What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
well why would i have an idea what we will get :?

if they expand to WA and Bribane II then $1 billion. that total includes internet rights just like the AFL's does

Brutus

Referee
fmd

why do we have the most paranoid supporters on the planet :crazy:

f**kin hell El D, RL supporters have every right to be questioning every decision that goes on.

I thought you of all people would be aware of this.

Brutus

Referee
I hope Roy IS off his rocker.

At least by writing and saying what he has about Foxtel potentially paying unders again, it has been put to everyone's attention.

Are there people on here super-confident that Foxtel will pay the game what it's worth?

This new "she'll be right mate" attitude is interesting.

bluesbreaker

Bench
well why would i have an idea what we will get :?

if they expand to WA and Bribane II then $1 billion. that total includes internet rights just like the AFL's does

I'm not asking you as a professional media expert, which you most certainly aren't. Merely your opinion on what you think we deserve. We nearly got that without a caveat too ;-).

How about worst-case scenario.

If there are no official announcements saying 'expansion will take place in 13/14/15/16' when it comes time to negotiate...

How much do you think we should get?

Edit: We'll throw in Internet rights as well too.

El Diablo

Post Whore

At least by writing and saying what he has about Foxtel potentially paying unders again, it has been put to everyone's attention.

Are there people on here super-confident that Foxtel will pay the game what it's worth?

he has nothing

he said on radio that it was all just his opinion

didn't you listen to him on radio?

El Diablo

Post Whore
I'm not asking you as a professional media expert, which you most certainly aren't. Merely your opinion on what you think we deserve. We nearly got that without a caveat too ;-).

How about worst-case scenario.

If there are no official announcements saying 'expansion will take place in 13/14/15/16' when it comes time to negotiate...

How much do you think we should get?

Edit: We'll throw in Internet rights as well too.

$900 million

Brutus

Referee
he has nothing

he said on radio that it was all just his opinion

didn't you listen to him on radio?

I had to go and pick my kid up while the interview was on, but I've got it recorded.

I for one am extremely grateful for Roy because he is the only one asking any questions on a consistent basis. Whether his predictions are bullshit or not, I think he is doing the GAME a great service by keeping the bastards honest.

We've got crucial TV negotiations coming up, possible expansion to attend to, but all this commission bickering is just stuffing things up.

And to make matters worse friggin Graham Annesley was just seen punching an AFL ball to Vlad on the TV. What the f**k is going on???

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Didn't Roy get egg on his face over his predictions about what the AFL would get?

There has to be somebody asking the hard questions about News in the game otherwise they would get away with more than they do now.

I don't understand how News could be allowed to have the Williamson bloke on the IC given he has (still is?) on their payroll.

BDGS

Bench
He may have been well off in his prediction on the AFL, but he is a league man and is bound to have more accurate details of the league rights.

Why?

Because you are too paranoid to believe the opposite?

It's not a "she'll be right mate" attitude, although that would be understandable considering the country we are in, its confidence in the IC members.

BDGS

Bench
I'd be happy with 900 million including the two expansion teams, that would put the NRL on par with the AFL. IMO

BDGS

Bench
I've followed the game closely over the last 16 years to know not to believe the opposite.

Are you even 16?

You have only followed the game for 16 years? Poor effort.

But instead of thinking that the new leadership is going to be like the old one, how about you access the new leaders and their abilities. Each one are at the top of their fields and we have a Media buyer on the IC. He won't let the broadcasters screw the game, he's reputation is on the line, future job security and much more.

But how about we forget all of that, and the fact that he will also be surrounded by 7 others at the top of their field and lets just think we will get screwed again, perhaps you would like to suggest that we should bend over to make it easier? :crazy:

Brutus

Referee
You have only followed the game for 16 years? Poor effort.

Do you have any idea why I used 16 years?? Know what happened 16 years ago or 1995 to be precise??

You would also know that our game has been used as a pawn ever since.

Brutus

Referee
Way to miss the issue. :roll:

I get your issue, I'm just not as convinced on the truly independent part as you are.

Some of us have watched News LTD operate over the last 16 (yes 16 years) and it hasn't been pretty.

BDGS

Bench
I get your issue, I'm just not as convinced on the truly independent part as you are.

Some of us have watched News LTD operate over the last 16 (yes 16 years) and it hasn't been pretty.

Some of us have been watching the game long before 1995 as well.

even if 3 news duds get on the IC, it will mean that they will have more to prove. If they don't do their jobs there is 5 other commissioners with the power to fire them.

docbrown

Coach
Re: the TV rights deal, the IC will do just like the AFL and create a sub-committee. Ian Elliott would spearhead it along with the LEK reps.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Brutus that dude is an AFL troll. It's as plain as the nose on your face (it is the nose on your face Bill, it's a problem).

But Brutus is dead right, this 'she'll be right' attitude is exactly what got us f**k all in the last deal. Again, we were all trumpeting the virtues of our game last time around and we still got f**ked over.

Having more networks wanting to bid on the deal this time means diddly squat if/when the NRL accept the first deal tabled to them. AS THEY DID LAST TIME.

Somehow, people around here equate 'being paranoid' with 'remembering what happened last time'.

Status
Not open for further replies.