What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDGS

Bench
Brutus that dude is an AFL troll. It's as plain as the nose on your face (it is the nose on your face Bill, it's a problem).

But Brutus is dead right, this 'she'll be right' attitude is exactly what got us f**k all in the last deal. Again, we were all trumpeting the virtues of our game last time around and we still got f**ked over.

Having more networks wanting to bid on the deal this time means diddly squat if/when the NRL accept the first deal tabled to them. AS THEY DID LAST TIME.

Somehow, people around here equate 'being paranoid' with 'remembering what happened last time'.

Alright then, where is your proof the NRL will accept the first deal this time?

Show us, go on.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Brutus that dude is an AFL troll. It's as plain as the nose on your face (it is the nose on your face Bill, it's a problem).

But Brutus is dead right, this 'she'll be right' attitude is exactly what got us f**k all in the last deal. Again, we were all trumpeting the virtues of our game last time around and we still got f**ked over.

Having more networks wanting to bid on the deal this time means diddly squat if/when the NRL accept the first deal tabled to them. AS THEY DID LAST TIME.

Somehow, people around here equate 'being paranoid' with 'remembering what happened last time'.

there was no biiding war last time

the NRL signed a new deal with 9 before the rights expired

it would be like if the NRL did a deal with 9 THIS year

El Diablo

Post Whore
so basically a contract extension Diab???

i suppose

this article is from July 2005 http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2005/07/01/1405200.htm

NRL secures $500m rights deal

Posted July 1, 2005 18:00:00
Updated July 1, 2005 20:19:00

A new television rights deal struck by the National Rugby League (NRL) may reduce Channel Nine's ability to make a competitive bid for the AFL rights.

The NRL's deal with Nine and Fox Sports is worth $500 million over six years and represents a 60 per cent annual increase on the exisiting arrangements.

The agreement, which includes two games on free-to-air television on Friday nights and the return of Monday night football, runs until the end of 2012.

NRL chief executive David Gallop says the deal is a big vote of confidence in rugby league.

"Obviously [we're] very excited about being able to secure such a fantastic deal for the game's future," he said.

"Our existing agreements expire at the end of 2006 and 2007 but in negotiating an early renewal we have ensured financial growth both in the short and long-term."

Channel Nine's Lynton Taylor says possible AFL time-spots were considered when the NRL deal was negotiated.

"We believe that our relationship with the NRL and the slots we've agreed is such that we'll be able to meet any requirements of the AFL if we were fortunate to end up with those rights," he said.

The station's executive director, Sam Chisholm, said the renewal continued a long-standing partnership.

"The contract will see Nine complete 21 consecutive seasons of broadcasting the premiership and continues a State of Origin tradition that dates back to 1983," he said in a statement released by the NRL.

"Nine and rugby league have together set new standards for sporting broadcasts and we will continue to do so in the years ahead.

"An extra free to air game each week from 2007 and the addition of the Gold Coast should significantly increase network exposure for Queensland teams and indeed the opportunities for Melbourne."

Fox Sports chief executive David Malone said its contract renewal confirmed rugby league's popularity on pay television.

"Monday night football will be an extremely exciting opportunity for the code and a great opportunity to further expose the code on a national basis," he said in a statement released by the NRL.

"Since 2001 Fox Sports has turned Saturday into something super for sports fans at home while promoting the games in a way that has also seen attendances rise.

"In securing the rights until 2012 we are convinced we can generate the same enthusiasm around Monday night from 2007.

"Monday night is a timeslot that has proven a success the world over."

Among the key components of the deal:

A 50 per cent increase in free to air matches with the introduction of a Friday night double header on the Nine Network;

At least one live Friday night broadcast each week;

Live Monday night football nationally on Fox Sports;

Commitment to maintain Fox Sports 'Super Saturday' format;

Advance scheduling of matches for up to 11 weeks during the year with 17 rounds scheduled at six weeks or more;

A 25-round Premiership with each club receiving one 'bye';

A 65 per cent increase in the game's direct television income;

Revenue to begin increasing from 2007 (before the termination of existing contracts).;

An increased commitment to the promotion of Test matches;

A guarantee of live grand final coverage in Melbourne with a commitment to work with the NRL to improve scheduling of major events in Victoria and other states.

Noa

First Grade
I dont mind Roy voicing this line of opinion about Fox and what they'll pay. Theoretically it should make the NRL exec more diligent in there negotiations....hopefully.

Parra

Referee
When it comes to pay tv Foxtel has no competitor. There is no 'market rate'.

Would make more sense for the premier sporting bodies in Australia to band together and purchase their own FTA tv station than to rely on money from the one pay tv operator.

Where would foxtel be without local sport?

Perth Red

Post Whore
No expansion = $750-800mill
Expansion and a fair dinkum process plus splitting packages and forcing Telstra to pay what it should be = $1bill

docbrown

Coach
No expansion = $750-800mill
Expansion and a fair dinkum process plus splitting packages and forcing Telstra to pay what it should be = $1bill

There are at least two other companies that will put Telstra under the pump.

Our internet rights are worth at least $15-$20 million a year. But if an internet carrier were to gain full rights for internet television knocking out Foxtel, they'd be worth upwards of $90 million a season.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
There are at least two other companies that will put Telstra under the pump.

Our internet rights are worth at least $15-$20 million a year. But if an internet carrier were to gain full rights for internet television knocking out Foxtel, they'd be worth upwards of $90 million a season.

I think it is too early for that this deal but I can see the 2018 media deal feature internet TV heavily and can see the NBN playing a huge part in the way we watch sport in the future. Hopefully they don;t do anything stupid this deal in terms of tying up internet rights longer than need be.

docbrown

Coach
I think it is too early for that this deal but I can see the 2018 media deal feature internet TV heavily and can see the NBN playing a huge part in the way we watch sport in the future. Hopefully they don;t do anything stupid this deal in terms of tying up internet rights longer than need be.

I believe there are two companies who are in preparation to go head to head with Telstra for this current negotiations. There may be one more in the mix if it spills over into next year.

The goal is not to necessarily gain all the rights for this deal. The goal is to gain the internet/mobile rights in order to build their subscriber base so that after the next deal they can purchase all their subscription rights in their entirety. Telstra will have a fight on their hands and I can't see it settling for less than $75 million over 5 years for those smaller rights.

It certainly won't be $0, not if Ian Elliott has anything to do with it.

Edit: I might add for clarity's sake, that I wouldn't put it past these companies to sign a backended rights deal for years 3-5 of the contract as well.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
I should clarify what I mean further.

It is well within the realm of possibility that these media companies could bid for the entire subscription package and then negotiate with Foxtel to carry their feed for the interim until their network is finished. At which time their backend would start and they'd go into a sharing arrangement with Fox.

There's existing precedents for this both in Australia and overseas.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Roy Masters in his latest article has said that Fox has hinted they would not be paying big money for RL.

Given Foxtel's recent murmuring about how little it plans to give rugby league, it may be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than an NRL player to become rich, let alone enter the gates of heaven.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ets-a-camel-20110628-1gp8r.html#ixzz1QfiprP2d

Does anyone have a source for this murmuring.

If Foxtel try and f**k over the game that built their product, there will be dishes and boxes on the roads through out NSW

BDGS

Bench
I thought we already covered that? And found out that it's only in the opinion of Roy they won't pay big money for league. Roy has seemed to lost the plot though, he was so far off the latest sporting TV deal it wasn't funny.

bobmar28

Bench
Wait 5 years, tell news ltd to get f**ked.

Or do it "now", let them pick our CEO, 2 of the 8 commissioners and extend their 'first and last' rights to our product until 2027...

Does first and last rights mean that they can accept the first bid put in by Foxtel/Channel 9 like last time, and it won't go to tender at all? This is my biggest fear and fretting about it seems fair enough.

I don't give a f**k what "industry insiders" said about AFL or NRL or professional precision carrot chopping for that matter. But if I look into the recent history of our game, it's not hard to come to the conclusion that we're on the road to getting f**ked again.

You must be the glass half full type. The rights will be negotiated by the ARL commission who are people who know what they are doing. All networks want a piece of the action so the bidding will be fierce I'm sure.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Roy Masters in his latest article has said that Fox has hinted they would not be paying big money for RL.

Given Foxtel's recent murmuring about how little it plans to give rugby league, it may be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than an NRL player to become rich, let alone enter the gates of heaven.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ets-a-camel-20110628-1gp8r.html#ixzz1QfiprP2d

Does anyone have a source for this murmuring.

If Foxtel try and f**k over the game that built their product, there will be dishes and boxes on the roads through out NSW

if you read back in this thread you would have seen the answer

there is no source. Roy was on radio yesterday stating it was just his opinion. he had no sources

he's lost the plot

Ray Mosters

Juniors
I hope Roy IS off his rocker.

At least by writing and saying what he has about Foxtel potentially paying unders again, it has been put to everyone's attention.

Are there people on here super-confident that Foxtel will pay the game what it's worth?

This new "she'll be right mate" attitude is interesting.
Im fairly confident

The AFL got a massive deal out of Foxtel without any more competitive tension than the threat of giving them the absolute dregs.

We can threaten to take away Saturday exclusivity, Monday nights... threaten to cut their league content to the worst 3 games each week and let them estimate how many subscribers they will lose.

I tend to think we could do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.