What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Swamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardinal

Juniors
To win a premiership you first have to be in the grand final and Brian got two very average St George sides there. He could of easy won 4 comps but has'nt so therefore is an easy target. I hope he does not break his drought with the Knights, but if the eels are not in contention I will be cheering for him.

Eelementary

Post Whore
boonboon said:
If Brian Smith had Andrew Johns at Parra while he was there they would have won 4 premierships minimum Hagan is a hack and watch for a depleted Eels to struggle

Although in saying that every club lacks depth this year so injuries will decide who struggles and who doesent

You do realise there are other halfbacks in the competition with some ability, don't you? It's not only Andrew Johns that has the ability to win a comp.

Case in point - both Jason Taylor (coming off a superb 2001 season) and Adam Dykes had the ability to lead the sides to Premierships. They didn't.

But no - let's blame it all on the players, and let you think that Brian Smith is a brilliant halves coach that was just unlucky to blow Grand Finals when he had the opportunity to coach in them.

cardinal

Juniors
Eelementary said:
You do realise there are other halfbacks in the competition with some ability, don't you? It's not only Andrew Johns that has the ability to win a comp.

Case in point - both Jason Taylor (coming off a superb 2001 season) and Adam Dykes had the ability to lead the sides to Premierships. They didn't.

But no - let's blame it all on the players, and let you think that Brian Smith is a brilliant halves coach that was just unlucky to blow Grand Finals when he had the opportunity to coach in them.

I thought Taylor retired after his great year in 2001 when Smith gave him his chance. Dykes form last year with Cronulla sums his time with us up, brilliant at times but very inconsistant. Don't forget he coached a first year half in Tim to be the most dominent half of 2005. Thats right he coached the teams and the players were the ones that blew it on the day.

Eelementary

Post Whore
cardinal said:
[/b]

I thought Taylor retired after his great year in 2001 when Smith gave him his chance. Dykes form last year with Cronulla sums his time with us up, brilliant at times but very inconsistant. Don't forget he coached a first year half in Tim to be the most dominent half of 2005. Thats right he coached the teams and the players were the ones that blew it on the day.

I meant that Taylor was coming off a great 2001 regular season.

In terms of regular season coaching, Brian is fine with halves.

But, remind me - what happened to "the msot dominant half in 2005" in the 2005 semi's? :? . No no - refresh my memory, because obviously I forget these things.

That is my point - "finals football" plus "halfbacks" do not equate to Brian Smith's fortes.

cardinal

Juniors
Eelementary said:
I meant that Taylor was coming off a great 2001 regular season.

In terms of regular season coaching, Brian is fine with halves.

But, remind me - what happened to "the msot dominant half in 2005" in the 2005 semi's? :? . No no - refresh my memory, because obviously I forget these things.

That is my point - "finals football" plus "halfbacks" do not equate to Brian Smith's fortes.
Yes he had a shocker like he did in many regular season games in 06. So now Brian can coach haves just not in finals. Any coach that can consistantly make finals with the likes of Penna, Morris, Kusto and Taylor goes alright I think, their not exactly Langer, Johns, Stuart or Fittler.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Morris is a very good hooker.

Taylor held the points-scoring record and played superbly in 2001.

I just find the whole Newcastle logic idiotic. He's had decent teams at his disposal, but hasn't won a Grand Final.

But, had he been the Knights' coach instead of Hagan, Newcastle would have won "at least 4 Premierships by now"...:roll:

Supercoach doesn't like Grand Finals. I think his record speaks for itself.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
I just find the whole Newcastle logic idiotic. He's had decent teams at his disposal, but hasn't won a Grand Final.

But, had he been the Knights' coach instead of Hagan, Newcastle would have won "at least 4 Premierships by now"...:roll: .

they also seem to think he won't play favourites when selecting teams :lol:

parra pete

Referee
Brian Smith's record at getting over achieving teams into the Grand Final, and resurrecting the careers of players who looked spent, as well as developing raw talent along the way speaks volumes for his ability as a coach.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Why is it wrong for me to say that he does not have the greatest record when it comes to Grand Finals and halves? It's true - over his tenure at Parramatta, he achieved a hell of a lot, and I for one am enormously grateful. But he never won us a title - despite having teams capable of doing so.

I was also no secret that, while at Parramatta, he struggled in trying to find a decent halves combination.

These are facts. They aren't meant to be disparaging remarks about a man I respect dearly. But we shouldn't overlook them and now claim that the Knights will be an unstoppable Premiership force in 2007 just because he's moved to a different club. He's still the same old Smithy as he always was.

strider

Post Whore
ahhhhhh - i dream of a day when parra fans will stop bitching and moaning about brian smith

hineyrulz

Post Whore
strider said:
ahhhhhh - i dream of a day when parra fans will stop bitching and moaning about brian smith
When we win the comp this year Smithy might get a rest ;-)

cardinal

Juniors
Eelementary said:
Morris is a very good hooker.

Taylor held the points-scoring record and played superbly in 2001.

But, had he been the Knights' coach instead of Hagan, Newcastle would have won "at least 4 Premierships by now"...:roll:

Supercoach doesn't like Grand Finals. I think his record speaks for itself.

Yes Morris is a good hooker not half and Taylor played well in 2001, lets look at the halves or 5/8 that have won a lot of finals or grand finals: Langer, Stuart,Fittler, Lockyer, Alexander, Daley, Lamb, Lyons, Johns, Gower, Marshall. All I am saying is Smithy never had that sort of talent in the halves to coach. Hagan has already said that he never coached Johns he basically let him run his own race. The point is you have to have the cattle to go all the way in the play maker positions and Smith did not. To say he wont succed at Newcastle because he can't coach halves is wrong and to say he will go there and win them the comp is Knights fans just like us getting excited about the year ahead.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I realise that Brian Smith has never had quite the calibre of player that is Andrew Johns to work with. But he has had some very talented individuals to work with over the years.

I just think it's too out there and ridiculous for people to say, "OK, he now has Andrew Johns at halofback - they'll win the title now for sure." Why? As people say, Joey loves to think he runs the show, and we all know that Brian looves to run the show (as he deserves to do as coach).

Besides, his pre-season preparation with the Eels was always intense and up to par, but it never got any adulation from opposition fans. I just am somewhat bemused by their total lack of admiration over Brian when he was an Eel, and yet now he's moved down the F3, he's the greatest coach ever.

Bigfella

Coach
I can't believe how highly you are rating Jason Taylor's perfromance as a halfback in 2001.

He played a role more like Geoff Toovey at Manly - season 2006. He was on the field, he directed troops, he implemented the coach's game plan - but he did bugger all with the ball and made hardly any tackles. He did kick some goals though.

I would think Jason Taylor is a far better example of the amount that Brian Smith could get out of a relatively untalented halfback that of him choking with a superstar in control ...

Stagger eel

Staff member
Bigfella said:
I can't believe how highly you are rating Jason Taylor's perfromance as a halfback in 2001.

He played a role more like Geoff Toovey at Manly - season 2006. He was on the field, he directed troops, he implemented the coach's game plan - but he did bugger all with the ball and made hardly any tackles. He did kick some goals though.

I would think Jason Taylor is a far better example of the amount that Brian Smith could get out of a relatively untalented halfback that of him choking with a superstar in control ...

The problem is, Toovey didn't cross the line 8 times, kick 116 Goals and pot a field goal..but I see where you're coming from ;-)

strider

Post Whore
JT is an example of how much Parra needed an organiser and an experienced head - he was getting on and yeah physically he was small and didn't do heaps of running or tackling - but imo he was the missing piece that made things click in '01 ..... sure someone like Johns does what JT did AND does a tonne of tackling and running etc, hence he's prossibly the best ever .... but parra needed (and probably still does need) an onfield leader with an experienced steady head like JT was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts