What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Swamp

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
This is exactly my point. Honestly Inglis hasn't threatened in an Aus game or Qld game in about 2 years (unless I've forgotten a game)
Hayne was leading try scorer in the World Cup after playing 4-5 games, I'd call that a proven winners effort, wouldn't you? I'm not even counting Haynes line breaks or try assists for the World Cup.

It was nice to see him not have to worry about being the playmaker.

If someone could relieve him of that responsibility at Parramatta it would improve his game considerably.

magpie4ever

First Grade
This is exactly my point. Honestly Inglis hasn't threatened in an Aus game or Qld game in about 2 years (unless I've forgotten a game)
Hayne was leading try scorer in the World Cup after playing 4-5 games, I'd call that a proven winners effort, wouldn't you? I'm not even counting Haynes line breaks or try assists for the World Cup.

What Fiji, USA etc, it can not be taken as serious indicator.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I reckon there are quite a few top line NRL centres that would be capable of bagging a number of tries against such poor opposition.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Because Inglis is a proven winner. Hayne isn't.

Personally, I'd have them on par.

Everyone that plays for Melbourne and Queensland are 'proven winners'. Everyone that plays for Parramatta and NSW are not.

It's a team game, so team outcomes are not a reliable indicator of individual quality.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Because that it what people think. It should not upset Parra supporters.

Some also rate Inglis a better fullback than Slater; but anyone with any league knowledge knows that is not so.

Inglis is a better fullback than Slater. The only thing Slater does better is his workrate. Hayne is also a better fullback than Slater.

Slater was probably the best fullback in 2008, but since then he has ridden on the back of incumbency and his combination with Smith and Cronk. It helps him that Inglis is capable of playing centre, and that Hayne is not a Queenslander.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Everyone that plays for Melbourne and Queensland are 'proven winners'. Everyone that plays for Parramatta and NSW are not.

It's a team game, so team outcomes are not a reliable indicator of individual quality.

It is not as simple as that. In making that comment I also considered the important role that Inglis has played in those successful teams. If he was some wooduck who rode on the back of others then I wouldn't have made that comment.

Shane Perry won a premiership but he is not really a 'proven winner' as much as he is a 'proven lucky merkin'.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Inglis is a better fullback than Slater. The only thing Slater does better is his workrate. Hayne is also a better fullback than Slater.

Slater was probably the best fullback in 2008, but since then he has ridden on the back of incumbency and his combination with Smith and Cronk. It helps him that Inglis is capable of playing centre, and that Hayne is not a Queenslander.

As usual, dude; you have proven you have no idea.

Did you see the 3rd best fullback in the NRL (by your subjective judgment) step and push off Sam Burgess in the only competitive game the Kangaroos played in the world cup.

and the ball sails right between the post: game, set, match - the Magpie.

Give up, your fellow Parra supporters are seeing what a goose you are.

Billy Slater - best fullback I have ever seen and I hate Melbourne and Queensland.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
What has one play got to do with anything? Even Jordan Atkins managed to score 4 tries in a match once.

magpie4ever

First Grade
What has one play got to do with anything? Even Jordan Atkins managed to score 4 tries in a match once.

If that is about my Slater comment, it was to show how the 3rd or below best fullback in the NRL(by the Pooman) made one the best forwards in the world look average.

Slater has been the most consistent fullback and at a remarkably high (unbelievable) level for 5-6 years.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As usual, dude; you have proven you have no idea.

Did you see the 3rd best fullback in the NRL (by your subjective judgment) step and push off Sam Burgess in the only competitive game the Kangaroos played in the world cup.

So by your subjective judgement this is the measure of a player? Whether he can beat a man one-on-one?

When he can palm off Sam Burgess without also wrong footing him I will concede he might still be special. But tiny little Matt Bowen has the record for broken tackles in a season. Here's a hint - if you're running sideways or have the defender off balance it's a lot easier to palm them off. If you'd ever played the game you'd know that.

I was a shit player; in-and-away was the only move I had. But I broke plenty of tackles with it when I found myself on the outside of the defender.

and the ball sails right between the post: game, set, match - the Magpie.

Give up, your fellow Parra supporters are seeing what a goose you are.

Billy Slater - best fullback I have ever seen and I hate Melbourne and Queensland.

At his best I agree he might've been. Probably too error prone though, especially in big games.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If that is about my Slater comment, it was to show how the 3rd or below best fullback in the NRL(by the Pooman) made one the best forwards in the world look average.

Blake Ferguson made Hindy look average once too. Every player in the NRL misses tackles sometimes.

Slater has been the most consistent fullback and at a remarkably high (unbelievable) level for 5-6 years.
Agree 100%. He will go down as one of the all-time greats.

But in January 2014 he is far from the best fullback in the NRL. Even in 2013 there were better.

magpie4ever

First Grade
So by your subjective judgement this is the measure of a player? Whether he can beat a man one-on-one?

When he can palm off Sam Burgess without also wrong footing him I will concede he might still be special. But tiny little Matt Bowen has the record for broken tackles in a season. Here's a hint - if you're running sideways or have the defender off balance it's a lot easier to palm them off. If you'd ever played the game you'd know that.

I was a shit player; in-and-away was the only move I had. But I broke plenty of tackles with it when I found myself on the outside of the defender.

At his best I agree he might've been. Probably too error prone though, especially in big games.

At a slighty higher level than you, my man.:D

Joely01

Bench
I agree that he isn't consistent.

This is why I previously suggested that Inglis and Hayne are on par.

Do you think that Hayne plays really well in every game that he plays?

I don't think he plays really well every game, but think he plays more really well games then Inglis