What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What does the 8/30k mean? I am guessing Avg 8k peak 30k?

If that's right 30k isn't bad for that time slot on GEM.

What were the Fox figures?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh, ok cheers. So 38k plus whatever on Fox, thanks. Do Fox do a state by state breakdown of viewers?

user_nat

Coach
Oh. Was wondering if they got it more live than us on the east. Because I don't really think of a 1.5 hour delay as being near live :p

Certainly closer to live than what Perth would usually get though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yet more good reason to split the rep games into a seperate package and put more emphasis on International RL again.

wain

Juniors
Hear hear. I remember it being talked about that rlif would be responsible for all new int. tv deals...with all the new talk in the papers, I haven't heard about this lately. Anyone know?

Billythekid

First Grade
Another timely reminder of what we can offer that the AFL never can. This game is just a one off with pretty much no hype around it at all and everyone talking it down as a one sided contest. Yet it will still rate better than any non finals AFL game this year.

Rep footy is one of the NRLs biggest assets and we need to use that as a selling point.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If England/GB can ever put together a competitive team imagine what a 3 match ashes series would be worth. Would equal origin, imagine 6 matches a year drawing that sort of audience! I can't see the 4 nations ever being that big but a reintroduction of the Ashes with a GB team that actually can beat Australia would be massive.

Quidgybo

Bench
If England/GB can ever put together a competitive team imagine what a 3 match ashes series would be worth.
Not nearly as much as a tournament that can be sold on patriotic interest into all three big Rugby League markets instead of just two of them. The big three playing each other in an annual competition guaranteed to go down to the last match should be the backbone of the international calendar. Leaving one of them looking on from the sideline (or relegated to beating up minor nations) would be a massive backward step and cost the game much needed television money currently used for funding the lower levels of the international game.

Leigh.

docbrown

Coach
If England/GB can ever put together a competitive team imagine what a 3 match ashes series would be worth. Would equal origin, imagine 6 matches a year drawing that sort of audience! I can't see the 4 nations ever being that big but a reintroduction of the Ashes with a GB team that actually can beat Australia would be massive.

At the moment they have 1 year out of 4 as a dud year. After a World Cup that's probably the best time to be combined countries for teams so that there's still the current 2 out of 4 years where they play 4-Nations.

I'd like to see the following cycle -

Year 1: World Cup
Year 2: Touring Year
Year 3: 4-Nations
Year 4: 4-Nations

In that year after the World Cup have a 4 team comp -
Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain and Pacific Islands.

In 2014 have it in Australia & New Zealand with GB touring.
In 2018 have it in GB with Australia, New Zealand & PI touring.

Each team plays each other twice (6 games per team) in a 12 game series play over 6 weeks.

Australia vs Great Britain
Australia vs New Zealand
Australia vs New Zealand
Australia vs Pacific Islands
New Zealand vs Great Britain
New Zealand vs Pacific Islands
Pacific Islands vs Great Britain

There should be 6 individual cups on offer

Ashes - Aus vs GB
Baskerville - NZ vs GB
Anzac - Aus vs NZ
and create 3 new cups for the Pacific Islands games

To retain/win the cup you need to win either both matches or win one & draw one.

There are no dud games because there are no dead rubbers - everything is on the line in every single game.

If they want to stretch it by 1 more game, then add a final match between the best 2.

It would be more competitive than 4 nations and the World Cup with bigger matches across the 12/13 games.

juro

Bench
At the moment they have 1 year out of 4 as a dud year. After a World Cup that's probably the best time to be combined countries for teams so that there's still the current 2 out of 4 years where they play 4-Nations.

I'd like to see the following cycle -

Year 1: World Cup
Year 2: Touring Year
Year 3: 4-Nations
Year 4: 4-Nations

In that year after the World Cup have a 4 team comp -
Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain and Pacific Islands.

In 2014 have it in Australia & New Zealand with GB touring.
In 2018 have it in GB with Australia, New Zealand & PI touring.

Each team plays each other twice (6 games per team) in a 12 game series play over 6 weeks.

Australia vs New Zealand
Australia vs New Zealand

There should be 6 individual cups on offer

Ashes - Aus vs GB
Baskerville - NZ vs GB
Anzac - Aus vs NZ
and create 3 new cups for the Pacific Islands games

To retain/win the cup you need to win either both matches or win one & draw one.

