What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletus

First Grade
They weren't making it up. Obviously I despise 9. They're the worst network to work for and they seem to be steering the Titanic straight into the iceberg and asking for 'ramming speed'!

I agree with the others. 9 will have a dummy spit if/when they lose the rights and they will piss all over the NRL when that happens.

Again one simple question has not been answered - why isn't the exemption date all year like the AFL's? 9 are purposefully asking for it on a month by month basis rather than a full year basis.

Nine are going to dump NRL in Gem as soon as they lose the rights for next year. Then they'll make up some shit about Conroy not approving the exemption.

docbrown

Coach
Doc, we all know that the ratings on Gem in the southern states and the west aren't great (but keep in mind the lack of promotion and irregular telecasts), but do you know how it rates compared the "usual" guff that Nine would likely to be showing on Gem in place of the footy? Or indeed Mate or Seven2? Surely the footy would rate at least as good if not better than the alternate programming, but with zero "cost" because the telecast has already been produced for the eastern states.

Like you, it appears to me that it is a very deliberate ploy by Nine, and hopefully one that is going to back fire on them.

In Melbourne it rates comparatively well to previous programming. Adelaide & Perth will pick up in time, in fact the recent Adelaide numbers are quite encouraging.

The whole 'it doesn't rate' thing is nonsense. You actually have to pay to repeat an episode of some stupid sitcom from the 1970s. 9 have already paid for those rights from the NRL, they've just refused it.

Out of the next deal, regardless of who gets, we have to ensure that Storm & Reds games are shown on the Main Channel but all other games are shown on the digital channel (so if its on 9, then when it's a Storm & Reds game out of their 4 slots, if its on 10 then any slot).

Nine are going to dump NRL in Gem as soon as they lose the rights for next year. Then they'll make up some shit about Conroy not approving the exemption.

I just want someone with tenacity to get them to go on the record and promise that they won't so that when they do it they can be exposed for the liars they are.

This isn't just an NRL issue - it's 9's attitude to its viewers in general.

Billythekid

First Grade
As long as we make sure that whoever gets the rights will show the games in the southern states who cares? I mean it sucks for Melbourne viewers this year but it's only one more year after ages of this sh*t.

Gippsy

Bench
This isn't just an NRL issue - it's 9's attitude to its viewers in general.

It's an inherited arrogant attitude they've had for years, from the Packer days.

I can recall Kerry Packer being asked by a journalist to comment on criticism of their Sunday game only showing approx 60 minutes of actual footy. The arrogant turd simply said "when you own a tv station you can show whatever you want" or words to that effect.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Its repeated several times throughout the week.

The only thing thats missing i would like is a highlights package, perhaps they could pick up boots'n'all

Hull v Leeds is live as well early sunday.

whall15

Coach
Another thing forgotten is that an NRL game would have better demographics than a 40s movie.

Billythekid

First Grade
Another thing forgotten is that an NRL game would have better demographics than a 40s movie.

Not to mention that with the NRL you are growing an audience instead of trying to appeal to a quickly diminishing one.

Edit: Not to mention the fact that they are already paying for the NRL rights anyway. So not only are they choosing to show something else they are paying extra money to do so.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Not to mention that with the NRL you are growing an audience instead of trying to appeal to a quickly diminishing one.

Edit: Not to mention the fact that they are already paying for the NRL rights anyway. So not only are they choosing to show something else they are paying extra money to do so.

A big chunk of 9's youth demo comes from the NRL halo.

Take the NRL away and the 9 demo shifts to about 55+

So maybe they should stick to those black and white movies. :cool:

nrlnrl

First Grade
Everyone who's been following the tv rights thread knew this was coming. With it becoming almost a certainty ( others will surely include it in their bids if Ch9's fails ), are you happy to have this as part of the deal ( weighing up the pros & cons ) ?
I've included the link purely as a reference point

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...hes-for-more-ads/story-e6freuy9-1226347259953

Nine's audacious bid to stop NRL matches for more ads
Phil Rothfield The Daily Telegraph May 05, 2012 12:00AM

CHANNEL 9 has launched a $1billion bid to retain NRL TV rights but with a catch _ time-outs during games for commercial breaks, and live Thursday night football.

