past presented facts is the epitome of stupidity. Are you suggesting the player you always put on a pedestal has never had a poor game?

giboz71

First Grade

No one is knocking Benji.

But even you agree that 2 5/8's just doesn't work. The club had to make a call, and they have selected Widdop, probably because he is younger and more suited to be a long term captain. That decision has been made, there is no need to argue about this.

It's been widely reported we are after another halfback, and the token 300k offer to Benji is a clear sign of this. Benji won't stay for 300k.

Benji is not a half, neither is Widdop and both have suffered as a result. Widdop has poor games and was poor last week. We won't see the best of him until he has a true 7 to play with like he did in Melb. But like it our not, he's not going anywhere.

So any future discussion about our halves will centre on who will partner Widdop long term.

BrissyRedV

Bench

That would because you continuously sprout unjustified and baseless comments about him and you are wrong. One poor showing does not make the player. Also, in this case, the majority is correct. Perhaps you should start your own forum where you and your anti Gaz pro Benji supporter can go play and discuss how awesome he was against the Sharks.

Last edited:

Dragon66

Juniors
Makes a very occasional break? Would you be so kind as to provide an example of Widdop making a break while playing for the Dragons? That's making a break, not being out through a gap by Benji when he takes the ball to the line and puts players through gaps. Like all decent halves do and Widdop doesn't.
Other than that, no one is forcing you to read my messages or reply to me, d**kh**d.

Vas, Ditto!

Dragon66

Juniors
Insurrection on the freeway, turn around and go the wrong way.
The wrong way, the wrong way.

I can't hear you!

Overload, forgot to mention, chain reaction in detention.
September-sylum contradiction. Lifestyle, litmus causing friction.

Insurrection on the free way, turn around and go the wrong way.

I'm a servant in this palace, so corrupt and out of balance.
I can't hear you.

The wrong way, the wrong way.

Muzzy you crack me up!

blacksafake

First Grade
FFS look at the score on sunday & their ball control they all played shit not just widdop. That was last week hopefully this week will be better.

BLM01

First Grade
I judge Widdop although he had a below par game last week as did 16 others..
Widdop is usually there (on his own) at the back the last man trying to save a try from a kick through or tackle bust.
It is the off the ball stuff as well that I judge a player.
That is what makes him above Benji. Benji never shows urgency in defence when it is needed to clean up behind the line etc. Benji may have had or still might have a better step and individual brilliance..but a team player Na!

BrissyRedV

Bench
Widdop is usually there (on his own) at the back the last man trying to save a try from a kick through or tackle bust.
That is what makes him above Benji. Benji never shows urgency in defence when it is needed to clean up behind the line etc. Benji may have had or still might have a better step and individual brilliance..but a team player Na!

Vas is easily distracted by the flash stuff!

V

Vasilevsky

So much nonsense. Where do I begin.....

Yes, he had a poor game. But if you did not notice, the whole team played poorly. Using it to justify your position and ignoring all the past presented facts is the epitome of stupidity. Are you suggesting the player you always put on a pedestal has never had a poor game?

Nice embellishment but let me be more precise in my comment and question.

The whole team wasn't that bad but for sake of argument, let's say they were. Widdop and Mann were not merely bad but f**king terrible! While I admit Mann was special Widdop wasn't far behind. Hard to put Lafai in with those 2 because the only time he was sighted is when he moved so slow to cut Barba off when he scored (the first try), he looked to not be trying.

I don't think even you, your embellishments aside, would contest that. Yet, on this forum most of the criticism has been for Benji, Rein, Dugan and JDB. Only me and Rob Dragon (until your meek and quickly embellished criticism) said anything bout Widdop. So I'm just wondering WTF is going on?

No one is knocking Benji.

But even you agree that 2 5/8's just doesn't work. The club had to make a call, and they have selected Widdop, probably because he is younger and more suited to be a long term captain. That decision has been made, there is no need to argue about this.

It's been widely reported we are after another halfback, and the token 300k offer to Benji is a clear sign of this. Benji won't stay for 300k.

Benji is not a half, neither is Widdop and both have suffered as a result. Widdop has poor games and was poor last week. We won't see the best of him until he has a true 7 to play with like he did in Melb. But like it our not, he's not going anywhere.

So any future discussion about our halves will centre on who will partner Widdop long term.

Firstly it isn't just Benji. It's also the Dragons other backline player with at least some talent, Dugan. Secondly, the position was offered to Benji first but he turned it down. Having said that, you are right to an extent. It should have always been offered to Dugan first.

Mary has a chance to swallow his pride and admit he made a mistake because Gareth Widdop is not a long term first grade player. He tries very hard but lacks talent. If he weighed 120kg and could move reasonably well he would be a great prop. Not in the Kasiano mold because Widdop's ball skills are lacking but he would do well in the LAM mold if he learned to not meekly surrender to enemy defense as soon as a hand is laid on him.

If Mary won't do that and soon, it will be his head on the chopping block. I just don't think the team will respond to such a massively overrated and overpaid player such as Widdop. Dugan on the other puts his body on the line. Runs hard, breaks tackles, makes breaks (doesn't kick out on the full every game:crazy:) and etc. A natural leader for a RL team.

That would because you continuously sprout unjustified and baseless comments about him and you are wrong. One poor showing does not make the player. Also, in this case, the majority is correct. Perhaps you should start your own forum where you and your anti Gaz pro Benji supporter can go play and discuss how awesome he was against the Sharks.

As is said, it's not just about Benji but certainly includes Benji. The 4 most notable are Rein, Benji, Dugan and JDB in that order. I admit Rein has some things to work on but he doesn't make so many more mistakes than Widdop and is much more involved. The other 3 also are not 'perfect' (as it seems lots of homies here expect them to be. No doubt to further mask Widdop's shortcomings) but are all 3 good or very good players.

FFS look at the score on sunday & their ball control they all played shit not just widdop. That was last week hopefully this week will be better.

I already addressed this but let me ask you. Would you agree that some were worse than others? If so, who in your opinion were the 3 worst?

Would be a nice embellishment if it were original. Firstly see my previous 2 questions. Secondly, I think you have unwittingly hit the nail right on the head. Widdop tries hard, is probably a fierce competitor and severely lacks talent. If he was in a team with Inglis, Folau and Matt King outside him. Smith and Cronk inside him and Slater behind him, I'm sure he would do just fine. Actually in a such a team a thoroughly unremarkable "workman-like" player probably compliments it very well. The Dragons struggle to score points. Too much pressure (and attention from enemy defence) on Benji and Dugan to do it all themselves. That is why Widdop is bad for the Dragons.

Sorry if you don't like it but the truth can sometimes hurt.

I want to know WTF is going on. Is Widdop paying off posters here, out of his massively inflated supercoach Price era salary, to try and suppress criticism or have a large % of the posters here lost their minds in a Gareth Widdop loving trance?

SBD82

Coach
Firstly it isn't just Benji. It's also the Dragons other backline player with at least some talent, Dugan. Secondly, the position was offered to Benji first but he turned it down. Having said that, you are right to an extent. It should have always been offered to Dugan first.

Wow.

First things first. Benji was not offered the club captaincy. No matter how many times you make this claim it does not make it true.

Benji was offered the team captaincy last year for when creagh was out injured. It was reported that he turned it down out of respect for longer serving players. Nighty captained.

Mary has a chance to swallow his pride and admit he made a mistake because Gareth Widdop is not a long term first grade player. He tries very hard but lacks talent. If he weighed 120kg and could move reasonably well he would be a great prop. Not in the Kasiano mold because Widdop's ball skills are lacking but he would do well in the LAM mold if he learned to not meekly surrender to enemy defense as soon as a hand is laid on him.

That's actually the trolliest paragraph I've ever read...

Both our halves are playing terribly. Widdop more so in the first 2 games of the season. Your Benji love is as unjustified as the Widdop love that comes from others.

Also, Matt King left Melbourne long before Widdop arrived.

V

Vasilevsky

That's actually the trolliest paragraph I've ever read...

Both our halves are playing terribly. Widdop more so in the first 2 games of the season. Your Benji love is as unjustified as the Widdop love that comes from others.

Also, Matt King left Melbourne long before Widdop arrived.

I guess you are right to an extent. There is no guarantee Widdop would make a good prop if he weighed 120kg and could move relatively well.

Widdop was part of a salary cap cheating star-studded team and he wasn't one of the stars.