There are no dud games because there are no dead rubbers - everything is on the line in every single game.

If they want to stretch it by 1 more game, then add a final match between the best 2.

It would be more competitive than 4 nations and the World Cup with bigger matches across the 12/13 games.
What happens if the French become more competitive?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Can I marry this article up with this one that was posted here the other day by Goddo:

Does this mean Murdoch has got Facebook involved in the TV rights?

That would be groundbreaking... :shock:

My imagination runs sometimes but I think thats kinda what those articles suggest?

and this http://www.afr.com/p/business/marketing_media/ten_plays_smart_with_iptv_deal_emadlZNglpsXmwp7DiCVKJ

Ten plays smart with IPTV deal
Ben Holgate

Ten Network will launch its first internet channel on a smart TV late next month as part of the network’s strategy to create access to its programs across multiple platforms.

Ten has partnered with Sony for a catch-up TV service on the manufacturer’s internet-enabled Bravia television sets and Blu-ray players.

Vincent Dempsey, Ten’s head of digital media, said the network would offer “the vast majority of our domestic shows” and some UK programs such as The Graham Norton Show. Ten was currently talking to its US programming suppliers to obtain distribution rights for smart TVs, he said.

The network anticipates the Sony deal to be the first of multiple smart TV partnerships. “We intend to launch at least one more this year, if not two,” said Mr Dempsey.

He said the network had waited until now to get involved in smart TVs because it was only last year that the increase in sales volumes and decrease in prices had “made it attractive for us”.

Ten has been distributing its programming on mobile phones for 18 months, initially on iPhones and, since November, on Android phones. The network recently passed 1 million mobile apps downloads for its catch-up TV. With combined viewing of catch-up TV across both the network’s website and mobile phones, Ten attracts 1.5 to 2 million unique views per month, Mr Dempsey said.

Sony is witnessing a surge in internet TV viewing given that smart TV prices have fallen and Wi-Fi models have become more affordable.

“As people connect their TV, they’re watching more internet TV,” said Paul Colley, group manager, network services and technology for Sony Australia. Today, one in three Sony smart TVs was being connected to the internet but this was expected to be one in two by the end of the year, he said. “Catch-up TV is a very large proportion of what people are watching on IPTV [internet protocol television].”

Ten is the fourth local network to partner with Sony. The TV manufacturer had the ABC, SBS and Seven on board when it launched its internet TV service in 2010. Now, Sony has 12 local channels among its 29 total channels available in Australia.

Three of the local channels – The Wiggles (children’s), Moshcam (music concerts) and Billabong (action sports) – are also available internationally.

Mr Colley said the “on-demand” element of internet TV was attracting consumers, and that local channels made up about 70 per cent of all internet TV viewing. Catch-up TV represented about half the viewing on local internet TV channels.

Ten is also exploring options with social media. Last week it provided access to the first episode of local drama Offspring on the program’s Facebook page 48 hours before the episode was broadcast on television. “We’re looking at syndication opportunities in general,” said Mr Dempsey.

docbrown

Coach
What happens if the French become more competitive?

Options are:
* Make it a 5 team tournament with 20 games + 1 final over 9 weeks
* Make it a 5 team tournament with 20 games and no final over 8 weeks
* Make it a 5 team tournament with 10 games (only play each other once) + 1 final over 5 weeks
* Leave it as a 4 team tournament but Pacific Islanders & France only play in it when it's in their hemisphere (i.e. every 8 years) - 12 games + 1 final over 7 weeks

I'd rather see things like Ashes etc decided by at least 2 games being played (I mean that's what had to happen when it was a 3 game series anyway).

If France gets to the point of beating a Pacific Islands team given that it would only happen every 4 years, I'd go with a 20 game tournament with no final over 8 weeks.

That's 8 games featuring Australia & 8 games featuring New Zealand in every 4th year.

If you wanted to reduce the length of the end of the year to only 6-7 weeks with just as many games, in that year play some of the matches in the middle of the year where little travel is required.

* GB vs France
* New Zealand vs Pacific Islands
* Australia vs Pacific Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts