What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
amazing how AFL nutters from Perth are experts on all things in NSW and Queensland lol

Syneysider: hey RL is on deaths door and AFL is taking over Sydney and Brisbane
Brisbanite: how do you know?
Sydneysider: some guy from Perth posted it on Big Faggy
Brisbanite: shit! we're f**ked!

Last edited:

Canucks

Juniors

It's so funny.... If it rated 2.5million total metro+regional they would be all over it saying League is on the decline, but league gets 3.9m and it doesnt matter because it's overhyped....

When I lived down there they would actually ask, when finding out I'm from Sydney, 'so you must be stoked the Swans are doing well'

'No Cnt I'm not, I hope their team plane crashes into your kids fking school'

docbrown

Coach
amazing how AFL nutters from Perth are experts on all things in NSW and Queensland lol

Syneysider: hey RL is on deaths door and AFL is taking over Sydney and Brisbane
Brisbanite: how do you know?
Sydneysider: some guy from Perth posted it on Big Faggy
Brisbanit: shit' we're f**ked

Okay now they're trying to bag out the ratings by whinging about Adelaide.

State of Origin I in Adelaide would actually be very close to the same market share in Adelaide as last year's feeble grandfinal pulled in Sydney - roughly about 6% just looking at the two.

If he's calling the Adelaide number shit then he's also calling the AFL's Grand Final numbers shit. :lol:

docbrown

Coach
It's so funny.... If it rated 2.5million total metro+regional they would be all over it saying League is on the decline, but league gets 3.9m and it doesnt matter because it's overhyped....

When I lived down there they would actually ask, when finding out I'm from Sydney, 'so you must be stoked the Swans are doing well'

'No Cnt I'm not, I hope their team plane crashes into your kids fking school'

I've just had a quick glance at some of their recent posts - they're rambling on about Auskick ffs as if it has something to do with the NRL broadcast deal. :lol:

They're zealots.

Flapper

First Grade
Ray Hadley before the midday news said "Rugby league is wasting its time in melbourne" He said this after reading out the Melbourne Origin ratings.

I wonder if Ray also thinks that the afl is wasting its time in Sydney. How many afl games rate 313k in sydney apart from the gf?

I've emailed that boneheaded prick about this shit before, but he never corrects himself, and once even abused me for my troubles.

The biggest NRL rating game in Melb last year was twice the size of the highest AFL audience in Sydney, if we're wasting our time, the AFL must be wasting a lot more of it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great audience numbers, disappointed we didn't crack 100k in perth but plenty of WA RL fans would have been at pubs and clubs at 5.30pm or like me watching it on Fox so as not to have to put up with Ch9's delayed ad fest.

ARLC would have to have rocks in its head not to be offering SOO as a stand alone package.

user_nat

Coach
TVTonight has the pay numbers from last night up.

I'm not sure what time period the subscription TV numbers cover, but it's not in the top 20 (sub 44k).

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.asp...780&title=origin-game-one-sets-ratings-record

Origin Game One sets ratings record
24/05/2012 1:28:47 PM

Harvey Norman State of Origin has broken another record with the opening match in Melbourne last night the most watched in Origin history, attracting a national average audience of 3.957 million viewers.

Across the five capital cities, a record 2.515 million average viewers tuned in as the XXXX Queensland Maroons secured a thrilling 18-10 win against the NSW VB Blues at Etihad Stadium.

Across Regional Australia, the match was also the highest rated Origin match ever, with an average audience of 1.442million.

The national, five capital city and regional figures are the highest for any Origin match since the OzTAM ratings began in 2001.

The match is also the highest rating sports broadcast of 2012, attracting over 1.2 million more viewers than the second highest ranking sports broadcast (combined metro & regional).

“It was an enthralling match to open the series and the ratings show just how much Harvey Norman State of Origin means to people across the country,” ARL Commission Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop said today.

“It has set the stage for an exciting second game at ANZ Stadium.”

MATCH AVERAGE:
Sydney: 1,153,000
Brisbane: 908,000
Melbourne: 317,000
Adelaide: 57,000
Perth: 80,000
Regional: 1,442,000

MATCH PEAK:

Sydney: 1,257,000
Brisbane: 982,000
Melbourne: 423,000
Adelaide: 87,000
Perth: 94,000
Regional: 1,674,000

*Regional Includes: Regional NSW, Regional Queensland, Regional Victoria & Tasmania

beave

Coach
original.jpg

El Diablo

Post Whore
League also has another big win in the 16-39 demo http://www.throng.com.au/2012/05/record-viewers-for-state-of-origin/

In Sydney, 1.153 million viewers watched the clash on Nine, with a peak of 1.257 million. Sydney saw a huge free-to-air audience share last night with Total People (51.9%), 25-54s (53.6%), 18-49s (57.4%) and 16-39s (58.6%) switching on to Nine.

In Brisbane, an audience of 908,000 watched their home team draw first blood in the 2012 series, making it the highest rating State of Origin match for Brisbane under OzTAM, with a peak of 982,000. Channel Nine in Brisbane had a massive

FTA share last night with Total People (57.4%), 25-54s (60.0%), 18-49s (63.2%) and 16-39s (64.1%).

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nrl.com/origin-to-remain-on-wednesday-night/tabid/10874/newsid/67638/default.aspx

ARLC locks in Rep schedule

NRL.com Thu, May 24, 2012 - 4:05 PM

The Australian Rugby League Commission has made a number of determinations regarding the structure of the 2013 season while also confirming that this year’s Test between the VB Kangaroos and the Kiwis will be played on October 13 in Townsville.

In confirming the Test venue, the Commission gave on-going support to a mid-season Test between the two nations in the context of a ‘stand-alone’ representative weekend that included City v Country.

At its meeting today at the offices of the Melbourne Storm, the ARL Commission has also determined that it will retain Wednesday night State of Origin matches.

There will be a further concentration of byes before and after Origin matches to minimise the impact on clubs while the Commission has also committed to working with the New South Wales and Queensland camps to invest in additional measures to assist player recovery.

In reaching its decision today, the Commission reviewed independent medical analysis of recovery times for athletes that included an injury database assessment of injuries incurred during and immediately after recent Origin matches.

“The success of the Harvey Norman State of Origin Series in its current format speaks for itself over a number of years”, said ARLC Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop.

“Today’s Commission meeting examined a detailed analysis of recovery times and the effect of the Origin series on the overall season structure.

“The flow-on effects of stand-alone Origins across the entire year are such that they are not a practical alternative but the addition of a representative weekend, which worked well in 2012, and of further adjustments to the byes will address a number of issues that have been raised in the past.

“The Commission has also given approval today to explore the opportunities around an increased number of Thursday night Telstra Premiership telecasts.

“This would not be on the basis of establishing a regular fixed time-slot but on the basis of establishing specific scheduling opportunities.”

Another key decision from today’s meeting was the confirmation of the appointment of corporate advisors Greenhill Caliburn to assist in television broadcast negotiations.

Initial offers from the existing rights-holders Nine and Fox Sports have already been received and negotiations have commenced with the Seven and Ten networks.

“It is a complex and critical negotiation for the game’s future and we have always flagged that we would engage additional resources where appropriate,” Mr Gallop said.

“Greenhill Caliburn have an outstanding corporate reputation and are skilled negotiators across a diverse range of business opportunities.

“We believe they can add considerable experience as we look to achieve a great return for the game.”

The decision to hold the October 13 Australia v New Zealand Test in Townsville this year will give North Queensland its first Trans-Tasman encounter as the Four Nations champions take on the reigning World Cup champions.

It reflects the success of ongoing partnerships between Rugby League and Events Queensland that have seen the All Stars, Test matches and a World Cup Final played in the ‘Sunshine State’, where Queenslanders have shown great support for international Rugby League

North Queensland has hosted three Tests between Australia and PNG in Townsville in 1992, 2000 and 2008 (World Cup) as well as a World Cup play-off match in Rockhampton in 2008.

The 2012 Test – which will kick-off at 6.30pm – is supported by the Queensland Government through Events Qld and Townsville Enterprise Limited.

“There is great support for Rugby League in North Queensland and the decision to take the only Australian-based Test of 2012 to Townsville is recognition of that support,” Mr Gallop said.

“With the World Cup in the UK only a year away there will be a real focus on the October Test this year.”

Minister for Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and Commonwealth Games Jann Stuckey said the event was a tremendous coup for Townsville which would shine a national and international sporting spotlight on the region with television coverage throughout Australia and New Zealand.

“This event is part of the government’s determined strategy to establish Queensland as Australia’s leading tourism and major event destination,” Ms Stuckey said.

“More than 20,000 people are expected to attend this match – more than 40 per cent will be visitors from outside Townsville.

“That will deliver an estimated economic boost of almost $3.5 million to Townsville and more than 19,000 visitor nights supporting tourism and local jobs.”

Townsville Enterprise CEO, Mr David Kippin, said today’s announcement to host the Test match in Townsville was significant for the region.

“This international event will confirm Townsville’s established reputation as a thriving and successful events destination,” Mr Kippin said.

“It also enables the wider Region to take advantage of the flow-on opportunities for the leisure tourism market.”

El Diablo

Post Whore
Another key decision from today’s meeting was the confirmation of the appointment of corporate advisors Greenhill Caliburn to assist in television broadcast negotiations.

Initial offers from the existing rights-holders Nine and Fox Sports have already been received and negotiations have commenced with the Seven and Ten networks.

“It is a complex and critical negotiation for the game’s future and we have always flagged that we would engage additional resources where appropriate,” Mr Gallop said.

“Greenhill Caliburn have an outstanding corporate reputation and are skilled negotiators across a diverse range of business opportunities.

“We believe they can add considerable experience as we look to achieve a great return for the game.”

Graham Samuel works for them

http://www.greenhillcaliburn.com/directorDetails.asp?ModuleID=2&PageFlag=1&RowId=27

Status
Not open for further replies.