What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Swamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

strider

Post Whore
Eelementary said:

Besides, his pre-season preparation with the Eels was always intense and up to par, but it never got any adulation from opposition fans. I just am somewhat bemused by their total lack of admiration over Brian when he was an Eel, and yet now he's moved down the F3, he's the greatest coach ever.
mate do opposition fans know a f'n thing about ANY other team during the pre-season - sh*t NO! .... hell we hardly know a thing about our own team during the pre-season ..... if Newy fans are happy with how Brian is going then good on em - let em enjoy their pre-season

Eelementary

Post Whore
Then how about Adam Dykes? He's in a totally different league to JT in terms of talent. Dykesy can play. We've all seen him play some great matches. And we've all seen him play some shockers. But the talent's there.

My main point is - they hail Brian as the saviour for the post-Joey era...

cardinal

Juniors
Eelementary said:
Then how about Adam Dykes? He's in a totally different league to JT in terms of talent. Dykesy can play. We've all seen him play some great matches. And we've all seen him play some shockers. But the talent's there.

He might have talent but I did'nt see John Lang or Stuart Raper win comps or many finals matches with him. Maybe Ricky Stuart will be the making of him but I doubt it. He was inconsistant and injury prone for us and will go down as one of our worse buys. I agree Smith should not be claimed as the answer to the Knights post joey but judging his coaching ability on the way Dykes played is in my opinion harsh, as he was ordinary when he played for us. Maybe thats the coaches fault, but I feel it lays more with the individual player. I am looking forward to Finchy being a more consistant 5/8 this year than Dykes ever was.

Stagger eel

Staff member
cardinal said:
He might have talent but I did'nt see John Lang or Stuart Raper win comps or many finals matches with him. Maybe Ricky Stuart will be the making of him but I doubt it. He was inconsistant and injury prone for us and will go down as one of our worse buys. I agree Smith should not be claimed as the answer to the Knights post joey but judging his coaching ability on the way Dykes played is in my opinion harsh, as he was ordinary when he played for us. Maybe thats the coaches fault, but I feel it lays more with the individual player. I am looking forward to Finchy being a more consistant 5/8 this year than Dykes ever was.

to be fair on Johnny lang I thought we saw his best form while he was under his guidence, he did get the Dally M five eight of the year in 01.

cardinal

Juniors
eelavation said:
to be fair on Johnny lang I thought we saw his best form while he was under his guidence, he did get the Dally M five eight of the year in 01.

Thats true I was certainly excited when we signed him but it did'nt work out, I am not saying he did not play some great games for us, but overall he was disapointing.

The Colonel

Immortal
cardinal said:
I agree Smith should not be claimed as the answer to the Knights post joey

Eelementary said:

To a point they are right. If they let Brian do what he does best, and that is building a club from the ground up in terms of coaching, recruitment and playing strength then the Knights fans are right - Smith will be a very good pick up. (Saviour is probably going too far) Provided they don't sign him to any long term deals and tie him up for ten years than he will have a structure in place that will benefit the Knights much like the set up we have at Parramatta now.

Problem is the pain they are likely to experience to get to that point.

Pricey

Juniors
BS = choke. The guy was a loser when it came to pressure games. He however rebuilt the Eels into a team that was capable of winning it all, but the bottom line was he was responsible for all the team chokes. The pressure got to him and the players picked up on it.
I also dont think Hagan is the answer to our prays. JT showed a lot of coaching talent when he took over and if it wasnt to the decimation of nearly all out front rowers we could have maybe given things a big shake last season.

cardinal

Juniors
Pricey said:
BS = choke. The guy was a loser when it came to pressure games. He however rebuilt the Eels into a team that was capable of winning it all, but the bottom line was he was responsible for all the team chokes. The pressure got to him and the players picked up on it.
I also dont think Hagan is the answer to our prays. JT showed a lot of coaching talent when he took over and if it wasnt to the decimation of nearly all out front rowers we could have maybe given things a big shake last season.

Good to know you were talking to Brian and the players about what was being coached and how the players felt about it, or is that just an opinion on what may of happened during our so called chokes?

The Colonel

Immortal
Pricey said:
JT showed a lot of coaching talent when he took over and if it wasnt to the decimation of nearly all out front rowers we could have maybe given things a big shake last season.

JT took over a club that won the minor premiership in 2005. Sure they were down some front rowers towards the end of the season but he didn't do much else except motivate a squad that was severly lacking in that area. He also made a number of mistakes towards the end of the winning streak that had he done differently he may well have had us in a better position come the finals..... rather than playing Melbourne in week one. We will find out how good a coach he is at Souths with a decent squad at his disposal.

Pricey

Juniors
The Colonel said:
JT took over a club that won the minor premiership in 2005. Sure they were down some front rowers towards the end of the season but he didn't do much else except motivate a squad that was severly lacking in that area. He also made a number of mistakes towards the end of the winning streak that had he done differently he may well have had us in a better position come the finals..... rather than playing Melbourne in week one. We will find out how good a coach he is at Souths with a decent squad at his disposal.

that is true, we will find out.

Utey

Coach
I still maintain that with any coach regardless of who took over last season, we would have gone on our streak. A top class side who had all the pressure removed because of the expectation placed upon them was always going to succeed.

Jamie Lyon (born January 24, 1982 in Wee Waa, NSW) is an Australian rugby league player for the Manly Sea Eagles in the National Rugby League competition and also for New South Wales & Australia. He previously played for St. Helens in the Super League and the Parramatta Eels in the National Rugby League before having a falling out with head coach Brian Smith. His position of choice is at Centre though he has also been known to play stand off for St. Helens. He was named the British 'Man of Steel in 2005 and is one of the most exciting players in the game, with quick feet and breathtaking handling skills. Lyon has scored the most points in the Super League with 304 in 2006, and has been named in the Dream Team 2006.

It was announced on the 5th July 2006 that Lyon is Joining Manly Sea Eagles for the 2007 Season in a 4 year deal. Lyon has controversially been picked for the Australian Tri-Nations squad for 2006. His selection included controversy about his exit from Parramatta. Parramatta legend Peter Sterling criticised Lyon saying that he should not even be allowed in the NRL claining that Lyon took 125 000 dollars for playing only a handful of games in 2004 and considering Lyon as "lacking class". Lyon responded that he does "not look up to Sterlo" and that the comments "would not worry" him.

Im not sure if they have confidence in lyons being 5/8

Hasler refuses to name the position he will trial Lyon but it is expected he will get time at both five eighth and centre. A five eighth appearance could pit him against Storm star Greg Inglis who will wear the number six for the Storm in 2007.

Former Parramatta Eels centre Jamie Lyon will return to the NRL in 2007 after signing a lucrative deal with Manly, rumoured to be $2 million for four seasons.

well ain't that a harsh comment....

I was trying to tell you that lyon left because of smith....and was offered enough money to play for manly.....these players always go to clubs that offer them the best incentives as I understand it...

I mean if you were given a chance to earn $2 million dollars would you not take that ?

you know i have learnt in my everyday job...that i owe my workplace nothing...and maybe lyons feels the same way.....

he played for the eels...he got his big break and now its time for him to move on ....

Status
Not open for further replies.