What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Swamp

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Who cares what the general sporting public think? Those idiots ask questions like "Will Hindy promise to give 100% during the year?' Public opinion is a poor gauge of anything.

My opinion, otoh, is both reliable and accurate.

You are far too biased to be objective. I would rather take the general public's view of Hayne than some Hayne loving eels fan who can't see the bigger picture.

lingard

Coach
You can't blame Inglis for Hayne playing in a shit team for the past 3 years. It's a rather silly argument to say Inglis hasn't had to carry a team, when he's played a lot of finals footy and contributed to a lot of successful sides. The fact that Hayne has 'carried' the Eels yet we've finished with back to back wooden spoons, doesn't say much for him, as much as I think he's a great player. Your logic is like saying "in order to prove yourself as a great player, you need to play in a shit side"... which doesn't make much sense.

In regards to the World Cup, Hayne might have stood out more this particular time, but Inglis certainly didn't play badly and certainly had some highlights of his own.

I don't think it's silly. It's just something that Hayne has done that Inglis hasn't. (And you can't blame Hayne, that Inglis has played a lot of finals footy?) It's not the sole basis of my opinion, anyway. I just think Hayne is more skilful, has more strings to his bow, and is all-round a better player than Inglis. He might (I hope) be even better this year seeing that Parramatta has (arguably) the best roster we have had for about five years or so.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't think it's silly. It's just something that Hayne has done that Inglis hasn't. (And you can't blame Hayne, that Inglis has played a lot of finals footy?) It's not the sole basis of my opinion, anyway. I just think Hayne is more skilful, has more strings to his bow, and is all-round a better player than Inglis. He might (I hope) be even better this year seeing that Parramatta has (arguably) the best roster we have had for about five years or so.

You also can't blame Inglis for the fact that Hayne hasn't played a lot of finals footy.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Talent alone does not make a superstar.

When I'm judging a player's ability I ask one question - how good is he likely to be in his next game.

I think a lot of people are getting confused by a player's past achievements (which are part of judging his current ability, but certainly not the same thing).

Ability is what you're going to do next time you take the field. I'd have my money on Hayne, Inglis, Thurston, Smith and SBW playing blinders over anyone else in the NRL.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
He's not a superstar you cockmunchers.

He was on fire in 2009 but that was 5 years ago. These days he's lucky to not be injured. He's made of paper.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
When I'm judging a player's ability I ask one question - how good is he likely to be in his next game.

I think a lot of people are getting confused by a player's past achievements (which are part of judging his current ability, but certainly not the same thing).

Ability is what you're going to do next time you take the field. I'd have my money on Hayne, Inglis, Thurston, Smith and SBW playing blinders over anyone else in the NRL.

You've changed the topic. We were talking an out whether someone was a superstar or not. I maintain that fans of players of their own clubs are far poorer judges of this than the broader rugby league community.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You've changed the topic. We were talking an out whether someone was a superstar or not. I maintain that fans of players of their own clubs are far poorer judges of this than the broader rugby league community.

If 'superstar' is just a measure of popularity then we're using different definitions.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Thurston is viewed as being far more important to QLD's success than Darius. Would you not agree?
True, but out of all the players that have been named the last 3 or 4 pages which player has constantly since 2011 played with a side barely above reserve grade???? Pou gave the stats for Thurston with the cowboys and he is someone i would call a superstar and the figures are poor for a supposed superstar in such a strong squad.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
That's because he's a better player. For NSW, Hayne is the best player in the Blues' spine. Even when he plays wing or centre.

But he's not a f**king superstar.

He has potential to be one of the greats and has the talent. But is too inconsistent, too injury prone and doesn't yet have the leadership skills of the truly great players in our game.

On potential and ability alone though he should be right up there and maybe one day he will. But not just yet.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
If 'superstar' is just a measure of popularity then we're using different definitions.

That's not the definition I am using chief. George Rose is very f**king popular but I don't think many people would call him a superstar (except perhaps the waiters at Sizzlers).

Avenger

Immortal
Hayne is a superstar and will prove it again this year when he wins the Dally M medal for the second time.

Latest posts