What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Swamp

Kornstar

Coach
So, let me get this straight, you are your teams best player, one of the best for your state and in the most recent WC, you were again one of the best players on the team.......and you are not a superstar????

Wow......

For the "experts" here, i.e. magpie4ever, how do you become a superstar? Are you only allowed to be one if your team wins?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Name me one other player from any other sport in the world that is in a team that has finished last the previous two years who people would refer to as a 'superstar'.

The Oakland Raiders generally suck. It's what we do.

Anyway - at one point we had Randy Moss (one of the NFL's greatest ever WR's) and Nmamdi Asomugha (pretty much the best CB going around) in our roster and we STILL missed the playoffs and won 4 games all season on average.

Should the fact the Raiders, as an organisation, suck so badly impact on the status in the game of these two?

Well, to answer that, let me put it this way:

* Randy Moss was sought out by the New England Patriots, so he can't have been too bad.

* The moment our insane owner decided to get rid of Asomugha, several clubs expressed interest. He joined the Philadelphia Eagles, for one - a pretty high-flying club - and later the 49ers, a club with rich history.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Queensland fans in the NRL Forum made a big show and dance about how Hayne was not playing Game II. They also pretty much unanimously said he's the only bloke in NSW colours that would walk into the Maroons' 17. There was even an article last year saying the same thing - I remember it because someone was disputing the fact that Hayne would walk into the Maroons' squad and I found that article.

Eelementary, I'm sorry you now hate me; but if such an article exists, it is only an opinion piece. Opinion Piece is by definition a subjective view of a subject.

That it my point, subjectively people can say Jarryd is a superstar 9good on them); but there are no facts or figures too say such.

Eelementary

Post Whore
An by the way - the Raiders didn't just finish last two years in a row. We pretty much sucked for a decade.

In fact, we still suck.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Eelementary, I'm sorry you now hate me; but if such an article exists, it is only an opinion piece. Opinion Piece is by definition a subjective view of a subject.

That it my point, subjectively people can say Jarryd is a superstar 9good on them); but there are no facts or figures too say such.

Nah - don't hate you.

And it is an opinion piece.

However, if people with much closer ties to elite-level rugby league than everyone on this entire forum combined think he's good enough, that's good for me.

And it's not so hard to see it happening - Hayne is a better player than Boyd and Tate, easily. He'd walk into the side over them no worries.

Eelementary

Post Whore

So, let me get this straight, you are your teams best player, one of the best for your state and in the most recent WC, you were again one of the best players on the team.......and you are not a superstar????

Wow......

For the "experts" here, i.e. magpie4ever, how do you become a superstar? Are you only allowed to be one if your team wins?

No, because there apparently no facts and figures to support this assertion...

magpie4ever

First Grade

Wow......

By being subjectively (that it the key word) seen by your club supporters as one.

You (supporters) are entitled to say and believe it; but don't quote figures which I showed even a probable very good player, definitely not a superstar (Cronk) clearly bettered.

I'm ok if Parra supporter believe he is; but don't quote bullshit facts and figures.

Last edited:
One thing going in JH's favour is that he has the same number of syllables in his name as Jesus Christ, so his name fits sort of ok in to theme song from Jesus Christ Superstar. That said, Cooper Cronk fits in a little better, so that probably proves his superiority beyond doubt.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Nah - don't hate you.

And it is an opinion piece.

However, if people with much closer ties to elite-level rugby league than everyone on this entire forum combined think he's good enough, that's good for me.

And it's not so hard to see it happening - Hayne is a better player than Boyd and Tate, easily. He'd walk into the side over them no worries.

Who, Moore and Choppy - the brain power of a worm there. You are now being silly.

magpie4ever

First Grade
One thing going in JH's favour is that he has the same number of syllables in his name as Jesus Christ, so his name fits sort of ok in to theme song from Jesus Christ Superstar. That said, Cooper Cronk fits in a little better, so that probably proves his superiority beyond doubt.

:lol: You f**king goose. I'm trying to get these posters to understand the difference between subjective and objective; and you come up with that.

Cooper Cronk, does fit better.:?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sorry, somehow in my mind; I did not think you was a f**kwit but I'm wrong.

Every few would rate Cronk a better natural footballer than Hayne.

But to quote a 15% win ratio to a 30% win ratio shows you are a goose. As said in one of my initial post on this subject, it is easier to lift a ratio from such a low base (15%) to another low ratio (30%) than the higher win ratio of the other players, you provided as example.

How can Inglis lift the win ratio from 52% to 104%, you are a rabid subjective Parramatta supporter has far as Hayne is concerned?

You're the one being dishonest. Inglis has won 62.5% over the past four years. Without him his teams have been good enough to win 52% of the time. Hayne's 33% with the Eels is brought into perspective by Parramatta's 15% win rate when he doesn't play. If Inglis were that influential then his teams would win less than 30% of the time without him.

I'm sure you'll agree it's easier to drop the win rate from a higher base.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So he could make the QLDER side.......superstar.

There's obviously a few Blues players that would make the Queensland side - if the 17th best Queenslander was better than the best New South Waleser then NSW would never win a game.

Hayne's just the only one they will admit to.

#superstar

magpie4ever

First Grade
You're the one being dishonest. Inglis has won 62.5% over the past four years. Without him his teams have been good enough to win 52% of the time. Hayne's 33% with the Eels is brought into perspective by Parramatta's 15% win rate when he doesn't play. If Inglis were that influential then his teams would win less than 30% of the time without him.

I'm sure you'll agree it's easier to drop the win rate from a higher base.

That is just bullshit. Ok, give everyone the base figures for Hayne and Inglis - games played, games not played.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So where's your objective proof that he's not a superstar? It's entirely a matter of opinion.

I gave you his list of achievements and accolades. Individual stats and statistical aggregators all show he performs as well as anyone in the game. I'm the only one who has given any evidence here.

Where's your counter evidence? All you've done is shriek "That's your opinion!" If you're unable to objectively prove that Hayne is not a superstar, how could anyone objectively prove that he is? And if it can't be proved either way then whatever you say is just your subjective opinion. Which makes your rant against subjectivity just a load of hypocrisy.

We both have an opinion. But I'm the only one with evidence supporting mine.

Latest posts