What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Swamp

magpie4ever

First Grade
So by your subjective judgement this is the measure of a player? Whether he can beat a man one-on-one?

When he can palm off Sam Burgess without also wrong footing him I will concede he might still be special. But tiny little Matt Bowen has the record for broken tackles in a season. Here's a hint - if you're running sideways or have the defender off balance it's a lot easier to palm them off. If you'd ever played the game you'd know that.

I was a shit player; in-and-away was the only move I had. But I broke plenty of tackles with it when I found myself on the outside of the defender.

At his best I agree he might've been. Probably too error prone though, especially in big games.

All opinion is subjective.

Eelementary

Post Whore
You don't know my background.

What is your point? The more games you play the more your stats can vary.

Hayne is a very good footballer who has had injuries over the past two seasons that have reduced his overall effectiveness for his club.

Billy Slater is the best fullback, I have ever seen; and I remember from Langlands onwards. Slater is a superstar.

You're saying you've achieved similar things in the game at an elite level to Choppy?

That's exactly the point - Slater played most of the season, and Hayne played like 10 games. And Hayne still produced stats that are comparable to those of Slater.

So you have the best fullback you've ever seen, and then you have a bloke who you say isn't as good, but can produce similar numbers from far fewer games.

Eelementary

Post Whore
No - it is not an illusion. I see everything that he does for our team and I am not one of these deadshits who thinks he hasn't been great since 2009.

However, my one main criticism of him is a player is the same criticism I had of Benji. I think because of how talented he is he sometimes overplays his hand as a playmaker and tries to come up with really difficult plays rather than waiting for the right time to choose the best option. And before someone comments on the crap players he has around him. I get that, but also don't think that excuses throwing a 40m bullet pass that even Usain Bolt would struggle to run on to.

Other nights he is out of this world in attack but overall I just wish he was a bit more consistent and measured. No issues with the rest of his game though. He positions himself well in defence and has become a superb defender.

It never ceases to amaze me how that anything other than saying "Hayne is the greatest player in the world" seems to get such an almighty reaction.

Is it possible that perhaps there might be some aspects of his game which Hayne is trying to improve on?

Here is a question: Hayne started First Grade on the wing, and then moved to fullback (I mean full-time). Shortly thereafter, he becomes our only point of attack and has to do everything.

Combined with a terrible side, is it not fair to say that he has done very well to make the mark he has? Would it be a fair call to say that had he been playing for a better team these last few years, that he would be considered much higher than he is now?

End of the day, it doesn't bother me. I know he's a freak. I know he's our captain. And I know I wouldn't swap him for anyone else.

magpie4ever

First Grade
You're saying you've achieved similar things in the game at an elite level to Choppy?

That's exactly the point - Slater played most of the season, and Hayne played like 10 games. And Hayne still produced stats that are comparable to those of Slater.

So you have the best fullback you've ever seen, and then you have a bloke who you say isn't as good, but can produce similar numbers from far fewer games.

No, who made that comment.

Please publish or provide a link to these stats. What do they include?

Many pointless comments without material to back it up, because I have no idea of these said stats that prove one fullback is better than another.

Eelementary, are you making this stuff up?

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I like Hayne, but I have seen him play some shockers. Overplaying his hand and trying too hard after returning from injury.
Overplaying his hand in easily the worst side in the comp, Inglis and Slater never have to worry about this because of the quality players around them. I'd love to see how they would go In Parra's team the last 3 seasons while it would be scary thing think what Hayne would have achieved at Manly,Melborune or the Roosters side tho season.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Overplaying his hand in easily the worst side in the comp, Inglis and Slater never have to worry about this because of the quality players around them. I'd love to see how they would go In Parra's team the last 3 seasons while it would be scary thing think what Hayne would have achieved at Manly,Melborune or the Roosters side tho season.

We will never know; unless, you are like Pooman and wish to move him on.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Here is a question: Hayne started First Grade on the wing, and then moved to fullback (I mean full-time). Shortly thereafter, he becomes our only point of attack and has to do everything.

Combined with a terrible side, is it not fair to say that he has done very well to make the mark he has? Would it be a fair call to say that had he been playing for a better team these last few years, that he would be considered much higher than he is now?

End of the day, it doesn't bother me. I know he's a freak. I know he's our captain. And I know I wouldn't swap him for anyone else.

I agree that he has done very well and I think it is likely that he would be viewed more favourably were he in a better team.

lingard

Coach
So you think Hayne will have another year f**ked by injury? I certainly think it's very possible, and I think that due to his history. I also think he will be close to winning another Dally M if he can play 20+ games, and his history informs part of that assessment.

Yes, history tells us that Hayne's season could go either way. But if I look into the future, I am only guessing. I think he will have the best year he's had since '09 (maybe better, because he has matured as a player since then). As you say, history informs my opinion to a certain degree. I think we are both saying the same thing.

lingard

Coach
Actually, Pou Pou; I just went back and looked at your post again and I think I misread it the first time. Sorry. What you said makes perfect sense.

lingard

Coach
You don't know my background.

What is your point? The more games you play the more your stats can vary.

Hayne is a very good footballer who has had injuries over the past two seasons that have reduced his overall effectiveness for his club.

Billy Slater is the best fullback, I have ever seen; and I remember from Langlands onwards. Slater is a superstar.

There is a very good argument for saying that Slater is a better fullback than Hayne. But I've often wondered how effective Slater would be behind the Parramatta halves of the last few years - (think Mortimer, Kelly, Kris Keating, Jeff Robson and Sandow.) Also playing in a losing culture rather than the Melbourne one. Also having coaches of the calibre of Kearney and Stuart. And that's before you even get to our forwards.

lingard

Coach
It goes to the heart if how normal sports fans (not biased fan boys who can't talk objectively about their favourite player) view players.

They are the ones who ultimately determine whether someone is a superstar. At the moment public opinion (including the opinions of experts who watch, commentate and report on the game) has Hayne lower down the list than others.

Sorry if you don't like or agree with this. But this is how it is unfortunately.

Gary, Gary; calm down. If you hate Jarryd Hayne's guts and secretly think of him as a purse-carrying nancy boy, that's okay with me. That's fine. I mean, just because this is a Parramatta supporters' forum shouldn't stop you from voicing your hatred of him. You can bad-mouth him all you like. I know some of us here are really bad, brutal bastards who love nothing better than to smash people with almost no provocation, but we do believe in free speech. So go ahead. Crucify Jarryd all you like.

#Iknowwhereyoulive,youbastard.

lingard

Coach
What has one play got to do with anything? Even Jordan Atkins managed to score 4 tries in a match once.

Jordan Atkins is a superstar. And no one can prove he isn't - because it's all subjective.

(Jake Mullaney isn't a superstar, though - and I can prove that.)

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Gary, Gary; calm down. If you hate Jarryd Hayne's guts and secretly think of him as a purse-carrying nancy boy, that's okay with me. That's fine. I mean, just because this is a Parramatta supporters' forum shouldn't stop you from voicing your hatred of him. You can bad-mouth him all you like. I know some of us here are really bad, brutal bastards who love nothing better than to smash people with almost no provocation, but we do believe in free speech. So go ahead. Crucify Jarryd all you like.

#Iknowwhereyoulive,youbastard.

I haven't actually been crucifying him at all. I happen to think he is a fine player. I just don't happen to whip my wang out when I type anything about him or label anyone who dare suggest that he is anything other than perfect as crazy.

#IHaveMovedHouses

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No you don't. You hate him. But that's okay 'cause we're coming to get you. ................. um ........ I mean, we believe in free speech.

Mate - You couldn't rip the skin of a custard tart.

Me and my mate Magpie will be waiting for you. We will be the ones wearing the 'Hayne is a merkin' shirts.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Mate - You couldn't rip the skin of a custard tart.

Me and my mate Magpie will be waiting for you. We will be the ones wearing the 'Hayne is a merkin' shirts.

You purchase the T-shirts and fly down from Bananaland. I'm in; Parramatta Stadium takes on Gazza and me. The odds are in our favour - Gazza to take Lingard, whilst I give the Suityman the flogging he deserves.