What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
am i the only one who found it funny that Rabs talked about the rights yesterday in the Footy and he said something like "no matter which network gets them" ?

previously Rabs had been certain 9 would retain them according to his sources but that piece of commentary didn't seem so sure

I did notice that myself. Nervous days indeed.

forward pass

Coach
Profit after expenses is called gross profit/gross income

Profit after tax is net profit/net income.

Complete non-sense !!!!!!

Income is revenue.

Gross Profit is the profit BEFORE expenses.

Gross Profit less expenses = Net profit.

Net profit less tax = Profit after Tax

Thats is what my Uni taught me anyway !

BDR

First Grade
Well I guess that depends on what the deal and salary cap comes out at.

$1b was $5.1 million a year per club
= $91.8 million for players
= $9 million for additional club grants
= $99.8 million for everything else

$1.2b was $5.9 million
= $106.2 million for players
= $9 million for additional club grants
= $124.8 million for everything else

Surely if they were operating on a $125 million per year budget they could target all the main areas -

* Membership subsidies
* Marketing
* Offset grassroots insurance premiums
* Local grass roots in traditional areas
* Grass roots in non-traditional states
* International grass roots
* Marquee interstate and international player concessions
* Stadium board buyouts through ground improvements
* Property and asset investment
* Corporate hospitality
* Club stabilisation
* Future funds

etc

This post alone does more to excite me about the future of rugby league than anything I've seen in the past decade.

Swamp

Juniors
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...ts-of-about-10pc/story-fna1k39o-1226342118599

Seven cuts newsroom costs by about 10pc

THE Seven Network newsroom has been hit by cost cuts of about 10 per cent and there are fears the budget knife will cut even closer to the bone following last week's surprise profit warning by owner Seven West Media.

Seven News has already conceded first place to a resurgent Nine News in the key markets of Sydney and Melbourne, and sources say savings of about 10 per cent were ordered by management even before last week's profit downgrade....................................
Should this be of some concern for 7 to step up the negotiations?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd hope that a $1bill deal will see more than a $5.1million club grant. Grants need to be around $6.5mill and salary cap around $6mill IMO.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'd hope that a $1bill deal will see more than a $5.1million club grant. Grants need to be around $6.5mill and salary cap around $6mill IMO.

But you do want the salary cap increasing each year. I think starting at $5.1 mil and rising to $6mil over the 5 years should be fine, especially considering that all clubs get a $1mil bonus really if the whole salary cap is funded. This then also allows the NRL to put some money away to assist in funding other areas of the game that require it, as well as a rainy day fund that the game should always have at it's disposal.

docbrown

Coach
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...ts-of-about-10pc/story-fna1k39o-1226342118599

Seven cuts newsroom costs by about 10pc

Should this be of some concern for 7 to step up the negotiations?

Not suggesting you're saying this at all - it's moreso a general observation so anybody should correct me if I'm mistaken - but I seem to recall alot of pundits - AFL zealots mostly - claiming that the Channel 10 cost cutting was 100% definitive proof that they had no money or desire to purchase the NRL rights...

How did that turn out again? ;-)

One way to help that in Sydney would be to have a great lead in show before the Sunday news. Say maybe, an NRL game?

El D might have this as I know he's a regular AFR reader but I seem to recall Stokes publically stating something along the lines of 'we need to break 9's dominance of Sunday news in Sydney'

If only there was a programme that could help them achieve that...
:cool:

Edwahu

Bench
There is a much more negative view on the potential rights value in the SMH today

Chris Barrett said:
Estimations of the total return rugby league will get from its next media deal have been as high as $1.2 billion, but there is a growing sentiment from bidders that the final figure will not be that lucrative despite a Federal Court appeal panel ruling last week protecting the ARLC's right to sell living streaming.

The initial Nine and Fox Sports bids this week are not expected to reach the $1 billion mark, with bidders increasingly mindful of over-spending in a tough climate.

Ten, the third-ranked broadcaster, confirmed a 70.1 per cent dip in half-year profit last month, and at Seven West Media a profit downgrade last week has been followed by reports of a 10 per cent cut in costs in the Seven Network newsroom.

There is also a growing perception that the successful bidders for the AFL rights deal, Seven, Foxtel and Telstra, overpaid in dishing out $1.25 billion over five years for that broadcast agreement.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rights-deal-20120430-1xv66.html#ixzz1tXNVgqFe

docbrown

Coach
There is a much more negative view on the potential rights value in the SMH today

Well I'm not even sure where to begin with this one.

That said I do question the source of the negativity - and if any of you want to challenge the logic of this feel free - but chiefly the source of that negativity being the networks crying poor and citing a tough climate.

Is there a particular reason why the networks would want to cry poor?

Is there a particular reason why the networks would want to drive the price down during the bid?

As for this scoop -

sources say that Fox Sports' final bid for pay-television rights will be reduced if they are not allowed to retain their schedule of exclusivity
Stop the presses!

Honestly, this one's scraping the bottom of the barrel.

God knows how long ago I said this - if I searched the forum hard enough I could find it - but I'm actually hoping 9 & Fox put in pissweak opening bids.

I dare them. No wait, I double dare them. :lol:

Last edited:

RLNY

Juniors
Is that 9&Fox bid mentioned in the SMH article for F&L rights or for the simulcast option?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts