What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
when the AFL mob on Offsiders asked where Roy got his figure of $1.2 billion from i'm pretty sure he said he had it in emails from the Fox Sports boss

edit: mentions it at the start here http://www.abc.net.au/sport/offsiders/content/2010/s3477611.htm

Interesting and makes perfect sense.

They can buy back a part of it, but 7 will be paying overs for it.

I'd love to see 10 & 7 say lets go halves in a 1.5 billion dollar bid, sell 9 the Origin at a massive premium (lets say the the 240 million $$ difference) and hold Nine & Foxtel over a barrel for a piece of the NRL rights.

That would be Karmic and somewhat orgasmic for what they've done to the game.

And, as I've said, Kerry Stokes has a looooooooooooooong memory. If anyone doesn't know the story of C7, google it and have a look.

7 are flush with cash. I reckon Stokes would see the opportunity to effectively bury Channel 9 and to signifigantly tarnish Foxtel as worth and extra quarter of a billion over 5 years.

I'd love to see it for the sake of my blood lust for Nein, but then again, you should be careful what you wish for I suppose.

Nah. f**k it. Bury the merkins.

Canucks

Juniors
People keep throwing around $600 million for the 9 share of a Fox-9 simulcast bid.

Seven only paid circa $400m for the AFL

So can that be right?

If we get 1.5 times the money for FTA, and simply match what Fox paid AFL, with online we are on track for $1.4b

Crippler

Juniors
1.2 billion this 1.4 billion that.

Can we work out a more simple number of $$$ per year??

How many years is the AFL deal

There is no use for NRL to gloat of a 1.5 billion deal if it does twice as long as the AFL

Goddo

Bench
People keep throwing around $600 million for the 9 share of a Fox-9 simulcast bid.
Doc, how likely is it that 7 compete directly with 9-Fox rather than simply out bid 9 for the Free to air component and work with Fox?

I know 7 want the lot and then on sell (including internet rights), but surely they will be looking at the size of the 9-Fox initial bid at around $1-1.2B and look to cherry pick what they want? Even if they have the cash, they'd still want to be paying less for the rights if possible.

juro

Bench
1.2 billion this 1.4 billion that.

Can we work out a more simple number of $$$ per year??

How many years is the AFL deal

There is no use for NRL to gloat of a 1.5 billion deal if it does twice as long as the AFL
AFL are on a 5 year deal. We are looking at the same, just starting one year later.

RLNY

Juniors
Goddo, I think you have it backwards. 7 is the one putting up the potential $1-1.2B deal and 9 and Fox are trying to match it. This deal is about a cashed up 7 competing against two broke FTA networks and a pay tv station who needs rugby league in the worst way and fear (rightly) that 7 has the cash to grab the tv rights if it wants to get them. However, I do think there is a limit to what 7 will bid, as they are trying to make a profit. Neverless, I think a $1.2B by 7 is reasonable.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think 1.2-1.4 would be a reasonable bid from 7. They know 9 and fox are desperate and would have pretty much no choice but to pony up the money.

docbrown

Coach
So can that be right?

Maybe, no idea what the Foxtel component might be atm. This is for the simulcasting option, not the stand alone.

I heard pray tell of 4 games on Nine in Years 1 & 2 and 5 games on Nine in Years 3 - 5 if they means much to you.

Billythekid

First Grade
Maybe, no idea what the Foxtel component might be atm. This is for the simulcasting option, not the stand alone.

I heard pray tell of 4 games on Nine in Years 1 & 2 and 5 games on Nine in Years 3 - 5 if they means much to you.

I'm assuming the 5 games in years 3-5 would be to coincide with the admission of 2 new teams and an extra game.

Billythekid

First Grade
That surprises me, so that basically means the NRL will continue to have no FTA presence on Saturday nights (assuming the stuff about a sunday double header comes to pass). I guess fox would be desperate to keep super saturday intact.

bluesbreaker

Bench
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ames-live-to-air/story-e6frexnr-1226332102550

CHANNEL 9 will refuse to switch this weekend's representative games to their digital networks - virtually ending any chance of watching Friday night's Test match between Australia and New Zealand without knowing the result.
"Fair dinkum, it's not good enough," said Garry Jack, who played 20 Tests for Australia.
Footy fans will need to ignore mobile phones, text messages, websites, Twitter and Facebook if they want to watch the Test from Eden Park unaware of the winner.
Blog with Dog: What do you think of Nine's decision to show both games on delay? Have your say from 12:30pm Thursday.
Nine yesterday confirmed the station would telecast both games on delay rather than live coverage on Go! or Gem.
The Test kicks off at 6.15pm Australian time but will not be shown until 7.30pm, with the match all but over by the time it reaches our screens.

Nine will show its News at 6pm, ACA at 6.30pm and The Block at 7pm.
On Sunday, the City-Country game kicks-off in Mudgee at 3pm but won't be telecast until 4pm.
It will be half-time when the coverage begins.
Conversely, Fox Sports will show the Toyota Cup State of Origin game live on Saturday night from Centrebet Stadium.
Most sports throughout the world are shown live but it appears rugby league on free-to-air is being left behind. "Two delayed games on the one representative weekend, c'mon. Fair dinkum, it's not good enough," Jack said.
"Nine are treating the fans with very little respect. How come AFL can show every game live and have done so for a few years now?
"Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
"There is something wrong if the AFL can do it and we can't. Everyone wants to see live footy.
"Aren't the TV rights up next year? Maybe Nine should be seen to promote the game more and show the games live."
Channel 9 spokespeople yesterday were unable to offer a clear answer on the delayed coverage.
NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday weighed into the debate but stopped short of requesting Nine telecast both games live.
"Both the league and Nine recognise the appetite for live footy but there are practical limitations around the time difference with New Zealand for the Friday night game and there's a need to give people the opportunity to be in their lounge room for the game from work," Gallop said.
"In relation to Sunday, the game is in the normal timeslot for Sunday afternoon footy and that was an important part of changing this match to a Sunday game."
TAB Sportsbet spokesman Glenn Munsie said his betting agency would also suffer from delayed games.
"It affects the live component of our betting, most definitely so," Munsie said.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday weighed into the debate but stopped short of requesting Nine telecast both games live.
"Both the league and Nine recognise the appetite for live footy but there are practical limitations around the time difference with New Zealand for the Friday night game and there's a need to give people the opportunity to be in their lounge room for the game from work," Gallop said.
"In relation to Sunday, the game is in the normal timeslot for Sunday afternoon footy and that was an important part of changing this match to a Sunday game."

Typical weak response from our illustrious leader! Some things never change.

They should be showing it live on digital and 7pm on main channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts