What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

babyg

Juniors
Im fairly confident

The AFL got a massive deal out of Foxtel without any more competitive tension than the threat of giving them the absolute dregs.

We can threaten to take away Saturday exclusivity, Monday nights... threaten to cut their league content to the worst 3 games each week and let them estimate how many subscribers they will lose.

I tend to think we could do the same

I hope you are right. Lets just hope the IC actually negociate strongly.

bluesbreaker

Bench
:roll: Not once have I said that there was a "bidding war" last time around. I said the other networks expressed interest in bidding on portions of our game, but they were denied this opportunity by the NRL accepting the first bid that came their way.

Whether it was early or late is completely irrelevant.

AFL Troll
Alright then, where is your proof the NRL will accept the first deal this time?

Show us, go on.

The best Indicator of future behavior is ...?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Im fairly confident

The AFL got a massive deal out of Foxtel without any more competitive tension than the threat of giving them the absolute dregs.

We can threaten to take away Saturday exclusivity, Monday nights... threaten to cut their league content to the worst 3 games each week and let them estimate how many subscribers they will lose.

I tend to think we could do the same

I like this thinking, but will the IC or the CEO have the kahunas to really do it.

Fox could say if you dont like it see you later, they know no FTA will show every game of NRL live.

Channel 7 I beleive came out and said they would show 9 games of AFL a week if Fox didnt come to party.

Perth Red

Post Whore
question remains does the NRL IC have the bollards to stare them down? Somehow I doubt it. Our only hope of a $1bill is if two FTA channels are serious and Fox HAVE to pay true value to keep their major footage. If Ch10 and 9 both put in serious bids for 4-5 games each then Fox would have to dip into its pockets. If only one FTA is interested in 2-3 games then Fox have no motivation for paying much more than they do now. Remember to get the AFL $'s they forked out for EVERY game, most live. What more will we offer Fox than we can offer them at the moment?

seanoff

Juniors
got to hope the NRL deal is good. the AFL players were offered and knocked back $1.1B over 5 yrs. They wanted $1.3B supposedly.

if it comes out at $1.2B, the AFL salary cap become $13.3M per team / yr.

The NRL really need to get $900M next up both from a ratings pov and to try and combat the AFL.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
AFL 13.3 M v NRL 4.3 M

I know there is more players in AFL, but f**k me how to we compete with this.

We need to get this up to $6-7 M at least $200k average wage.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Not all that money goes to the salary cap, that money includes retirement funds, injury payouts etc...

Yeah .. I think their cap will rise from 7 Mill to 9 mill per club .. not 13.3

the NRL's is going to go from 4.3Mill 7 Mill

the NRL's is a far bigger increase as a % of where the 2 are currently

Raiderdave

First Grade
question remains does the NRL IC have the bollards to stare them down? Somehow I doubt it. Our only hope of a $1bill is if two FTA channels are serious and Fox HAVE to pay true value to keep their major footage. If Ch10 and 9 both put in serious bids for 4-5 games each then Fox would have to dip into its pockets. If only one FTA is interested in 2-3 games then Fox have no motivation for paying much more than they do now. Remember to get the AFL $'s they forked out for EVERY game, most live. What more will we offer Fox than we can offer them at the moment?[/QUOTE]

I can tell you now

if Fox trumped 9's first & last rights offer ( only need a 20% increase )
I mean go into partnership with say 10 in a deal where all 8 or 9 NRL games are nearly all live ... same as the AFL's deal

then they'd fork out .. some where near the 650 mill they did for the AFL
the FTA network would pay somewhere around 250 to 300 Mill for the 3 games they'd cover simulcast with Fox + Finals .. & this FTA station gets the Grand Final exclusively ... at 7pm on a sunday night
( will rate its tits off)

if 10 doesn't want 3 games they can sell one to 7
9 has made it clear they won't simulcast with Fox .. so they can F off

then 9 & 7 & 10 can fight it out for Origin .. the tests .. all stars game etc
adding another 150 Mill

& we're done
:cool:;-)

Edwahu

Bench
If Nine wont simulcast with Foxtel then we better offer Nine the opportunity to pick up Saturday & Monday nights. Foxtel absolutely have to keep those slots.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I can't see Nine agreeing to anything where they aren't the sole transmitter of their games.

That said the NRL should only be accepting FTA bids where the games are shown live around the country.

Last edited:

seanoff

Juniors
Yeah .. I think their cap will rise from 7 Mill to 9 mill per club .. not 13.3

the NRL's is going to go from 4.3Mill 7 Mill

the NRL's is a far bigger increase as a % of where the 2 are currently

ummm the AFL salary cap is already 8.2M + the discount for vets + 600K in marketing + finals match payments + share of prize money. ie last yr Collingwood paid their players $10.7M, St Kilda $11.5M. most clubs would already be out around $9M.

can't see the players agreeing to that small a pay rise given the $$$ involved.

NrlCoach

Juniors
Fanatic origins

ONE of my teenage sons has a superstition that he will not leave the house without an item of Broncos or Queensland paraphernalia on his body. He is, of course, the willing victim of a brainwashing campaign which has been going on since both of my sons were not old enough to make up their own minds on such matters. They were both born and bred in Sydney. No matter. They are fanatical Queenslanders who, much to my delight, turn feral at Origin time. This is a result of having an insane mother and verging-on-redneck Queensland relatives who fall into depression if the Maroons do not win an Origin match. After more than 30 years of Origin footy, it would be easy to become complacent about its place on the "northern" sporting calendar. Yet this concept, born out of desperation by the Queenslanders to level up the playing field, remains the number one sporting event of every year for most sports lovers in either state. It would be fair to say that Wednesday night's match is, in fact, the most important in Origin's rich three decade history. There are kids wandering around in Blues jerseys who can only take their parents' word that their side has ever won a series. After six years of miserable losses and demoralising series victories, the Blues have a chance to find a whole new generation of fans and have a shot at emulating the dynasty that has become Queensland rugby league's team.

This is a seminal moment in rugby league. The seemingly unbeatable Queensland side, indefatigable and full of thoroughbreds, looked last year like they might keep winning for another decade. Pages and pages have been written in recent weeks about the Blues' resurgence and the courage of this young side as it has levelled up the playing field. They are likely to go into the match as slight favourites, even though the game is being played at Suncorp Stadium in front of more than 50,000 Queenslanders. The great Darren Lockyer will play his last game in maroon, providing another reason to put this game in bold type in any rugby league history book. Above all, though, the game will give NRL boss David Gallop the leverage to do a huge television deal for his sport. While those too close to the game's nuances and foibles argue the halting formation of the NRL commission is more important than anything else, it is rugby league's growing stranglehold on television audiences that will set the game up for the next 20 years.

Gallop is about to start negotiating for the game's new television deal. Much has been said to downplay the value of league in the toughest football marketplace in the world. While AFL boss Andrew Demetriou will talk his game up in spite of dwindling and ageing audiences, Gallop is a far more cautious type. He is unwilling to puff up his chest and is nervous about the backlash if he tells the nation's television heavies just how big his game is becoming. The facts are there, though, and they are compelling.

A senior sports marketing expert, whose research is used by every major sport in Australia, says her private figures reveal league is the fastest growing of any football code in every demographic. It is the only sport that is attracting a new, young audience to its ranks. AFL has some serious concerns, unable to attract the same numbers of new fans under 20. Monday night's Fox Sports match between Manly and St George was the biggest rating football game on pay-TV this year. One senior television rights expert told me privately this week that league is at least of equal value to the AFL, and climbing. He believes the television networks are deliberately talking it down because they are worried they cannot afford what it is genuinely worth, having paid too much for the AFL.

Gallop is in a similar position, afraid to big note the game because those television types are trying to spook him and push the price down. Wednesday night will tell the story. Already, the first two games have attracted record audiences across the country. No single AFL game has come close to it this year and even the AFL grand final is set to be out-rated by league's big game in September. The Origin product, as marketing types now like to call it, could be a game changer for Gallop and the code. It does not need to be gift wrapped. It is there in its rawness and emotion for the world to see. All Gallop has to do is hold his nerve and add a zero to the first offer. As any State of Origin player will tell him, only the brave and the gutsy will win the biggest prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.