The radical proposal is part of a joint bid by Nine and Fox Sports that heralds the most significant changes to TV sport since Kerry Packer launched night cricket and reduced eight-ball overs to six, specifically to sell extra advertising.

The Daily Telegraph understands the deal would allow Nine to raise an extra $35 million in annual revenue by showing up to 12 commercials during a game, twice as many as they currently offer their advertisers.

Nine boss David Gyngell and network CEO Jeff Browne will deliver their bid to the NRL's independent commission on Monday. It includes:

*INCREASING the overall time of a game from 90 to 95 minutes;

*HALF-TIME extended from 12 to 14 minutes to play more commercials;

*30-SECOND breaks for sideline scrum stoppages;

*30-SECOND breaks for line drop-outs;

*30-SECOND breaks between try conversions and restarts; and

*AT LEAST four games a season to be played on Thursday nights.

Nine's Sunday match may be broadcast live with a 4pm start, meaning at least seven of the eight games each round would be shown live.

Nine and the NRL have been working together for several months to maximise revenue without ruining the free-flowing nature of the game.

State of Origin coach Ricky Stuart, former coaches Daniel Anderson and John Lang and former players Wayne Pearce and Trent Barrett were part of a committee that agreed on areas for stopping play. Stoppages have been aimed at times when play is held up anyway.

"It takes an average 35 seconds for sideline restarts, 25 seconds for line drop-outs and 23 seconds for try restarts,'' NRL director of football Nathan McGuirk said.

"So we're not going to be radically slowing down the game with these changes.''

NRL chief executive David Gallop was reluctant to comment about finer details of talks with Nine's management.
"It's not appropriate to discuss details of our negotiations with the broadcasters,'' Mr Gallop said.

"We are looking at ways to maximise value for broadcasters with ad breaks at appropriate times while maintaining the continuity and physical nature of the game.''

The addition of six 30-second commercials is the only way Nine believes it can make a return from its vastly increased $1 billion rights contract without slugging advertisers.

Nine currently charges $50,000 for 30-second commercials on the top-rating Friday night football games, making $300,000 during live play.

Under the new deal, that would double to $600,000, on top of pre-game, half-time and post-game ad-breaks.

Taking into account Origin and finals, the breaks in play could deliver Nine an extra $40 million a year in advertising.

Edwahu

Bench
The fact that the NRL has worked directly with Nine on the plan does not auger well for anyone else getting a look in. Still, if they can get 1 billion before adding in Sky and Internet rights, I would say the NRL would be happy to take it.

docbrown

Coach
Pro - the ad changes aren't extreme as they could have been (McGuirk's extreme scenario was about double that)

Pro - if the $ figure attached is accurate then the lower end target will be achieved as a minimum

Con - means 9 are going in strong on first bid to try and prevent the auction - looks around $550 million mark

Con - if we don't get an auction the NRL will find it harder to put in coverage clauses for minimum cost impact

Vague on - simulcasting, first bid F2A game timeslots, mobile and internets rights on Telstra/FS end

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
No mention of any simulcasting games

Nine would hate that I reckon

If we get lumbered with 4 pm delays on nine for the next 5 years it will be laughable

Dogs Of War

Coach
Out of the next deal, regardless of who gets, we have to ensure that Storm & Reds games are shown on the Main Channel but all other games are shown on the digital channel (so if its on 9, then when it's a Storm & Reds game out of their 4 slots, if its on 10 then any slot).

I don't agree with the changing channels part for Storm/Reds games. I would just prefer more hype advertising wise on where to watch the game. You want people to get used to flicking over to GEM to watch the matches that don't involve those clubs each week.

LESStar58

Referee
My kids went to a game at Etihad on the weekend & it cost them $2.80 to get in.

That's one thing I've never been able to get my head around; how cheap AFL tickets are!

I think when the dust settles on the TV deal the next stop for the IC should be re-evaluating admission prices for club games. How the AFL can afford let kids in for two bucks but the NRL is still about eleven or twelve for a kids ticket is baffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts