What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Swamp

There is a very good argument for saying that Slater is a better fullback than Hayne. But I've often wondered how effective Slater would be behind the Parramatta halves of the last few years - (think Mortimer, Kelly, Kris Keating, Jeff Robson and Sandow.) Also playing in a losing culture rather than the Melbourne one. Also having coaches of the calibre of Kearney and Stuart. And that's before you even get to our forwards.

i agree its hard to judge them equally when slater has cronk and smith putting tries on a plate for him while jarryd has to do it all himself sometimes

magpie4ever

First Grade
You're saying you've achieved similar things in the game at an elite level to Choppy?

That's exactly the point - Slater played most of the season, and Hayne played like 10 games. And Hayne still produced stats that are comparable to those of Slater.

So you have the best fullback you've ever seen, and then you have a bloke who you say isn't as good, but can produce similar numbers from far fewer games.

No, who made that comment.

Please publish or provide a link to these stats. What do they include?

Many pointless comments without material to back it up, because I have no idea of these said stats that prove one fullback is better than another.

Eelementary, are you making this stuff up?

Eelementary, please provide the stats you indicated show Hayne and Slater are equals.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Have you ever seen him kick a ball? If you can't kick then you can't play in the halves.

He was a stand out in Manly's HM and Sg Ball before being graded. I'm sure he would have played some 5/8.

Don't be surprised if you backline for round 1 goes something like:

sandow - half
hoppa - 5/8
tonga - centre
hayne - centre
morgan/hunt - wing
sio/morgan - wing
norman/hunt - fullback.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I will be flabbergasted if Hopoate ever plays in the halves for us. He is not noted for his passing or kicking, and it would be a waste of his ability to beat a defender one-on-one.

Be flabbergasted than, my man.

Because if I was in Arthur's shoes, I would give it serious consideration.

Pazza

First Grade
He was a stand out in Manly's HM and Sg Ball before being graded. I'm sure he would have played some 5/8.

sandow - half
hoppa - 5/8
tonga - centre
hayne - centre
morgan/hunt - wing
sio/morgan - wing
norman/hunt - fullback.

No chance!

Three of our best playing out of their natural positions, would not be good for the team.

It will be:

1. Hayne
2. Hunt/Sio/Morgan/Radradra/Toutai
3. Hopoate
4. Tonga
6. Norman
7. Sandow/Kelly

magpie4ever

First Grade
No chance!

Three of our best playing out of their natural positions, would not be good for the team.

It will be:

1. Hayne
2. Hunt/Sio/Morgan/Radradra/Toutai
3. Hopoate
4. Tonga
6. Norman
7. Sandow/Kelly

Ok, let's wait and see.

After two wooden spoons in a row, I think a head coach would start to think outside of square. Not worry about stats (LACs or whatever - Local Area Commands, last time I looked - that is for POO).

The backline I listed would be very strong, given Hayne's performance as a centre in the WC and Hoppa being an unbelievable talent.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

sandow - half
hoppa - 5/8
tonga - centre
hayne - centre
morgan/hunt - wing
sio/morgan - wing
norman/hunt - fullback.

Except for the fact that BA has stated on numerous times that Hayne will be playing fullback come Round 1 so there goes that theory. Also Norman came down here to have a chance to play in the halves so he more than likely won't be picked at fullback.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Except for the fact that BA has stated on numerous times that Hayne will be playing fullback come Round 1 so there goes that theory. Also Norman came down here to have a chance to play in the halves so he more than likely won't be picked at fullback.

Just saying and thinking outside of the square; the backline I've post would be strong and talented. Hoppa running off Sandow, Hayne and Tonga running off Hoppa.

Only food for thought.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Just saying and thinking outside of the square; the backline I've post would be strong and talented. Hoppa running off Sandow, Hayne and Tonga running off Hoppa.

Only food for thought.

A 5/8 generally doesn't run off a halfback nowadays seeing as most teams go with a split halves system. imo Hoppa would be better running off Hayne than the other way around as Hayne is noted for delivering a nice pass whereas Hoppa isn't.