What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletus

First Grade
Have wondered what the structure of that side of things was. Who is that outsource matches in NZ to Sky Sports. Even when Channel 9 show games from NZ they take the Sky Sports vision. Dare say cheaper than sending a crew over there.

I don't know to be honest. I think the NRL sold the overseas rights seperately, but it wouldn't shock me if Foxtel are onselling it. It shouldn't matter though and should be worth around $15 million a year.

taipan

Referee
Financial problems = not bidding.

People that think Seven is a bottomless pit of money because they're doing so much better than their rivals clearly don't understand how business works.

A load of crapola. 7 want origin for starters and 10 need high ratings content.Suggesting either and NRL and V8s.
if 7 had the rights for AFL in the south and rugby league in the north,they would be maximising income.:roll:
You wouldnt have a clue about trading yoursélf out of debt for the likes of 9.
You can almost smell the fear by some of the feeblers,the thought of rugby league being able to flash the cash,gives them a nervous twitch..

taipan

Referee
The main thing is - they have to be willing to do it. I disagree that profit downgrades will play a major part in this. As others have stated, that's the main reason to be spending up to secure a long term ratings guarantee like the NRL or AFL.

9 & Foxtel - against what all idiotic critics have suggested - appear to be putting in a strong first bid - this should immediately discredit the profit downgrade conspiracy.

This more than anything else will be what affects 7 & 10's ability to respond.

That said $1 billion+ opener probably isn't enough to stop 10 or 7 based on numbers doing the traps, which is what I've said for some time. They can push it beyond that but it probably won't get to a blind auction under that scenario.

Whether or not 7 or 10 can win reacting to a $1b opener remains to be seen. Adding $100 million on to that may not be enough to stop 9 reacting in kind.

I'm at the point where I feel comfortable saying that all the rights (Aus & Nz for F2A, TV & Internet) will be over $1 billion minimum. How much more than that remains to be seen.

But your mate the Cattery (who predicted the Global Financial Crisis ,the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire))argues he's 99% confident it wont reach $1bn
95% confident it wont reach $900m.:crazy::lol:

I am 100% confident the guy,should start his own media consultancy business: Dial A D*ckhead.

Are we safe Doc to say $1bn is the reality starting point wise, now?

docbrown

Coach
But your mate the Cattery (who predicted the Global Financial Crisis ,the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire))argues he's 99% confident it wont reach $1bn
95% confident it wont reach $900m.:crazy::lol:

I am 100% confident the guy,should start his own media consultancy business: Dial A D*ckhead.

Are we safe Doc to say $1bn is the reality starting point wise, now?

Taipan, there's no need to insult me - Cattery is definitely not my mate! :lol:

Re $1bn, it's looking that way - as a minimum.

The real part - bargaining $$$ against better coverage will come up fairly fast. All that plays into the competitive tension part - who will offer the best terms beyond dollars.

I wonder what their excuses will be after the deal is done. Even if we do match the AFL's deal they will start ranting on about other income sources. Perhaps we should compile a list of their nonsense.

* Regionals don't matter/exist
* AFL games go for 3 hours
* The TV networks are more interest in crowds than ratings
* The networks are so poor they're uninterested in buying programmes that can generate ad revenue
etc

Edwahu

Bench
Taipan, there's no need to insult me - Cattery is definitely not my mate! :lol:

Re $1bn, it's looking that way - as a minimum.

The real part - bargaining $$$ against better coverage will come up fairly fast. All that plays into the competitive tension part - who will offer the best terms beyond dollars.

I wonder what their excuses will be after the deal is done. Even if we do match the AFL's deal they will start ranting on about other income sources. Perhaps we should compile a list of their nonsense.

* Regionals don't matter/exist
* AFL games go for 3 hours
* The TV networks are more interest in crowds than ratings
* The networks are so poor they're uninterested in buying programmes that can generate ad revenue
etc

They will want to measure it on dollars per game, and include the toyota cup in the numbers.

Ron Swanson

Juniors
Did you actually read the article,or are you directing another one pointer to keep the scoreboard ticking over.
No wonder you guys need an extra two sticks to show up your lack of skills ,now it appears to be the case in newspaper articles.
Nowhere does it state 7 and 10 will not be bidding. :oops:

Yep, you got me. I'm wasting my time on a RL forum as I'm secretly a spy working for Andrew Demetriou. I was hired for this role due to my past involvement working for News Limited in the other great LU conspiracy: News Limited secretly trying to take down the game from within.

Brutus

Referee
Yep, you got me. I'm wasting my time on a RL forum as I'm secretly a spy working for Andrew Demetriou. I was hired for this role due to my past involvement working for News Limited in the other great LU conspiracy: News Limited secretly trying to take down the game from within.

You've got NL written all over you actually.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ok found the break down of the AFL deal. One massive leap for them was in contra, up from just $30 mill in last deal to $135mill this deal! That is a lot of adevertising, what else does contra pay for?

AFL 5 year deal 2012-2017 Total $1.253billion
$1,118,000,000 Cash ( up $369,000,000 cash on last deal)
$135,000,000 Contra

Cash amounts:
Ch7 $475,000,000
Fox $600,000,000
Telstra $153,000,000

For anyone interested in how they are going to use the funding to strengthen the top clubs this is interesting
http://mm.afl.com.au/portals/0/2011/finals/club_funding_presentation_260911.pdf

docbrown

Coach
ok found the break down of the AFL deal. One massive leap for them was in contra, up from just $30 mill in last deal to $135mill this deal!

The AFL had a goal of $1.2 billion - same as the NRL.

Negotiations were stuck because 7 refused to budge on simulcasting. Foxtel offered Foxfooty (essentially nothing but a brand name), AFL then put pressure on 7 who put pressure on Telstra and in turn the final tally was reached by a major boost in contra, internet and (for that stage in negotiation) 7's fees.

If 7 hadn't ante upped AFL would be simulcast on 9 with potentially 2 or so games farmed out to either 7 or 10.

taipan

Referee

Write in the same vein as Bekky Wilson,so you may be on to something.

unforgiven

Bench
Doc, with the exclusive negoiating period ending on Monday for 9 and Fox, how much longer do you think the negoiations will take, or is it still too early to know an answer to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts