What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks

Juniors
Question - How many minutes on average per game is the ball in play? Not including walking to scrums and lining up conversions etc, but actual play? If I remember its something like 55 minutes of actual game time.

Watching the NHL today with their 3 periods of 20 mins with the clock stopped for everything, I think the NRL could follow that system. I think game is too short for quarters, but 3 x 20 minute periods could work. So if a try is scored at 5:21 in the first half, there is a conversion and the ball is kicked off at 5:21. The game would run the same amount of time except you would have the equivilant of 2 half time breaks. I think quarters would disrupt the flow too much but 2 breaks could work.

Drink breaks arent long enough, but at least you could pump in ads and it would give ppl a chance to go to the bar more than once.

El Diablo

Post Whore
they had quarters for the Roosters v Cowboys game in Darwin because of the heat

no one cared. can't see it being a problem if introduced

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Question - How many minutes on average per game is the ball in play? Not including walking to scrums and lining up conversions etc, but actual play? If I remember its something like 55 minutes of actual game time.

Watching the NHL today with their 3 periods of 20 mins with the clock stopped for everything, I think the NRL could follow that system. I think game is too short for quarters, but 3 x 20 minute periods could work. So if a try is scored at 5:21 in the first half, there is a conversion and the ball is kicked off at 5:21. The game would run the same amount of time except you would have the equivilant of 2 half time breaks. I think quarters would disrupt the flow too much but 2 breaks could work.

Drink breaks arent long enough, but at least you could pump in ads and it would give ppl a chance to go to the bar more than once.

Go Kings Go!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I hope whoever gets the rights, spends more time talking about the actual game, than talking about Celebrity Apprentice, the Voice and Tommy Lee Jones chasing Aliens.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We have 1/4 breaks for the Feb trial games in Perth and works fine when at the game. As long as they are only 3-4mins max. Time to dash to the loo or beer tent mid half without missing too much if you time it right.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope whoever gets the rights, spends more time talking about the actual game, than talking about Celebrity Apprentice, the Voice and Tommy Lee Jones chasing Aliens.

That Tommy Lee Jones "discussion" was just embarrasing, I often wonder what non RL fans must think when they tune in to see what our game is about. It is that exciting that the commentators are spending 5 mins listing TL Jones films!

docbrown

Coach

Watching the NHL today with their 3 periods of 20 mins with the clock stopped for everything, I think the NRL could follow that system. I think game is too short for quarters, but 3 x 20 minute periods could work.

The problem is though that players and coaches will exploit the stop clock rule to maximise rest periods.

Did you see that fight in the Phoenix game the other day? It was borderline WWF.

The game needs to strike a balance between maintaining tempo and maximising existing overlooked opportunities.

Canucks

Juniors
The problem is though that players and coaches will exploit the stop clock rule to maximise rest periods.

Did you see that fight in the Phoenix game the other day? It was borderline WWF.

The game needs to strike a balance between maintaining tempo and maximising existing overlooked opportunities.

Google Rangers Devils brawl, best one this year

I agree coaches could look to take advantage of stopped time, but they take advantage of a running clock too... walking to scrums, conversions where they reset the ball a few times.... Stopping the clock still gives you the same length game without slowdown tactics....

Billythekid

First Grade
I dare say that the massive break between TC and the NRL game worries people a lot more than a small break at quarter time.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
That tommy lee shit was embarrassing.

But I did laugh a fair bit throughout it

Its hard to find the balance, I dont like the homogenized afl style comentry

They just need one color guy, not 2

nyx

Juniors
Yes but have you activated your Fly Buys card yet???

whall15

Coach
I'm quite disappointed that The Voice is doing so well for Nine I was hoping that it would fail so they go broke

age.s

First Grade
I'm quite disappointed that The Voice is doing so well for Nine I was hoping that it would fail so they go broke

It's rubbish. Pretty soon the judges hitting that button to see the singer gimmick will wear off and it will be just another rubbish Aus Idol remake.

At least I hope so.

firechild

First Grade
No doubt that's what it will be. This whole "it's all about the voice because the judges can't see the singer" BS only lasts until about 50 people are selected and then it's just Popstars/Australian Idol/Australia's Got Talent or any number of other reality talent show. Count down the days before it gets shafted to GEM to go and die like the B grade celebrity fat people show.

Status
Not open for further replies.