What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
No no no channel nein

I want every game live in HD as a bare minimum, piss any delayed broadcasts right off please

Ron Swanson

Juniors
Great article today in The Australian by a journo who actually writes about media for a living and knows his shit.

7 and 10 ain't bidding. The overstating of RL's value by Roy Masters and this forum needed to be shot down.

Cletus

First Grade
Great article today in The Australian by a journo who actually writes about media for a living and knows his shit.

7 and 10 ain't bidding. The overstating of RL's value by Roy Masters and this forum needed to be shot down.

Did you actually read the article? It said 7 might put in a bid at 120% on Nines to get rid of the first and last rights. And they might have to combine with Ten. So I don't know why you think it says they won't bid.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee

piss off troll and keep you shit at the raah.

moron :roll:

No no no channel nein

I want every game live in HD as a bare minimum, piss any delayed broadcasts right off please

HD would be great, but live telecast has to be the absolute priority. The only exception should be the delayed Friday night game. This should also achieve a Saturday afternoon game, which would appease alot of people. I just hope that if a Saturday arvo game is brought in, people support it and attend games because in the past it was an adject failure for attendances.

El Diablo

Post Whore

bullshit

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...ghts-goal-of-1bn/story-fna045gd-1226347238874

Picture turns fuzzy for ARL's broadcast rights goal of $1bn

by: Simon Canning
May 05, 2012 12:00AM

THE ARL Commission is hopeful of a billion-dollar-plus payday when it settles the next round of TV rights negotiations, but a series of factors that have emerged recently could cruel its chances of securing a deal similar to the $1.253 billion agreement struck by the AFL last year.

Club executives are hopeful the new deal will provide a cash windfall for the code, allowing for a higher salary cap and better funding for the clubs that are struggling financially.

Current rights holders the Nine Network, Foxtel and digital rights holder Telstra have until the close of business on Monday to submit their bids for the free-to-air, subscription and digital broadcast rights to rugby league.

It emerged last night that Nine wants greater control of the on-field action as part of its new bid.

Should it hold on to the rights, it will pressure the game's administrators into accepting a raft of changes including timeouts for commercial breaks and live Thursday night football. According to The Daily Telegraph, Nine hopes to wedge twice as many commercials into its live coverage, increasing the overall time of a game from 90 to 95 minutes.

There would by 30-second breaks for scrum stoppages, line dropouts and after tries are scored.

NRL officials last night said there would hardly be a difference to the stoppages in play for TV as there are now under regular play.

At least four games a year would be played on a Thursday night and Nine would also hope to shift Sunday games back an hour so they can be shown live at 4pm.

Nine has a first-and-last rights bid option, but the new ARL Commission is likely to test the market and open the bidding for Ten and Seven.

However, a successful bid by either network will prove problematic on several levels, some of which have only just emerged. Two weeks ago, Seven, which has dominated ratings and advertising revenue share for the past three years, shocked the market with a profit downgrade, warning that advertising revenue had slumped and looked unlikely to recover in the short term - even as the network boasted the nation's highest-rating TV programs.

But the financial challenges for the network also extend to the spiralling cost of content, in particular the high costs of local productions mandated by Australian content laws.

Such cost pressures may limit Seven's ability to bid for the rights, although industry insiders suspect the network would not be unwilling to make a large ambit offer that would force Nine - heavily reliant on rugby league, in particular the State of Origin series - to pay more than it was willing. Nine loses last bidding rights if the highest offer is 120 per cent greater than its first offer.

Seven is also challenged by the potential for conflicts with its existing AFL contract that might force it to split the rights with Ten, as it did under the previous AFL contract.

AFL conflicts have already caused discord with the V8 Supercars on Seven, with the V8s forced to Seven's digital channel on a number of occasions, an issue that would certainly be central to any discussions between Seven and the NRL.

The Ten Network faces a different set of problems. Having abandoned any hopes of retaining a slice of the AFL last year, the network is believed to be keen on having a tilt at Seven's V8 Supercars rights.

Ron Swanson

Juniors
Financial problems = not bidding.

People that think Seven is a bottomless pit of money because they're doing so much better than their rivals clearly don't understand how business works.

El Diablo

Post Whore
9 have bigger financial problems you idiot

aee they bidding?

yes

clearly you're a troll. a very stupid one too

Ron Swanson

Juniors
Again, you clearly don't understand how business works. Just because your competitors are f**ked up doesn't mean you make financially stupid decisions. Keep your own finances in order, don't worry about anyone else's. Wouldn't expect someone with 58,000 posts on a forum to understand that though.

If being a realist makes me a troll, then I'm a troll.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
What's the raah?

Sorry for being a realist and accepting our game isn't worth as much as we think it is.

Why are there so many fumbleballers suddenly interested in our tv rights and why are they too gutless to admit they aren't RL fans but are followers of other codes?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Again, you clearly don't understand how business works. Just because your competitors are f**ked up doesn't mean you make financially stupid decisions. Keep your own finances in order, don't worry about anyone else's. Wouldn't expect someone with 58,000 posts on a forum to understand that though.

If being a realist makes me a troll, then I'm a troll.

lol

you wouldn't know shit from clay

9 have massive problems and yet they can bid

7 don't and you claim they can't

you're a troll alright

Ron Swanson

Juniors
Why are there so many fumbleballers suddenly interested in our tv rights and why are they too gutless to admit they aren't RL fans but are followers of other codes?

My diehard Broncos support + 1 x Origin 3 ticket sitting in my possession tells a different story.

I don't like AFL, although I have a soft spot for the Suns because I enjoy seeing one of Qld's great athletes in cutie excelling at another sport.

Reds fan as well though. You see, you're actually allowed to watch more than one sport in the real world.

El Diablo

Post Whore
lol

all the other trolls started off pretending to Ron

you're no different

you're just stupider

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's one thing I've never been able to get my head around; how cheap AFL tickets are!

I think when the dust settles on the TV deal the next stop for the IC should be re-evaluating admission prices for club games. How the AFL can afford let kids in for two bucks but the NRL is still about eleven or twelve for a kids ticket is baffling.

you can do that when you earn double the income and have centralised stadium deals in your favour.

Flapper

First Grade
My diehard Broncos support + 1 x Origin 3 ticket sitting in my possession tells a different story.

I don't like AFL, although I have a soft spot for the Suns because I enjoy seeing one of Qld's great athletes in cutie excelling at another sport.

Reds fan as well though. You see, you're actually allowed to watch more than one sport in the real world.

I don't recall anyone saying otherwise, although the " if you don't like AFL or Union you must only like one sport" chestnut is favoured by AFL/Union trolls.

And you're not being a realist, you're deliberately distorting the article. Just point out why 7 and their finances will lead them to not bid but 9 can bid despite being in worse financial shape than 7 and we can all move on.

RLNY

Juniors
Let me see here, I have heard rumors for a few months that 7 was going to buy the rights to all the games and then onsell them to other networks. Will a profit downgrade really affect their plans? My guess is probably not.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The changes suggested by 9 don't seem too bad, I actually think a longer HT is better for fans at the game so they can get to the bar/toilet/food and back without missing the start of the 2nd half.

The thing that annoys me is we are looking still likely to get $250mill less than AFL despite our product being worth more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts