What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Well if Gallop is scared he should F*** Off and let someone who is willing to do the hard yards for our game do the negotiating.

I am sick of league getting screwed whilst the AFL gets an easy ride. Time to tell the networks what WE want not bow down to them.

bobmar28

Bench
ummm the AFL salary cap is already 8.2M + the discount for vets + 600K in marketing + finals match payments + share of prize money. ie last yr Collingwood paid their players $10.7M, St Kilda $11.5M. most clubs would already be out around $9M.

can't see the players agreeing to that small a pay rise given the $$$ involved.

If the salary cap is 8.2 million how can a club pay their players 11.5 million?

duylm

Juniors
If the salary cap is 8.2 million how can a club pay their players 11.5 million?

It's a soft cap that doesn't include prize money and allocated rookies. They don't need to enforce a hard cap like us because theirs works in conjunction with a draft. its pretty hard to find details, but from what I can gather, the cap covers 38 squad players, then each club has maybe 6 rookies? The suns get 9.1 mill and even more rookies than that. The general consensus is that their expansion clubs get parachuted into a few premierships.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
One week Bec's kids are massive Swans fans, then Tahs fans now they wont leave the house without a broncos scarf on...

Was goog to see a positive story from her though

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...withdraw-for-greater-good-20110701-1guyq.html

Despite the problems plaguing the formation of the Independent Commission, Marsden believes the game is in good shape and he predicted the new television rights agreement would be worth more than AFL's recent $1.2 billion deal.

''I still believe it is the greatest game and I am confident that this commission and the administration will ultimately get it right,'' he said. ''It is clear that the tv stations have a recognition of the importance of rugby league … properly negotiated, the next deal … will be significantly better than the AFL deal … the main reason it will be is because of the recognition of its popularity.''

Raiderdave

First Grade
ummm the AFL salary cap is already 8.2M + the discount for vets + 600K in marketing + finals match payments + share of prize money. ie last yr Collingwood paid their players $10.7M, St Kilda $11.5M. most clubs would already be out around $9M.

can't see the players agreeing to that small a pay rise given the $$$ involved.

7.6 million is the floor according to this with the additions added to this .. not after it

The salary cap, known officially as Total Player Payments, is A$8,212,500 for the 2011 season with a salary floor of $7,596,562.50 (except for the Gold Coast expansion team, whose salary cap will be A$9,212,500 with a salary floor of A$8,596,562.50).[

TheRam

Coach
As I have stated all along. The NRL should get more then the AFL. So now that we know that the AFL are getting $B1.2, then we should be going for no less then $B1.5+. NOTHING LESS!!!

Other wise no matter what the spin doctors have to say, we have been dudded.

docbrown

Coach
A senior sports marketing expert, whose research is used by every major sport in Australia, says her private figures reveal league is the fastest growing of any football code in every demographic. It is the only sport that is attracting a new, young audience to its ranks. AFL has some serious concerns, unable to attract the same numbers of new fans under 20.

Monday night's Fox Sports match between Manly and St George was the biggest rating football game on pay-TV this year. One senior television rights expert told me privately this week that league is at least of equal value to the AFL, and climbing. He believes the television networks are deliberately talking it down because they are worried they cannot afford what it is genuinely worth, having paid too much for the AFL.

Although I am no Wilson supporter, I can confirm this as true.

Almost 65% of the NRL's television audience is in the youth demographic compared to slightly under 40% for the AFL. The only other sport with a comparable youth percentage is soccer but Rugby League audiences totally dominate soccer.

This is why I have said previously that Rugby League and Channel 10 are a natural fit, given 10's skew to a younger demographic.

dgsfan

Juniors
It would also favour League in the advertising department as well, because the younger demos are more important to TV nets.

docbrown

Coach
It would also favour League in the advertising department as well, because the younger demos are more important to TV nets.

Well it's also a myth that the disposable income of the AFL TV audience is bigger than the NRL's. The under 40's share of the NRL far exceeds the AFL's, not only in comparitive percentages, but in actual total audience numbers, not just nationally but also in the metros.

That's the market that has the largest share of disposable income.

And that's for a game that's pretty much only broadcast in 2 states. I have said it before and I will say it again. Rugby League is a television sporting giant that has barely reached its full potential. Expansion into the southern states and New Zealand will make us the biggest sporting code by far.

By comparison if these trends continue, in 20 years a significant proportion of the AFL's current overall audience will actually be dead, much more than the NRL's.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Surely someone has stolen bec's laptop and wrote that in her name. The part about the demographics and tv is intriging and i wooulld love to know the source for that one

seanoff

Juniors
7.6 million is the floor according to this with the additions added to this .. not after it

The salary cap, known officially as Total Player Payments, is A$8,212,500 for the 2011 season with a salary floor of $7,596,562.50 (except for the Gold Coast expansion team, whose salary cap will be A$9,212,500 with a salary floor of A$8,596,562.50).[

http://www.afl.com.au/portals/0/afl...collective_bargaining_agreement_2007_2011.pdf

(e) 2011 - $8,212,500.
11. 2 In calculation of the Total Player Payments for each AFL Club, the following
payments will not be taken into account:

(d) the percentage of Football Payments as determined in accordance with
clause 13.3 to Players nominated as veteran Players on the AFL Club’s
Primary List or included on the AFL Club’s Veterans List; (u could pay 800K but only 400K would count in the cap and for 2 players. this instantly ups the cap to $9m ie Parra could pay Hindmarsh 900K but only 450K counts to the salary cap)

(e) the Football Payments made to a Rookie temporarily promoted to the
Primary List of an AFL Club to replace a Player transferred to the Long
Term Injury List;

(f) subject to clause 16, payments made to a Player pursuant to a bona fide
marketing contract made in accordance with the Guidelines for Additional
Services Agreements; ($550K)

(g) testimonial payments made to an AFL Player in accordance with clause 15;

(h) Match payments (at the Player’s contract rate for Matches played in the AFL
Premiership Season) made to AFL Players participating in the AFL Finals
Series Matches or the finals allowance determined by AFL from year-toyear, whichever is the greater;

(j) 50% of Football Payments to Rookie Players nominated under clause 14;

(l) prize money paid to Players in accordance with paragraph 17 of Schedule B;

(m) top 5 draft pick recognition payments made to Players in accordance with
paragraph 2.7 of Schedule B

you can see where St Kilda could easily pay 11.5M.

The 7,596,000 number is 92.5% of the salary cap. you cannot pay below that number and that number still has all those exclusions.

Brutus

Referee
Well if Gallop is scared he should F*** Off and let someone who is willing to do the hard yards for our game do the negotiating.

I am sick of league getting screwed whilst the AFL gets an easy ride. Time to tell the networks what WE want not bow down to them.

I agree. That was the first Wilson article I have found interesting because she virtually challenges Gallop to grow a set of nuts for a change (in a roundabout way). She also hints that it's failure if RL doesn't usurp the AFL's deal.

What I can't work out is why it seems like Gallop is still doing the negotiating of this deal. The guy shouldn't be anywhere near negotiations.

Serc

First Grade
Very odd article indeed...I wonder what Mr Hartigan thinks...or is this some sort of wierd plan that we don't understand yet?

I feel dirty for asking this but...

why the fk is the swans game simulcast on both TEN and FOX SPORTS 1

I thought there were laws against this? Why can't origin do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.