What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel dirty for asking this but...

why the fk is the swans game simulcast on both TEN and FOX SPORTS 1

I thought there were laws against this? Why can't origin do this?

They put it on both because AFL fans aren't able to change channels properly without the help of a carer. They're not good with numbers.

21/5=3.033.

Get out of the thread queerbait.

Although I am no Wilson supporter, I can confirm this as true.

Almost 65% of the NRL's television audience is in the youth demographic compared to slightly under 40% for the AFL. The only other sport with a comparable youth percentage is soccer but Rugby League audiences totally dominate soccer.

This is why I have said previously that Rugby League and Channel 10 are a natural fit, given 10's skew to a younger demographic.

Which is why it's a pity their broke arse can't afford it. Hopefully they can pinch one game a week or something to prepare for a full bid later on.

Anywhere but nein

Indeed.

I cant wait until these merkins get punted.

Only a small illustration of their treatment of rugby league , but i was just watching the sports report on the today show and the oroder of their report went

AFL
super 15
Wimbledon

Then the NRL.

Any other network would lead with the sport they own the broadcast rights for.

Instead nine lead with 3 sports they dont own the rights for.

Only a small point , but still a telling one IMO.

Brutus

Referee
10 is getting rid of Sports Tonight as well.

Leaving Fox Sports News to carry the sports can during the week.

Interesting.

docbrown

Coach
Which is why it's a pity their broke arse can't afford it. Hopefully they can pinch one game a week or something to prepare for a full bid later on.

Well last year I heard rumours about Gallop and Murdoch meeting to discuss a potential 10/Foxtel simulcasting arrangement.

Now I'm hearing rumblings about meetings between 10 and Premier Group execs.

Do not be surprised if Premier Group effectively "loans" 10 the money to outbid 9's opener so they can split up the F2A rights and get their 8/9 game simulcast.

And do not be surprised to see 10 paying Fox to simulcast broadcasts of Fox Sports news to replace Sports Tonight as a cheaper alternative.

Cletus

First Grade
Well last year I heard rumours about Gallop and Murdoch meeting to discuss a potential 10/Foxtel simulcasting arrangement.

Now I'm hearing rumblings about meetings between 10 and Premier Group execs.

Do not be surprised if Premier Group effectively "loans" 10 the money to outbid 9's opener so they can split up the F2A rights and get their 8/9 game simulcast.

And do not be surprised to see 10 paying Fox to simulcast broadcasts of Fox Sports news to replace Sports Tonight as a cheaper alternative.

i thought Ten were getting Sky News? Anyway it's all good if they're talking about outbidding Nine, what worries me is if there is collusion between Ten and Fox so that they don't have to bid the maximum amount.

docbrown

Coach
i thought Ten were getting Sky News? Anyway it's all good if they're talking about outbidding Nine, what worries me is if there is collusion between Ten and Fox so that they don't have to bid the maximum amount.

Well the strategy with 10 appears to be going back to their 90's model - get cheap US content, shut down expensive local content - but now leasing subscription TV content (which they can now given their contacts...)

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the digital channels is closed and 10/11 are effectively merged.

Remember even if 10/Fox do put together a joint package, 9 can still beat the F2A component - or depending on what CVC allows - even bid for all the games in order to onsell them.

Fox still has to cover themselves and bid for their existing package, lest the F2A networks get the best picks of games and timeslots.

Cletus

First Grade
I don't think nine will have a problem with CVC. They want to list Nine and flog it off. No way will they do that without a sport, and they won't give two shits about the longterm health of Nine as long as they're not the ones wearing the losses.

docbrown

Coach
I don't think nine will have a problem with CVC. They want to list Nine and flog it off. No way will they do that without a sport, and they won't give two shits about the longterm health of Nine as long as they're not the ones wearing the losses.

It's just whether CVC is willing to pour that money into 9 in the short term so they can get it back by the float.

CVC knows though what money the NRL brings in. Given their position, they really can't afford to lose it.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Great, get rid of Sports tonight and replace it with fox sports news that shows 20 mins out of 30 towards AFL.

IanG

Coach
Personally I'd love to see all games on free to air and Foxtel can go f**k 'emselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts