What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
Okay from 7's perspective (obviously can't graph but it's a simple 2x2 CBA box arrangement) -

7 Wins The Rights -

Pro: 9, 10 & Foxtel go into competition against each other to get the scraps, 7 keeps the top shelf for itself, makes money from the second network auction. They can also set up a better simulcast deal with Foxtel then what they have with the AFL - in other words they can do a Wally Lewis and dictate terms.

Pro: they split the halo & steal part of 9's F2A ad base, grow their youth base

Con: they may be left with all the rights if the other networks don't want to bid - BUT - that auction would be a totally blind auction so that scenario is highly unlikely. All 3 parties would be left guessing as to what the others would be doing. Ask yourself - what are the consequences for each if they fail to get even part of the NRL package.

Con: temporary share price adjustment but they're big enough to cover it in the short term

7 Don't Win The Rights -

Pro: but by driving up the price they force 9 & 10 out of other programming (not just sports, but overall network

Pro: may kill off F&LR for 2018 auction

No cons, status quo obviously

Feel free to add more pro and cons if you feel I've missed any but they're the main ones in my opinion.

hack

Some of the reasons above are exactly what make the NRL rights so valuable. The NRL brings guaranteed viewer numbers who will also tend to stick around and watch whatever else is on the channel. 9 has lived off rugby league for years. Struggling, debt loaded networks need this - how much content is there that will bring a guaranteed number of viewers year after year? It's a safer bet than cooking up some new reality show that people will tire of after a couple of years.

doesnt mean shit if the ad market is flat, and live FTA rugby league broadcasts have few opportunities to even air ads. ratings is one thing. capitalising on this to sell and air as much of the a network's revenue generating activity to make the investment worthwhile is another.

don't forget, the rights are just one aspect of the cost to the networks. there is also production costs, talent costs, etc. if the rights are $1b over 5 years, the total cost of rugby league broadcasts are even more than this when the rest is added on.

They need the ability to air more ads to make it worth their while.

twistedbydesign

Juniors
Mate I reckon the second scenario is the most likely - much as everyone would love to see it 9 are very unlikely to give up what they have, though 7 will hang around long enough to make sure they earn it, and will go particularly hard at Origin.

I think where it will get contentious is with Saturday and Monday - would be very surprised if Fox are able to keep their current exclusivity of these days.

Canard

Immortal
This is like playing a game of who farted?

Unless your involved, you really have no f**king idea.

taste2taste

Juniors
Its pretty simple, the AFL get more $ because there's more places to put commercials. Quarter breaks, plus a 1 minute stoppage after goals, plus 3 1/2 hours of game time.

If the NRL wants to get any where near 1Billion its going to have to be played in quarters and allow 1 min of averts after tries.

and guess what

everyone on these boards will be whinging

"theres too many adds"

docbrown

Coach
Its pretty simple, the AFL get more $ because there's more places to put commercials. Quarter breaks, plus a 1 minute stoppage after goals, plus 3 1/2 hours of game time.

If the NRL wants to get any where near 1Billion its going to have to be played in quarters and allow 1 min of averts after tries.

and guess what

everyone on these boards will be whinging

"theres too many adds"

If this were the sole deciding factor then the NRL annual ad revenue wouldn't be 80% of the AFL's.

Ad dollars in NSW & QLD are worth more than the VIC, SA & WA.

Canard

Immortal
The AFL trolls are suddenly all over LU today.

Sport shouldn't have to compromise the formula that made is so desirable in the first place though.

Soccer is 45mins halves with NO ad breaks on PAY TV in UK now, why doesn't it play quarters etc. Because it doesn't need too.

There many other options for advertising other than having a break in play.

dogslife

Coach
$100 Billion

thumb.php

taste2taste

Juniors
The AFL trolls are suddenly all over LU today.

Sport shouldn't have to compromise the formula that made is so desirable in the first place though.

Soccer is 45mins halves with NO ad breaks on PAY TV in UK now, why doesn't it play quarters etc. Because it doesn't need too.

There many other options for advertising other than having a break in play.

^^^Really like what???...besides those annoying pop ups.

Soccor is not a good example of how to run a sport for maximum $ it is stuck in the past...this is a sport that rufuses to use video ref technology! they could make millions & millions more if they allowed ad breaks during play.

Rugby Leage (and soccor) is the only sport on the planet that isnt played in quarters!

Like it or not...from season 2013 there will be a hell of a lot more ad breaks....so get used to it!

DMS

Juniors
I think that the just over a billion.....be lucky to get 1.1 i reckon, hopefully 10 and 7 combine together that would be a handsome bid.....

hack

so that's it is it? anyone challenging assumptions or displaying some degree of cynicism toward the reported $1b broadcast figure the NRL will attain is instantly a troll?

the whole point of a forum is to discuss issues and put forward opinions, even if they might not be popular. it doesn't mean anyone commentating in this way is instantly a troll, but it's this sort of shit, as well as degrading insults that some genuine rugby league supporters have to put up with on these boards.

we all agree NRL rates it tits off. the objective is maximising the revenue generating capabilities of the product for broadcasters, yet balancing this by maintaining what makes the game successful. as it currently stands, one or two 30-sec ads in 40mins of netwiork broadcasting thrown in inconsistently after an extended injury or other unscheduled delay of game makes it difficult for a FTA network to generate a reliable return on the investment for the outlay they will be asked to pony up to get them this time around.

Canard

Immortal
Rugby Leage (and soccor) is the only sport on the planet that isnt played in quarters!

Gee AFL fans have such good general knowledge of other sports.

The only sports hey? What about:

Ice Hockey
Field Hockey
Rugby Union
Cricket

Also how f**king geniused can you be to no be able to spell Soccer??

And your Pet sport only adopted video technology it in 2012, League has had it since 1997!

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
so that's it is it? anyone challenging assumptions or displaying some degree of cynicism toward the reported $1b broadcast figure the NRL will attain is instantly a troll?

the whole point of a forum is to discuss issues and put forward opinions, even if they might not be popular. it doesn't mean anyone commentating in this way is instantly a troll, but it's this sort of shit, as well as degrading insults that some genuine rugby league supporters have to put up with on these boards.

we all agree NRL rates it tits off. the objective is maximising the revenue generating capabilities of the product for broadcasters, yet balancing this by maintaining what makes the game successful. as it currently stands, one or two 30-sec ads in 40mins of netwiork broadcasting thrown in inconsistently after an extended injury or other unscheduled delay of game makes it difficult for a FTA network to generate a reliable return on the investment for the outlay they will be asked to pony up to get them this time around.

You pop up out of nowhere to post in this thread.

You are a troll.

f**k off.

taste2taste

Juniors
Gee AFL fans have such good general knowledge of other sports.

The only sports hey? What about:

Ice Hockey
Field Hockey
Rugby Union
Cricket

Also how f**king geniused can you be to no be able to spell Soccer??

And your Pet sport only adopted video technology it in 2012, League has had it since 1997!

NHL is played in 3 periods
Field Hockey, i believe is played in quarters? not sure as no one really cares about it
Rugby Union you are correct, although they do have alot more stoppages for ads.
Do i really need to reply to cricket?..it has 100 overs bowled, 4 drink breaks, a 40min change of innings and played over 8 hours...thats roughly 106 commercial breaks!

fyi, i have never watched an entire AFL game in my life, NRL is my religion im just stating facts..Rugby League will never earn as much as AFL because there isnt the same amount of advertising opportunities. Thanks for picking up my misspelling of soccor i'll be sure to use spell check next time.

Canard

Immortal
But League and Soccor are the only sports in the WORLD not played in quarters!!!

So who do you support mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts